2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lmagic77

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2021
Hey all, I am an international student taking the GDL and just received the unfortunate news that I will probably be unable to extend my visa through the summer and will have to go home to apply for the LPC visa. Unfortunately, this means that I won’t have the right to work in the UK during summer vacation scheme season (early June through early August). I already have a vacation scheme place at a US firm (Shearman & Sterling) this summer and several upcoming final stage interviews - does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Some of the firms I’ve got interviews at only take from their vacation scheme - is it worth begging for some sort of TC interview?

Does anyone know if firms are willing or able to have international students without visas partake in virtual vacation schemes?

AW_08

Valued Member
Dec 20, 2019
I applied on the 1st December for Kirkland's vac scheme and I've not heard anything since. I know they've held ACs/interviews, so I am assuming it is a PFO, but is it worth emailing the recruitment to get confirmation?

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
Hey all, I am an international student taking the GDL and just received the unfortunate news that I will probably be unable to extend my visa through the summer and will have to go home to apply for the LPC visa. Unfortunately, this means that I won’t have the right to work in the UK during summer vacation scheme season (early June through early August). I already have a vacation scheme place at a US firm this summer and several upcoming final stage interviews - does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Some of the firms I’ve got interviews at only take from their vacation scheme - is it worth begging for some sort of TC interview?

Does anyone know if firms are willing or able to have international students without visas partake in virtual vacation schemes?

You should be able to apply for a new visa within the UK. Many of my friends were successful in renewing their visa while staying in the UK with their previous visa. You should look into this.

Lmagic77

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2021
You should be able to apply for a new visa within the UK. Many of my friends were successful in renewing their visa while staying in the UK with their previous visa. You should look into this.
Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to - currently talking to solicitors and it’s quite complicated but I will probably have to go home for the summer!

BiancaR

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Does anyone have advice on applying for direct TCs if you've been rejected for a vacation scheme? Is it advisable just to change/edit your application or should you start again entirely?

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Does anyone have advice on applying for direct TCs if you've been rejected for a vacation scheme? Is it advisable just to change/edit your application or should you start again entirely?
    I guess it depends if it's the same firm but I don't see why you'd need to change it totally unless you've received feedback on it with things you need to improve! Your app might be perfect for the new firm you're applying to. But a bit of editing might be good if you're looking for idk grammar errors or something like that!

Reactions: BiancaR

tk166

Esteemed Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    random question, does anyone actually know what debevoise is strong at? I didn’t apply because I was under the impression its very litigation/international arbitration heavy but their NYC corporate practice is one of the best and they have a huge PE client-base, does that extend to London?

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Shearman PFO.

Will be eating Häagen Dasz and crying in the shower (and then following all the Kanye-Kim drama).
    Episode 1 Yes GIF by BBC Three

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_S

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Anyone else still waiting on:

IM (PLS, London), Dechert, TW, Boodle, Penningtons (for summer)?

I'm guessing Penningtons have had a lot of ACs already so assuming I'll be getting a PFO from them but have IM started responding for London yet?
    I applied to Penningtons (spring!) on 9 Dec and haven’t heard anything at all... I actually even asked GR for an update last week but radio silence so far :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.