Motivation and Deadlines Approaching

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same. Having faced a few rejections and with deadlines fast approaching, I am losing the motivation to continue my work on applications. I feel like last minute submissions is not the way to go but I still put my applications' work off. I also have the exam season coming up and need to focus more on academics? Any thoughts?

Reactions: Jaysen and AJ

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same. Having faced a few rejections and with deadlines fast approaching, I am losing the motivation to continue my work on applications. I feel like last minute submissions is not the way to go but I still put my applications' work off. I also have the exam season coming up and need to focus more on academics? Any thoughts?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The more time I spend on applications, the further and further I feel I fall away from doing well in my exams. And yet when I'm revising, I'm constantly thinking I should be doing applications, especially because I know other people will be applying also. At the moment I'm trying to dedicate the mornings doing application and afternoon/evening doing revision but it's a bit of a battle.

Reactions: Lawbour and gricole

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Then my suggestion is to use google calendar and organise your time. for example, I have 5 exams lined up; for each of these exams use a different colour and let's and you do the same for the list of law firms. So, on monday is contract law until 4 o'clock for which you have a yellow colour and then from 4 till 7:30 is norton rose for which you have a red colour. The result is that by looking at your calendar you know what to do.

Reactions: FreddyS

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. The more time I spend on applications, the further and further I feel I fall away from doing well in my exams. And yet when I'm revising, I'm constantly thinking I should be doing applications, especially because I know other people will be applying also. At the moment I'm trying to dedicate the mornings doing application and afternoon/evening doing revision but it's a bit of a battle.
    I think it's key that you don't beat yourself up about it. It's important to not berate yourself for not doing one while doing the other because you're being productive nonetheless and that's all you can hope for! You seem to be going down the right route, dedicating specific times/days to certain activities. Stick to it, congratulate yourself every day for doing the work you have done (which is getting you steps closer to your goal) and keep learning from your mistakes so you can put measures in place to make them successes instead!

FreddyS

Distinguished Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Then my suggestion is to use google calendar and organise your time. for example, I have 5 exams lined up; for each of these exams use a different colour and let's and you do the same for the list of law firms. So, on monday is contract law until 4 o'clock for which you have a yellow colour and then from 4 till 7:30 is norton rose for which you have a red colour. The result is that by looking at your calendar you know what to do.
    I think it's key that you don't beat yourself up about it. It's important to not berate yourself for not doing one while doing the other because you're being productive nonetheless and that's all you can hope for! You seem to be going down the right route, dedicating specific times/days to certain activities. Stick to it, congratulate yourself every day for doing the work you have done (which is getting you steps closer to your goal) and keep learning from your mistakes so you can put measures in place to make them successes instead!

Thanks guys, that's really helpful. It's very hard to focus on the positive stuff but I will try!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I admit it's a battle, especially when friends were meeting over Christmas and felt I couldn't. It's a roller coaster feeling all of the time and I completely sympathise with everyone's sentiments. I feel the same. I am confident that we will all get there in the end. The very fact that we spend time on this forum discussing applications, looking for advice, seeking to be the very best we can be is an indication of how motivated and committed we all are. And surely that is half of it! Keep at it forum friends.

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one who's been finding it difficult! I have always found juggling both uni work and writing quality applications a struggle - in the end, I chose to focus on my studies in final year as I reasoned that you only have one chance at your degree whereas you can always apply to VS/TCs the next year.

Now that I'm working full-time I hardly have any free time to do applications! I decided to take a more relaxed approach over Christmas to stop myself burning out and becoming too stressed. I cut 2 firms from my To Apply list and even though it was hard and felt a bit like a failure, I felt a lot more relieved for it and it gave me significantly more time to do the one I was already working on.

Ultimately it's a long road ahead but I'm holding onto the hope that everyone gets there eventually! Just trying to enjoy the process in the meantime, however difficult it is. I've found that doing a little each day, however tiny an amount, helps - e.g. on my morning commute, I make notes on any daily news I find interesting and listen to business podcasts!

Good luck with your apps everyone, we've got this! :)

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: phar, PMF_II, Hazal and 8 others

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one who's been finding it difficult! I have always found juggling both uni work and writing quality applications a struggle - in the end, I chose to focus on my studies in final year as I reasoned that you only have one chance at your degree whereas you can always apply to VS/TCs the next year.

Now that I'm working full-time I hardly have any free time to do applications! I decided to take a more relaxed approach over Christmas to stop myself burning out and becoming too stressed. I cut 2 firms from my To Apply list and even though it was hard and felt a bit like a failure, I felt a lot more relieved for it and it gave me significantly more time to do the one I was already working on.

Ultimately it's a long road ahead but I'm holding onto the hope that everyone gets there eventually! Just trying to enjoy the process in the meantime, however difficult it is. I've found that doing a little each day, however tiny an amount, helps - e.g. on my morning commute, I make notes on any daily news I find interesting and listen to business podcasts!

Good luck with your apps everyone, we've got this! :)

Well said and thank you very much!

Reactions: Selina

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.