2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a ‘silly’ question - are vac schemes usually 9-5 (or similar)? Or are the hours usually longer?
Typically firms encourage you only to work 'office hours' - typically 09:30 - 17:30. I know that in in-person vacation schemes, many firms would actually kick their schemers out of the office and encourage them to go home to relax/go out for dinner/drinks, and so on. However, from my experience in the virtual environment, a lot of schemers work post-17:30.

Note, most firms will not look too favourably on those who stay up late for the sake of it, or continue staying up late even though the work they were meant to complete should have been easily completed during the day (they will be able to tell you are active via Skype/Teams activity icon).

In summary, the expectation is 09:30 - 17:30; however, if you wanted to work later, that is up to your discretion. If you do work post 17:30, be discrete (you should not be doing it for show, and you are working post-17:30 because you really have to).

Finally, do not burn yourself out! I pushed myself really hard on my VSs, but I did so because I enjoyed it - this experience is meant to be a pleasant and beneficial one, after all!

SF1234

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 3, 2020
Typically firms encourage you only to work 'office hours' - typically 09:30 - 17:30. I know that in in-person vacation schemes, many firms would actually kick their schemers out of the office and encourage them to go home to relax/go out for dinner/drinks, and so on. However, from my experience in the virtual environment, a lot of schemers work post-17:30.

Note, most firms will not look too favourably on those who stay up late for the sake of it, or continue staying up late even though the work they were meant to complete should have been easily completed during the day (they will be able to tell you are active via Skype/Teams activity icon).

In summary, the expectation is 09:30 - 17:30; however, if you wanted to work later, that is up to your discretion. If you do work post 17:30, be discrete (you should not be doing it for show, and you are working post-17:30 because you really have to).

Finally, do not burn yourself out! I pushed myself really hard on my VSs, but I did so because I enjoyed it - this experience is meant to be a pleasant and beneficial one, after all!
Thank you!! Was just wondering because this summer is supposed to be a post covid heaven so hoping I can actually have some post work fun!

summer207

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2021
Really can’t stop thinking about how my commercial awareness exercise at TW went yesterday. I’m trying to stay positive but I know how hard I worked on my application and to get this stage and not do well at something I actually had the knowledge for is so disheartening. Trying to take my mind off it but I just end up crying. I didn’t apply to many firms because I had a lot going on personally last year so I’m only waiting to hear from 2, yeah idk just thought posting here would help :/

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Yeah, @Neville Birdi makes a really important point re staying later than 17:30 - it really isn't a good look if you are just trying to put 'facetime' in at the office and actually, it can end up annoying your supervisor/partner which is obviously not what you want at all. This is one of the positives law has over IB which seems to have the opposite culture!

If you have to stay late due to a cancelled train/assessment the next day then of course that's no issue but certainly don't be the vac schemer who uses a sleeping pod as that will never ever go down well especially if you take the place of a lawyer who needs it!

Obviously, virtual schemes are a bit different as you don't have to commute to the office and so people tend to work a bit later but for my virtual scheme last summer I imagine I finished 7:30 latest most days and occasionally a bit later if I had a deadline/assessment the next day if that's useful?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you!! Was just wondering because this summer is supposed to be a post covid heaven so hoping I can actually have some post work fun!
    Fingers crossed you can! Vac scheme socials are brilliant and you get to go to some really cool places/do some cool things - GradRec put a lot of effort into them so hopefully you're able to enjoy!

Last edited:
    Reactions: SF1234

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    hey guys, i've got through to final interview with W+C, it's tomorrow! one manic day ahead. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to approach the interview or written task? Case study tasks are where I fall down, time and time again.
    W+C is my favourite firm, and to get a VS here after so many rejections would be so so good. So any help would be super useful. Thank you!!
    Check my case study interview accessible via my signature, should help :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi, I was wondering how this trend of spacs would be affecting law firms/lawyers' work - im struggling to think of anything specific apart from them playing an advisory role. Would you be able to give some insight? thank you so much!
    Mainly, firms will need to be aware of this trend so they can advise on the nuances of listing this way and also internally be aware that they're likely to be launching a lot of floats using this method - especially for firms with large ECM/ Funds practices. Obviously, if regulatory measures changed around these types of floats they'd need to be aware of that, too, and prepared to advise. It might be that I've not had my usual number of coffees today but I can't think of masses else off the top of my head! Aside, of course, from normal commercial considerations as have been alluded to in other comments :)

Being completely honest, I think there are a lot of other commercial issues out there atm which are much more relevant to discuss in law firm interviews than this.

Edit: @Raam has already hit this nail on the head! Great CA content as usual!

frksch

Star Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    Really can’t stop thinking about how my commercial awareness exercise at TW went yesterday. I’m trying to stay positive but I know how hard I worked on my application and to get this stage and not do well at something I actually had the knowledge for is so disheartening. Trying to take my mind off it but I just end up crying. I didn’t apply to many firms because I had a lot going on personally last year so I’m only waiting to hear from 2, yeah idk just thought posting here would help :/
    I had this same thing a month ago when I did an interview for my DREAM firm and messed up a commercial awareness question that I 100% knew the answer to (I just freaked and completely avoided answering it). Went over and over how bad it went for nights afterwards and was so upset. But a month later I'm over it and on to bigger and better things !! (literally just got the feedback call and it didn't get me down). It's shit but it doesn't reflect on your abilities, so don't overthink it and don't think it's the be all and end all. Also people bomb interviews all the time and are successful so don't bank on a PFO yet. But yeah I'm sorry I know it sucks :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.