2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
How long do you generally spend preparing for a AC and how much time is considered healthy?
I normally just spend the day before prepping I’d say. I have the competency answers prepped from beforehand but regarding the technicals and motivational questions I just do them the day before. I found that doing not over preparing meant that I can have a conversation with the interviewer - I’d rather not know the answer and show the interviewer how I work it out rather than have a prepared answer for everything under the sun

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Soooo frustrated, my W&C interview was going so well until the last question which completely threw me and I had no clue what to say. So annoying throwing away an application you've worked so hard on in literally 20 seconds. Can only blame myself though for not doing enough research.
    Tripping up on one question or even multiple questions only to still make it to the AC stage is so common. It can be hard to not overthink every mistake or error but don’t count yourself out just yet!

• 🤝
    Reactions: corplaw123

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    How long do you generally spend preparing for a AC and how much time is considered healthy?
    One time a law firm told me a full month in advance about my AC date and I still only started prepping about a week in advance haha. I’ve said this before but ACs are like exams and no matter how much you prep you’ll probably never feel 100% prepared, so do what’s feasible for you. I whole heartedly agree with the little each day comment someone made. Breaking up what you need to do in parts and being systematic with what you need to cover on each day is a really good way to make sure you’re doing everything you can in manageable chunks.

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    W&C AC invite! Submitted my VI yesterday 30 min before deadline 😭 ...still can't believe it

Does anyone have any tips for the written exercise?
    Keep an eye on time, maybe set an alarm for 10-15m bursts so you know when to move on.

Have a clear structure, with headings, simple language, don't write everything in a huge paragraph because that's annoying af to read.

Include everything they tell you to include, it's easy to skip out on a bullet point, so don't!

Brush up on your commercial knowledge beforehand, it will definitely help.

If it helps, have a Word doc open and write your answer into there, then paste it into their box.

DM me if you have any other questions, but hope that helps!

• Love
    Reactions: michal98

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Depends a lot!

Most AC's I've done, I've known about for 2 weeks or more in advance and I've probably prepped for 10 days, spending more and more time each day leading up to it.

My Norton Rose Fulbright AC was a bit different as I only found out 48-27 hours in advance, so it was a bit of a rush to try and work on everything. Got there in the end though and got the VS!

I tend to think, with any sort of prep/ revision etc, that working well and focussing on the right things in the time you have are more important than spending "a lot of time" working on it as a general rule. I probably got more done in 36 net hours of prep time than I did in 50-60 hours of prep time for other ACs because I had to go full steam ahead and seriously focus in on the stuff I had time to. For example, that meant focussing on firm-specific questions rather than general competencies or non-firm-focussed answers for the most part, streamlining my research, memorising key bullet points and factoids etc rather than the more 'rounded' prep that I'd have otherwise done.

There's no particular right or wrong for how much time you 'should' spend prepping because there are so many variable factors: concentration, distractions, how quick you learn, what style of learning you adopt, whether it's your brain's sole focus or whether you've got other stuff (uni/ other ACs etc) on the side, how much sleep/ coffee you've had etc etc. It is also possible to over-prep - give your brain too much to remember, try and learn scripts for whole answers, being too prescriptive in your prep to the point of being unable to deal with anything unexpected, etc. All these things can lead to you actually not functioning as well on the day as you know you can! It's mainly a gut instinct thing, you'll know it when you're there instinctively :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.