Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Online tests aren't for everyone. I've been asked this a few times and thought it would be helpful if we had a list of firms that do and don't require you to complete some form of online test.

I've compiled the list below mostly using Chambers Student, so please let me know if any of the firms are in the wrong place, or if you have any more firms to add to the list (you guys were great when we compiled the rolling basis list).

Law firms which use an online test:
    • Allen & Overy (situational judgement test)
    • Baker McKenzie (Watson Glaser Test)
    • BCLP (online verbal aptitude test - for firm's purposes only/no weight on application for vac schemes)
    • Bird & Bird (Watson Glaser Test)
    • Browne Jacobson
    • Burges Salmon (at the Assessment Centre)
    • Clifford Chance (Watson Glaser Test)
    • CMS (critical reasoning test)
    • Cooley (critical thinking appraisal)
    • Dentons (Watson Glaser Test)
    • DLA Piper (verbal reasoning test)
    • Freshfields (Watson Glaser Test)
    • Gowling WLG (Skyrise City game (includes logical/abstract reasoning test)
    • Hogan Lovells (Watson Glaser Test)
      HSF (Short verbal reasoning test)
    • K&L Gates (online verbal reasoning test)
    • Kennedys (critical thinking test)
    • Linklaters (Watson Glaser)
    • Mayer Brown (online verbal reasoning and situational judgement test)
    • Mishcon de Reya (critical thinking and situational strengths)
    • Osborne Clarke (verbal reasoning test)
    • Pinsent Masons (at interview)
    • Reed Smith (online situational strengths test)
    • Simmons & Simmons (situational judgement test, then online logical and verbal reasoning test)
    • Taylor Wessing (game-based psychometric test)
    • Weil Gotshal & Manges (Watson Glaser Test)
    • Withers (numerical and verbal reasoning test)
    Law firms which do not use an online test:
    • Ashurst
    • Bristows
    • Clear Gottlieb
    • Clyde & Co
    • Davis Polk
    • Debevoise
    • Dechert
    • DWF
    • Eversheds
    • Gibson Dunn
    • Jones Day
    • Kirkland & Ellis
    • Latham & Watkins
    • Macfarlanes
    • MoFo
    • Norton Rose Fulbright
    • O’Melveny
    • Shearman & Sterling
    • Sidley Austin
    • Skadden
    • Slaughter and May
    • Sullivan & Cromwell
    • Travers Smith
    • Watson Farley & Williams
    • White & Case

Last edited:

Demna87

Distinguished Member
    Aug 23, 2018
    I think it might be worth also considering when firms ask you to complete the tests too, though. Burges Salmon do the online test once you get to the AC and last year grad rec said they don't place much weighting on it at all so even if online tests are not for you then it shouldn't be a barrier at Burges Salmon. Similarly, Baker McKenzie said as this is the first recruitment round that they have done the WG for they are not sure how involved it would be in the decision making process. I don't think Bakers use a SJT this year?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I think it might be worth also considering when firms ask you to complete the tests too, though. Burges Salmon do the online test once you get to the AC and last year grad rec said they don't place much weighting on it at all so even if online tests are not for you then it shouldn't be a barrier at Burges Salmon. Similarly, Baker McKenzie said as this is the first recruitment round that they have done the WG for they are not sure how involved it would be in the decision making process. I don't think Bakers use a SJT this year?

Thanks - updated Bakers and I'll flag up that Burges Salmon is once you get to the AC.

Anaya

Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2018
    Does anyone know what kind of SST and SRTs Mishcon use or the best way to practice for them? I got my invitation to do them about a month after submitting the app so not sure that everyone would get it automatically.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Does anyone know what kind of SST and SRTs Mishcon use or the best way to practice for them? I got my invitation to do them about a month after submitting the app so not sure that everyone would get it automatically.

I did an SST for Mishcon last cycle. I'm not sure if it is the same this cycle, but if I remember correctly there were lots of questions testing what you would do if you were in the position of a legal trainee at the firm - not dissimilar to A&O's SST this cycle. Assessment Day (https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/situational-judgement-test.htm) has some free tests that I think might be helpful if this is your first such test.

In general, for SSTs I think it is useful to know the firm's competencies inside out - so you may benefit from looking through the key competencies Mishcon is looking for.

Good luck. :)

Anaya

Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2018
    I did an SST for Mishcon last cycle. I'm not sure if it is the same this cycle, but if I remember correctly there were lots of questions testing what you would do if you were in the position of a legal trainee at the firm - not dissimilar to A&O's SST this cycle. Assessment Day (https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/situational-judgement-test.htm) has some free tests that I think might be helpful if this is your first such test.

In general, for SSTs I think it is useful to know the firm's competencies inside out - so you may benefit from looking through the key competencies Mishcon is looking for.

Good luck. :)

Thanks for the advice! Yes I think looking at their competencies and values would give me a good understanding of how a Mishcon employee would handle the situation and would help me think along the same lines. Any advice for the Critical Reasoning Test - was it quite tricky in your opinion or doable? Were the time limits they gave you comfortable?

Thank you!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Thanks for the advice! Yes I think looking at their competencies and values would give me a good understanding of how a Mishcon employee would handle the situation and would help me think along the same lines. Any advice for the Critical Reasoning Test - was it quite tricky in your opinion or doable? Were the time limits they gave you comfortable?

Thank you!

Unfortunately I really can't remember what the CRT was like! I seem to recall there was plenty of time to complete the tests though, and I remember the tests being fairly lengthy (I got really tired halfway through).

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Although BCLP do use a test, it holds no weight on your application. They haven't seen any evidence that shows these tests are a good indicator of performance and therefore, only ask you to complete it for their own research.
    Thanks Gareth, good to note.

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
    DLA (for a vac scheme) also have a numerical reasoning test in addition to the verbal reasoning test which you have to do prior to submitting your application. The invitation for the numerical test gets sent straight after submission.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.