Which Law Firms use an Online Test? 2018-19

Discussion in 'Vacation Schemes and Training Contracts 2018-19' started by Jaysen, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Roland

Roland Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Gowling WLG have a behaviour-based game test called Skyrise City (it's an app you need to download onto your phone or tablets). It's 10 games asking you to do different tasks with the last game being a logical/abstract reasoning test (very similar to the one for Simmons). I believe the score you get in each game is not the most important bit, but they are assessing how you react to the games and your ways of approaching the game, for example, when it gets harder, how would you react to it? They give you a very detailed feedback report right after completing the test regardless of the outcome of your application.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks, I will add this. That's an interesting way of assessing candidates - how did you find it?

3. Roland

Roland Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks Jaysen! The game-based test was very different to other law firms' tests (like Watson Glaser or SHL verbal reasoning). I found it very interactive and refreshing but at times could be quite intense as some games were not easy (and quite hardcore to be honest)! Given that I'm a gamer myself, I struggled with one game in which it's testing your reaction time and concentration. You may say this is unfair to some people who are not familiar with games, but I think what they are assessing is not how well you score or perform in the games but how you approach them and if you will 'give up' in adverse situations. Happy to share details if anyone else interested - just PM me :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Soliha

Soliha Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Ashurst has online test for 2019-2020 cycle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. W

W Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    What doess the Ashurst test involve? And what other firms for 2019-2020 definitely don't do tests?

6. Soliha

Soliha Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Here is the overview of the test which can be found on Ashurst website

Attached Files:

7. W

W Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    I saw that, I meant what does it actually involve? I've never done a test involving those platforms before.

8. Soliha

Soliha Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Ah I see. I have not done them yet. So I cant help now, sorry.

9. Julia

Julia New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey! I did the Ashurt tests a few weeks ago, and this is what each of the three tests was like:
    1) Values fit: quite standard - basically just a behavioural questionnaire type of test
    2) Cognify: this one is very different from anything I've seen! You complete some 'games' that show how good your verbal/logical/numerical reasoning is. You can get a good feel for how you've done at the end of each 'game' as you get a score. There are quite a lot of short games to complete (maybe around 10 or so, each taking <5 minutes)
    3) Emotify: this test looks at your emotional intelligence. You have to match emotions to expressions and say what emotion is appropriate based on different scenarios for example. It gets significantly more difficult as you progress through the test.

There isn't really a way of preparing for these tests in my opinion, maybe just by looking at the skills/values Ashurst looks for in their trainees. Hope this helps!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. W

W Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Great - thanks so much!!