Which Law Firms use an Online Test? 2018-19

Roland

Distinguished Member
Jan 10, 2019
Gowling WLG have a behaviour-based game test called Skyrise City (it's an app you need to download onto your phone or tablets). It's 10 games asking you to do different tasks with the last game being a logical/abstract reasoning test (very similar to the one for Simmons). I believe the score you get in each game is not the most important bit, but they are assessing how you react to the games and your ways of approaching the game, for example, when it gets harder, how would you react to it? They give you a very detailed feedback report right after completing the test regardless of the outcome of your application.

• 🏆
Reactions: Favour and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Gowling WLG have a behaviour-based game test called Skyrise City (it's an app you need to download onto your phone or tablets). It's 10 games asking you to do different tasks with the last game being a logical/abstract reasoning test (very similar to the one for Simmons). I believe the score you get in each game is not the most important bit, but they are assessing how you react to the games and your ways of approaching the game, for example, when it gets harder, how would you react to it? They give you a very detailed feedback report right after completing the test regardless of the outcome of your application.

Thanks, I will add this. That's an interesting way of assessing candidates - how did you find it?

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Thanks, I will add this. That's an interesting way of assessing candidates - how did you find it?

Thanks Jaysen! The game-based test was very different to other law firms' tests (like Watson Glaser or SHL verbal reasoning). I found it very interactive and refreshing but at times could be quite intense as some games were not easy (and quite hardcore to be honest)! Given that I'm a gamer myself, I struggled with one game in which it's testing your reaction time and concentration. You may say this is unfair to some people who are not familiar with games, but I think what they are assessing is not how well you score or perform in the games but how you approach them and if you will 'give up' in adverse situations. Happy to share details if anyone else interested - just PM me :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Julia

Jul 23, 2019
    I saw that, I meant what does it actually involve? I've never done a test involving those platforms before.

Hey! I did the Ashurt tests a few weeks ago, and this is what each of the three tests was like:
    1) Values fit: quite standard - basically just a behavioural questionnaire type of test
    2) Cognify: this one is very different from anything I've seen! You complete some 'games' that show how good your verbal/logical/numerical reasoning is. You can get a good feel for how you've done at the end of each 'game' as you get a score. There are quite a lot of short games to complete (maybe around 10 or so, each taking <5 minutes)
    3) Emotify: this test looks at your emotional intelligence. You have to match emotions to expressions and say what emotion is appropriate based on different scenarios for example. It gets significantly more difficult as you progress through the test.

There isn't really a way of preparing for these tests in my opinion, maybe just by looking at the skills/values Ashurst looks for in their trainees. Hope this helps!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen and Soliha

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    Hey! I did the Ashurt tests a few weeks ago, and this is what each of the three tests was like:
    1) Values fit: quite standard - basically just a behavioural questionnaire type of test
    2) Cognify: this one is very different from anything I've seen! You complete some 'games' that show how good your verbal/logical/numerical reasoning is. You can get a good feel for how you've done at the end of each 'game' as you get a score. There are quite a lot of short games to complete (maybe around 10 or so, each taking <5 minutes)
    3) Emotify: this test looks at your emotional intelligence. You have to match emotions to expressions and say what emotion is appropriate based on different scenarios for example. It gets significantly more difficult as you progress through the test.

There isn't really a way of preparing for these tests in my opinion, maybe just by looking at the skills/values Ashurst looks for in their trainees. Hope this helps!

Did you manage
    No just application then assessment centre.
    Do you know if BCLP have rolling or non rolling apps?

Serah O

Star Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Did you manage

Do you know if BCLP have rolling or non rolling apps?
    I think it is. If I recall correctly they said they will start reviewing application and issuing AC invites in mid November. I could be thinking of another firm so take that with a grain of salt.
    The only other info I made notes on is the weighting of the application sections. More than 50% of the focus is placed on how you answer the application questions, followed by academics, then work experience and extra-curricular activities/hobbies.
    They are also fine with work experience being in bullet points.

Reactions: nyasha

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    I think it is. If I recall correctly they said they will start reviewing application and issuing AC invites in mid November. I could be thinking of another firm so take that with a grain of salt.
    The only other info I made notes on is the weighting of the application sections. More than 50% of the focus is placed on how you answer the application questions, followed by academics, then work experience and extra-curricular activities/hobbies.
    They are also fine with work experience being in bullet points.
    Thank you, so I guess you need to start submitting apps by end of Nov then? But the deadline is Jan 2020 right?

Hattie coleman

Sep 4, 2019
    Online tests aren't for everyone. I've been asked this a few times and thought it would be helpful if we had a list of firms that do and don't require you to complete some form of online test.

I've compiled the list below mostly using Chambers Student, so please let me know if any of the firms are in the wrong place, or if you have any more firms to add to the list (you guys were great when we compiled the rolling basis list).

Law firms which use an online test:
    • Allen & Overy (situational judgement test)
    • Baker McKenzie (Watson Glaser Test)
    • BCLP (online verbal aptitude test - for firm's purposes only/no weight on application for vac schemes)
    • Bird & Bird (Watson Glaser Test)
    • Browne Jacobson
    • Burges Salmon (at the Assessment Centre)
    • Clifford Chance (Watson Glaser Test)
    • CMS (critical reasoning test)
    • Cooley (critical thinking appraisal)
    • Dentons (Watson Glaser Test)
    • DLA Piper (verbal reasoning test)
    • Freshfields (Watson Glaser Test)
    • Gowling WLG (Skyrise City game (includes logical/abstract reasoning test)
    • Hogan Lovells (Watson Glaser Test)
      HSF (Short verbal reasoning test)
    • K&L Gates (online verbal reasoning test)
    • Kennedys (critical thinking test)
    • Linklaters (Watson Glaser)
    • Mayer Brown (online verbal reasoning and situational judgement test)
    • Mishcon de Reya (critical thinking and situational strengths)
    • Osborne Clarke (verbal reasoning test)
    • Pinsent Masons (at interview)
    • Reed Smith (online situational strengths test)
    • Simmons & Simmons (situational judgement test, then online logical and verbal reasoning test)
    • Taylor Wessing (game-based psychometric test)
    • Weil Gotshal & Manges (Watson Glaser Test)
    • Withers (numerical and verbal reasoning test)
    Law firms which do not use an online test:
    • Ashurst
    • Bristows
    • Clear Gottlieb
    • Clyde & Co
    • Davis Polk
    • Debevoise
    • Dechert
    • DWF
    • Eversheds
    • Gibson Dunn
    • Jones Day
    • Kirkland & Ellis
    • Latham & Watkins
    • Macfarlanes
    • MoFo
    • Norton Rose Fulbright
    • O’Melveny
    • Shearman & Sterling
    • Sidley Austin
    • Skadden
    • Slaughter and May
    • Sullivan & Cromwell
    • Travers Smith
    • Watson Farley & Williams
    • White & Case
    Ashurst now do use psychometric testing- called 'Revelian'. I just got rejected on the back of it, which was disappointing.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.