KENNEDYS SQE TRAINING PROGRAMME

zara elles

Valued Member
Dec 24, 2020
I have received my timetable, and after the first few paragraphs it says, “Following this, you will be invited to a strengths based interview”.

On the chart at the bottom it then says my interview date, which is nearly 2 weeks after my AC? Is this the strengths interview, or a separate interview?
that’s strange, i’m pretty sure I saw some people on here having their interview the day after the AC

Reactions: Lilz

TT98

Star Member
Sep 27, 2020
Was it purely straightforward strengths based questions or did they sneak in any cheeky commercial awareness/competency based questions?
It was purely strengths-based! They were pretty straightforward questions, there were no commercial questions or anything like that. I think if you pass this interview, you get invited to a partner interview, which is where I suspect that the commercial/competency-based questions come up. Good Luck, it is honestly not that bad!!

Oroma

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2020
Was it purely straightforward strengths based questions or did they sneak in any cheeky commercial awareness/competency based questions?
Mine was purely straightforward strength based. They snuck in how to manage complex info and how I deal with deal with having many deadlines. Maybe that’s more competency but I didn’t use a law related example when answering the many deadlines questions. My interviewer said she wanted to know me outside law so I should be calm and be myself and I could use any examples I wanted to explain my points. She was really pleasant and we actually spoke more about life than anything law related.

Oroma

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2020
She also started with telling me she was a trainee not too long ago so I should be calm and I should remember that she’s been here before so she easily made it like a normal conversation more than an “interview”.

Oroma

Legendary Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oooh how did yours go? Mine was okay, both of our connections kept cutting out which was annoying! But overall, it was a really nice interview (I think lol). Do you know when we are expected to hear back by?
I have no idea when to expect to hear back but after my AC on Thursday grad rec said to us all 2-3 weeks because they still had AC’s running this week but I don’t know how reliable that info is! I had mine on Friday last week. It went well tbh. It didn’t feel like an interview. Felt like a normal convo. I will probably email soon to so I can manage my expectations regarding hearing back.

Lilz

Esteemed Member
Dec 16, 2020
Bit of a silly question sorry but what's the difference between a competency based interview and a strength based interview and what kind of questions come up in both?
A competency based interview is more situational, I.e. describe a time when you have led a team, or a time when you have resolved conflict.

A strength based interview is more about you and your interests, e.g. what tasks make you feel energetic, what do you enjoy doing in your spare time, greatest achievemement etc.

Sop1521

Mar 18, 2021
Hey,
hope everyone’s AC’s went well.
I was wondering how everyone prepared for their AC?
There's not much you can do to prepare really! Doing the virtual work experience gives you an idea of what the tasks are going to be like but the ones in the AC are a bit different and you have to complete them in a shorter time frame

Reactions: Oroma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.