2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Would it be viewed as negatively if I used the same experience twice in an application form? I have to answer a bunch of STAR questions and for two of them, I am giving examples that came from the same experience. I am worried about using the same experience twice, but I just cannot come up with other examples that are as relevant.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would it be viewed as negatively if I used the same experience twice in an application form? I have to answer a bunch of STAR questions and for two of them, I am giving examples that came from the same experience. I am worried about using the same experience twice, but I just cannot come up with other examples that are as relevant.
    When you say same experience, is it from the same activity (eg the same job but different scenarios) or is it the same scenario?

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Just for future interview reference, what are peoples opinions on the question:

Who do you admire most and why?
    (Or variations of that question)

Is it appropriate to say a family member, if it’s answered well?

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020

definitely, yes! I always talk about my aunt and my interviewers have been really interested whenever it came up. As long as you can justify it I think it's all good

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes, perfectly acceptable if there is substance beyond them being a family member.

• 🤝
    Reactions: StudentOfLaw21 and Hele25

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

I think so. In the past, I've talked about a family member who overcame a physical disability to succeed, or, failing that (if the question is more along the lines of who would you invite to dinner etc), I have mentioned my favourite niche sporting hero.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Yes, perfectly acceptable if there is substance beyond them being a family member.
    I think so. In the past, I've talked about a family member who overcame a physical disability to succeed, or, failing that (if the question is more along the lines of who would you invite to dinner etc), I have mentioned my favourite niche sporting hero.
    definitely, yes! I always talk about my aunt and my interviewers have been really interested whenever it came up. As long as you can justify it I think it's all good
    Thanks so much!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I was wondering how the training contract interviews (at the end of the vac scheme) are different to the usual interviews from your experiences? @Dheepa @Jacob Miller @Daniel Boden and anyone else with experience! Thank you

Hi, I missed this a few days ago but I've linked a really detailed post I made touching on this below. Just going to re-iterate that if your VVS involves doing fixed assessments, there's a much higher chance that your TC interview will be more traditional (competencies, why this firm etc.). If the VVS does involve doing live work and actually interacting with people at the firm more tangibly outside of just talks and presentations, then it's more likely to be more reflective (although I wouldn't say that alone makes it any less rigorous)

• ℹ️
    • Love
    Reactions: layla rose and Matt_96

StudentOfLaw21

Apr 3, 2021
    Hey! the same thing happened with me for the first question and it just said I have run out of time. I've emailed graduate recruitment but they haven't gotten back to me as yet. Did they respond to you?

We would not hear back from them today as it's a bank holiday, but hoping those who had tech difficulties will be contacted in the next few days!

Sorry to hear you had the same issue! It's already stressful enough without the tech issue 😅

Reactions: MFK and Nnu

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Guys, would you put non-paid roles under "previous employment" section in an application.
    I have done a few non-paid roles e.g. at a legal advice centre, but I don't know if this will be seen as "employment".

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Guys, would you put non-paid roles under "previous employment" section in an application.
    I have done a few non-paid roles e.g. at a legal advice centre, but I don't know if this will be seen as "employment".
    I usually put any big or long lasting pro bono placements under work history/experience unless they have a section about volunteering!

Reactions: Kola

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, you can include these either in employment or if you would prefer, put it in a volunteering section on a CV. Some people choose to put these things in extra curriculars too - it's one.of the grey areas where it could fit into different sections depending on the rest of your experiences and where you think works best

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.