2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anon 11031

Thank you so much! I think you're right... I get it stuck in my head that it has to be these particular things (sports or charity work, etc), when it can really be anything.

Thank you for your help ❤️
No worries, if you want to talk through anything or just have a second pair of eyes my DMs are always open!

You got this!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I feel like I don't have enough things such as extra curricular activities, scholarships, achievements, etc.

In fact, I have nothing for the last two! I don't know if its me just being hard on myself when looking at achievements and underselling myself?

Does anyone have any examples of valid achievements they can think of so I can judge whether or not it's just me being negative or whether I actually don't have any? 🤣
    You could mention a really good grade you got for a module or paper, any sports you’ve been involved in even if it was something like ‘Cancer Walk’ to raise awareness, learning a language or an instrument, art etc… Basically extra curricular activities are things that you have a genuine interest in and they don’t necessarily have to be academic. It’s a great way to show how you developed certain skills for e.g I love baking and I explain how baking involves a lot of precision and the need to be meticulous because too much flour or lack of it could result in a total failure. A future trainee would definitely need to show a great attention to detail and precision when drafting and going over documents.

An achievement could be something you struggled with for e.g a module but then ended up getting good grades. Also mentoring or tutoring a student, setting up a blog or website. In a previous job I succeeded in convincing an international clothing brand to partner with us and I consider that to be a great achievement.

A

Anon 11031

You could mention a really good grade you got for a module or paper, any sports you’ve been involved in even if it was something like ‘Cancer Walk’ to raise awareness, learning a language or an instrument, art etc… Basically extra curricular activities are things that you have a genuine interest in and they don’t necessarily have to be academic. It’s a great way to show how you developed certain skills for e.g I love baking and I explain how baking involves a lot of precision and the need to be meticulous because too much flour or lack of it could result in a total failure. A future trainee would definitely need to show a great attention to detail and precision when drafting and going over documents.

An achievement could be something you struggled with for e.g a module but then ended up getting good grades. Also mentoring or tutoring a student, setting up a blog or website. In a previous job I succeeded in convincing an international clothing brand to partner with us and I consider that to be a great achievement.
    Good to see a fellow baker on the forum 🥐👩‍🍳

• Love
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I feel like I don't have enough things such as extra curricular activities, scholarships, achievements, etc.

In fact, I have nothing for the last two! I don't know if its me just being hard on myself when looking at achievements and underselling myself?

Does anyone have any examples of valid achievements they can think of so I can judge whether or not it's just me being negative or whether I actually don't have any? 🤣
    Fundraising for charity, promotions at work, any awards or prizes achieved at school/university, being elected on to a society committee, organising something that was successful, coming up with any idea that when implemented was successful.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I'm huge on different types of bread. Other than that, polenta cakes etc! My favourite is the rose and pistachio polenta cake! What about you? ☺️
    Oh wow, I've never made bread before tbh lol I like to bake stuff like carrot cake, red velvet cake, victoria sponge cake, cheesecakes lol basically all the sweet cakes, cupcakes, swiss rolls, tartes and pies 😂 I also enjoy making savoury pastries.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021

Fundraising for charity, promotions at work, any awards or prizes achieved at school/university, being elected on to a society committee, organising something that was successful, coming up with any idea that when implemented was successful.

Thank you so much guys! I am going to write up a word document with the help of my mum to jog my memory about things I have done, and I think I do actually have a fairly decent list. I was just being hard on myself about it all!

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.