Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How about contacting references and what would happen in the instance that a firm contacts your references and they don’t respond?
Depends on the firm. Some ask for references pre interview. They will always tell you either on the application form or at point they will request the references that is what they will do though.

They contact you to ask for another reference.

Reactions: JayC

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
Jan 8, 2021
I am starting the GDL soon and wondered if I should prepare for something in advance? Can anyone who has done the GDL/PGDL share their insights with me, please? :) Also, is anyone aware of good platforms to get notes/books for the course? :) Any advice is much appreciated!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
I am starting the GDL soon and wondered if I should prepare for something in advance? Can anyone who has done the GDL/PGDL share their insights with me, please? :) Also, is anyone aware of good platforms to get notes/books for the course? :) Any advice is much appreciated!
Hi! I'm starting GDL at ULaw in September and also keen for similar info.

YourGDL and GDL Answered haven't released the updated versions yet (I think both should be out soon), which is irritating as I'd go through them otherwise. I did get Glanville Williams' Learning the Law in the meantime, which I think should be helpful for overall approach and the basic module on the legal system. I also found some Youtube channels (The Law Simplified, The Law Bank and Studicata) that seem helpful for explaining concepts and cases?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi! I'm starting GDL at ULaw in September and also keen for similar info.

YourGDL and GDL Answered haven't released the updated versions yet (I think both should be out soon), which is irritating as I'd go through them otherwise. I did get Glanville Williams' Learning the Law in the meantime, which I think should be helpful for overall approach and the basic module on the legal system. I also found some Youtube channels (The Law Simplified, The Law Bank and Studicata) that seem helpful for explaining concepts and cases?
    Hey, I am nearing the end of my GDL at ULaw. Before you start they'll ask you to do a course called Legal Methods, which is just a real basic intro to law. If you're already watching videos then you'll be well-prepared for it :) YourGDL and GDL Answered won't really help you until you start the course as they set out structures for how to answer exam questions, which won't make much sense until you actually start the course (unless you buy the case books and just start churning through the cases). If you're starting at ULaw in September you should be able to order your books already via Elite and start reading.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I have my dentons AC on the 12th, but I haven't received the guide GR said they would send a week prior to AC dates. They had to move my AC because of firm unavailabilities so maybe they have forgotten (I've sent an email) but I'm worried that this is going to disadvantage me now :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have my dentons AC on the 12th, but I haven't received the guide GR said they would send a week prior to AC dates. They had to move my AC because of firm unavailabilities so maybe they have forgotten (I've sent an email) but I'm worried that this is going to disadvantage me now :(
    When did you email? If more than a few days, then give them a call this morning.

I doubt you will be at a disadvantage in all honestyz

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    Good morning @Jessica Booker

I am now looking forward to the upcoming cycle and I can see the start dates for training contracts will be 2023/2024 - does this mean I will be enrolled on the SQE rather than the LPC?

I am a recent law graduate for reference.

Also, a bit confused what is the main difference between the LPC and SQE is the SQE harder?

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

I am now looking forward to the upcoming cycle and I can see the start dates for training contracts will be 2023/2024 - does this mean I will be enrolled on the SQE rather than the LPC?

Also, a bit confused what is the main difference between the LPC and SQE is the SQE harder?
    Can I just add something to this also.

@Jessica Booker if we have confirmed a LPC place for January or May start next year will we still be able to do the LPC if we secure a training contract before then.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

There is likely to be a mix of SQE and LPc training contracts for 2023/24 - it's worthwhile checking with the firm in question as to what the route will be.

The SQE is just a set of exams while the LPC is a course. You could just rock up to the exams having taken no educational training what so ever, while the LPC is a course that you have to attend to then be able to take the exams.

It is considered that the SQE will be harder purely because there are two sets of assessments (SQE1 and SQE2) and that the type of assessments are based on the QLTS (the system qualified lawyers in other countries currently take do qualify in Englans and Wales) and pass rates for the QLTS have historically been lower than the SQE.

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I just add something to this also.

@Jessica Booker if we have confirmed a LPC place for January or May start next year will we still be able to do the LPC if we secure a training contract before then.
    Well you could continue to do the LPC - that will exempt you from SQE1. However the firm who gives you the TC could still require you to qualify via the SQE, and so you’d have to weigh up whether it was worthwhile continuing with the LPC or not.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    Well you could continue to do the LPC - that will exempt you from SQE1. However the firm who gives you the TC could still require you to qualify via the SQE, and so you’d have to weigh up whether it was worthwhile continuing with the LPC or not.
    So in other words, I’ll rather not do the LPC and wait for a TC offer?

I assume the SQE is just a pass or fail then, unlike the LPC where you can get a commendation or distinction?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So in other words, I’ll rather not do the LPC and wait for a TC offer?

I assume the SQE is just a pass or fail then, unlike the LPC where you can get a commendation or distinction?
    You get a score on the SQE - there isn’t a classification system, but it’s expected some firms may look for stronger score in the SQE in time.

The LPC will give you an exemption for SQE1 so may be worthwhile continuing with. You really need to find out from the firms you are applying to whether they are doing the SQE or LPC route first though to weigh up your own personal circumstances as to what route is best for you.

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know Freshfield's watson glaser cut off score? thanks!
    It won’t be a cut off score, it will be a percentile. Probably somewhere between the 50-70th percentile for most firms, but that doesn’t mean a lot really (as you don’t know who you are being ranked against to get your percentile ranking).

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Thank you for this and I understand what you mean.

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    You get a score on the SQE - there isn’t a classification system, but it’s expected some firms may look for stronger score in the SQE in time.

The LPC will give you an exemption for SQE1 so may be worthwhile continuing with. You really need to find out from the firms you are applying to whether they are doing the SQE or LPC route first though to weigh up your own personal circumstances as to what route is best for you.
    Thank you - I’ll do that now :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.