2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FK7991

Jun 21, 2021
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker/admirer of the forums and how supportive you all are here.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of/advice on the Forsters AC that they’d be willing to share? 😊

I applied a couple of days before the deadline and received the invite to AC yesterday evening at c.6.30pm.

Thank you and hope you all have a lovely weekend! 🥰

Reactions: Simba281
D

Deleted member 2707

PFO from Stephenson Harwood, so if you haven't heard yet I'd take that as good news! Waiting on:

Arnold & Porter
Dorsey
Penningtons
Ince (but I've heard they've sent out interview invites so expecting my PFO any day now)
Sorry to hear that- best of luck with your later applications! If you don't mind me asking, was your PFO pre or post-WG test?

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
I applied to Stephenson Harwood and received an 'online critical reasoning test' today! 2 questions on this:

1. Has anyone who applied to SH have any insight on what the test entails- I've browsed the website but haven't been able to glean much details. (Also, is it automatic?)
2. The deadline is within 48 hours- I have just taken my vaccine and feel quite whoozy. I've already emailed them this to let them know and perhaps ask for another deadline. However, I'm worried that they won't see my email until the deadline has passed, seeing as its the weekend. Should I just do the test in the meantime? @Jessica Booker or anyone with experience with Grad Rec, perhaps you could give some insight?
Hey, it’s a standard Watson glaser test and it’s not automatic :)

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    Received a call today from a partner and was informed that I got a TC at Slaughter and May!!

I feel super happy especially given that I was an international student and it was extremely difficult to get through the applications stage.

I applied for 2 cycles and after literally dozens of rejections only a few applications were successful. Anyway, what is important is only getting only one right and it's amazing to achieve something like this despite the odds.

Many thanks to the forum for a lot of advice that I was able to pick up here and also for motivational stories that kept my head high whenever I started doubting myself.

On to the TC adventure!
    @Sabotage Massive congratulations on your TC! I am facing a similar situation currently, and was wondering if you could answer a few questions. I am a penultimate year international law student, having studied my LLB outside the UK, but a British citizen.

Which firms did you apply to that accepted your application as an international student? Or which you think did not place you at a disadvantage despite not having done a degree in the UK? Further, do you think the vacation scheme or TC process is more likely to result in an acceptance for international students?

Thank you so much!

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Another question to ask regarding application questions.

I've a request to provide examples of when I have demonstrated attributes of ''always professional but ensuring that I'm friendly and approachable''. I feel that my answers for other questions are already so similar. I've used a mix of university and professional work examples, just unsure on this one as I'd like it to be as good as possible.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Also guys, quick question to anyone who has received a TC. This is for a friend btw*
    When accepting a TC, is it standard practice for the firm to ask to see your degree classification certificate?
    Like how does the process go.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Also guys, quick question to anyone who has received a TC. This is for a friend btw*
    When accepting a TC, is it standard practice for the firm to ask to see your degree classification certificate?
    Like how does the process go.
    Can be done at offer stage or might be done as part of the full verification process (eg full employment and academic checks). If part of the full process, that typically isn't done until 4-6 months before you start your TC, although some firms are doing it earliest ensure you do pass verification processes a bead of receiving funding for LPC/SQE

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Can be done at offer stage or might be done as part of the full verification process (eg full employment and academic checks). If part of the full process, that typically isn't done until 4-6 months before you start your TC, although some firms are doing it earliest ensure you do pass verification processes a bead of receiving funding for LPC/SQE
    How about contacting references and what would happen in the instance that a firm contacts your references and they don’t respond?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.