TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

It's back! Please use this master thread to discuss anything related to vacation scheme applications for the 2021-2022 application cycle. This can include everything from application and interview queries to news from particular law firms.

Useful Links
    TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (for all general queries and discussion)
    TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion 2021-22 (for direct training contract applicants)
    Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2020-21 (last year's vacation scheme thread)

A huge good luck to everyone this cycle.

Thanks,

Jaysen

Last edited:

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    A&O Winter VS application - they have an optional section for you to upload a CV and Cover Letter - Should I upload these? The rest of the application already includes a section on work experience and extracurriculars, as well as a question on how I would apply the skills I picked up during work experience / extracurricular activities to the trainee role at A&O. I'm afraid the CV and Cover Letter will be repetitive (plus they don't mention them on the graduate recruitment website I believe) but maybe it's best to write them anyway?

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    A&O Winter VS application - they have an optional section for you to upload a CV and Cover Letter - Should I upload these? The rest of the application already includes a section on work experience and extracurriculars, as well as a question on how I would apply the skills I picked up during work experience / extracurricular activities to the trainee role at A&O. I'm afraid the CV and Cover Letter will be repetitive (plus they don't mention them on the graduate recruitment website I believe) but maybe it's best to write them anyway?
    I would like to know this as well - @Jessica Booker, would you be able to give valuable advice? :)

@Neville Birdi - would you be able to assist here? Thank you

Last edited:
    Reactions: BobG2 and sm2020

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would like to know this as well - @Jessica Booker, would you be able to give valuable advice? :)

@Neville Birdi - would you be able to assist here? Thank you
    Personally if it's optional I wouldn't bother unless you feel you need to include some additional information that doesn't naturally fit into the application form.

More likely than not it's just a quirk of the applicant tracking system.

Reactions: BobG2

kr

Standard Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    Hey everyone,

In the the A&O Winter VS application, there are these two questions "Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. And "Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful". Both are 250 words max.

This might be a silly question but do you think it is better to use bullet points or short paragraphs when answering these questions?

Any advice would be helpful, thank you :)

Reactions: OB and JoNo

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    Hey everyone,

In the the A&O Winter VS application, there are these two questions "Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. And "Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful". Both are 250 words max.

This might be a silly question but do you think it is better to use bullet points or short paragraphs when answering these questions?

Not a silly question at all! I've been advised that prose is better than bullet points in general in these applications, so I'd go with paragraphs personally :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone,

I’d write in prose - just very concise prose.

Reactions: OB

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey everyone,

Sorry to ask this but are these the two application questions for the A&O winter vacation scheme.

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    Hi everyone, good luck with the applications!
    I had a question about the whole experience part. Do you include positions on societies and stuff under work experience or try incorporating them in the answers to the questions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, good luck with the applications!
    I had a question about the whole experience part. Do you include positions on societies and stuff under work experience or try incorporating them in the answers to the questions?
    No - society positions should not be in work experience, they should be in any extra curricular section if there is one. If there isn’t, then the firm isn’t as interested in them. They can be woven into statements/cover letters or competency answers where appropriate though.

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.