PGDL Jan 2022 at Ulaw vs SQE

Adsk811

Aug 31, 2021
Hi everyone.
I am sorry if this has been asked before but here goes: My question is based on my future career choice of wanting to qualify as a lawyer in UK.

I have been offered PGDL at Ulaw and I ended up deferring it to January 2022. Course start date shows as 31st Jan 2022. While I intend to qualify as a Lawyer in the United Kingdom, I am confused whether PGDL is the way to go especially in 2022 since the arrival of SQE.

Is PGDL a valid option for a Lawyer with 5 years experience in India who want to qualify as a lawyer in UK? Or Shall I just wait for SQE courses to be more clear?

I am hoping to sort my Visa and be able to qualify. So, PGDL in 2022 is a yay or nay for an Indian Lawyer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone.
I am sorry if this has been asked before but here goes: My question is based on my future career choice of wanting to qualify as a lawyer in UK.

I have been offered PGDL at Ulaw and I ended up deferring it to January 2022. Course start date shows as 31st Jan 2022. While I intend to qualify as a Lawyer in the United Kingdom, I am confused whether PGDL is the way to go especially in 2022 since the arrival of SQE.

Is PGDL a valid option for a Lawyer with 5 years experience in India who want to qualify as a lawyer in UK? Or Shall I just wait for SQE courses to be more clear?

I am hoping to sort my Visa and be able to qualify. So, PGDL in 2022 is a yay or nay for an Indian Lawyer?
You shouldn’t need to do the PGDL - it is ultimately only a SQE prep course for you in this situation as you won’t be eligible to take the LPC route to qualification.

As a qualified lawyer in India, you only need to take the SQE assessments to become qualified - you have no work experience requirements. I also suspect a lot of your learning in Indian law will apply to English law, and so a prep course is probably the better option (cheaper, shorter etc).

Adsk811

Aug 31, 2021
Thank you Jessica, you are very helpful. I was unsure why Ulaw is insisting that I must do PGDL! You have cleared my doubt.
Wish you (&me) all the best with our careers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica, you are very helpful. I was unsure why Ulaw is insisting that I must do PGDL! You have cleared my doubt.
Wish you (&me) all the best with our careers.
Because they are trying to sell you a course that was once compulsory (although as a qualified lawyer you didn’t have to do it even in the past system, you could have taken the QLTS instead), and is no longer compulsory. A large part of their marketing tactics is to rely on naivety especially with international applicants (unfortunately).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.