SQE1 November 2021

NAK1882

Sep 25, 2021
Hi, I am taking the SQE1 exam in November this year and wondered if anyone else was taking the exam too?
I chose QLTS as my prep provider - if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Reactions: CJCH

W5690

Nov 4, 2019
Hi, I am taking the SQE1 exam in November this year and wondered if anyone else was taking the exam too?
I chose QLTS as my prep provider - if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
Hi @NAK1882,

Further to your message, I would like to ask whether you have you been satisfied with QLTS. How has your preparation for the SQE1 exam been going so far? Also, could you please let me know about your academic background?

I am asking you these questions as I am wondering whether I would rather enrol in an SQE preparation course that would cover the areas of law that are taught as part of a bachelor's degree in law and, by extension, as part of a law conversion course, e.g. the PGDL, in order to also allow me to master the foundational legal knowledge in-depth, or enrol in a law conversion course as long as the latter is also designed to prepare for the SQE1 exam. I would then be interested in your views. As way of academic background, I am an international student who studied Law for five years at the university in France where I obtained an undergraduate degree, a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and a postgraduate degree (a five-year degree, based on a competitive selection process). Although my academic background is in civil law and not in common law, I am obviously not new to the field of Law, intensive law degrees/courses, and a huge amount of written and oral exams within those five years studying Law. Also, although completing a qualifying law degree or a conversion law course is no longer a regulatory requirement by the SRA, some law firms still expect trainees to have completed a qualifying law degree or a law conversion course prior to embarking on the SQE.

I would like to add that I am completely aware of the fact that the decision is very unique to my personal circumstances. Also, I have already researched a lot about all of this, attended several webinars, and asked questions in light of my personal circumstances. However, even though my initiatives have been helpful, I have not been able to make an informed decision yet. I would then really appreciate your thoughts. In any case, any tips, advice and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time, and good luck with the SQE1 exam.

Last edited:

Grafro

Oct 16, 2021
Hi, why did you choose Qlts school? I'm between choosing Qlts school or Barbri.

Thank you in advance.

W5690

Nov 4, 2019
Hi, why did you choose Qlts school? I'm between choosing Qlts school or Barbri.

Thank you in advance.
Hello,

Did you make your choice between QLTS School and Barbri? If so, what was/were your criterion/criteria?

Also, have you already started the preparation for the SQE1 exam with one of those two providers? If so, how has it been going so far?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Grafro

Oct 16, 2021
Hello,

Did you make your choice between QLTS School and Barbri? If so, what was/were your criterion/criteria?

Also, have you already started the preparation for the SQE1 exam with one of those two providers? If so, how has it been going so far?

Many thanks.
Hi Laura,

I haven't decided yet, I'm currently waiting for the SQE programmed for November 22nd for feedback between QLTS School and Barbri.

I am qualified lawyer in a civil law jurisdiction ( Spain), I'm inclined to QLTS school just for the amount of mock tests.

W5690

Nov 4, 2019

Hi @NAK1882

Did you take the SQE1 FLK1 and FLK2? If so, how did you find the exams? Did you feel that the questions were more difficult than the mock tests/questions (which I suspect)? Would you have any recommendations to provide? Also, what about time management during the exams?

Many thanks.

W5690

Nov 4, 2019
Hi Laura,

I haven't decided yet, I'm currently waiting for the SQE programmed for November 22nd for feedback between QLTS School and Barbri.

I am qualified lawyer in a civil law jurisdiction ( Spain), I'm inclined to QLTS school just for the amount of mock tests.

Hi @Grafro

Many thanks for your reply.

Have you heard about people who took the SQE1 FLK1 and FLK2 in November? If so, how did they find the exams? Did they feel that the questions were more difficult than the mock tests/questions (which I suspect)? Did they self-study via QLTS School/Barbri, etc or did they enrol in a course via BPP/University of Law, etc?

As an international student, I studied Law for five years at the university in France where I obtained an undergraduate degree, a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and a postgraduate degree. Also, I did not become a French qualified lawyer on purpose. Although my academic background, like yours, is in civil law and not in common law, I am obviously not new to the field of Law, intensive law degrees/courses, and a huge amount of written and oral exams within those five years studying Law.

My goal is to become a qualified solicitor in England and I will take the SQE in due course. In light of my academic background, especially as I am from a civil law one, I am wondering whether I would rather enrol in an SQE preparation course or enrol in a law conversion course as long as the latter is also designed to prepare for the SQE1 exam.

I would be grateful for any thoughts that you may have.

Many thanks for your time.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.