TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Can't believe I am saying this but just got invited to an AC at A&O (Winter Vac- Did SJT on 16th).

This is my first ever AC, and I am completely panicking. Any general advice, as well as A&O specific experience, would be amazing. As these things go, I have an incredibly intense week of work next week and so my preparation time will be somewhat constrained. Please please PM me - I need as much help as I can get!
That's massive news. Congrats!!

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Who else still hasn't heard if they've passed the SJT for A&O? :)
Don't worry about it. I didn't hear back with an email until two days ago, and I applied well over a month and a half ago!

Seems like their timelines are really quite inconsistent this year

Reactions: OB

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Just to echo Jess here, the question just wants to know generally what would be important to any client. So it’s more an exercise of just putting yourself in any clients shoes rather than a specific client. Some things that (I think) would be important to clients:

- Cost - What AFAs (alternative fee arrangements) can the firm offer? Does the firm have good project management systems in place to make matters run more efficiently? Is the firm using any legal tech?
    - Sector/Industry expertise - How much does Gowling know about the clients business and their specific needs? You don’t need to know the client for this - focus on the expertise the firm already offers across the board
    - USPs - What can Gowling offer that a similar competitor law firm can’t? Is there something about their business model/international reach/rankings/past deal experience that pushes them ahead of the competition?
    Thank you! this is very helpful. appreciate it :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In SJT's where the conflict is between being a leader and a team player, how do you decide which one is best approach if a law firm is looking for both?
    Things to consider:

Does the firm state it values leadership or collaboration in its marketing material?

In the scenario, are you really going to be a designated leader (eg a first seat trainee working with qualified lawyers vs second year trainee working with paralegals)?

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Things to consider:

Does the firm state it values leadership or collaboration in its marketing material?

In the scenario, are you really going to be a designated leader (eg a first seat trainee working with qualified lawyers vs second year trainee working with paralegals)?
    The assessment criteria puts both collaboration and leadership in its materials, hence the confusion.

The assessment was also very basic scenarios on a sliding scale. Example: I am a team player or I am a leader

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The assessment criteria puts both collaboration and leadership in its materials, hence the confusion.

The assessment was also very basic scenarios on a sliding scale. Example: I am a team player or I am a leader
    Ah ok. That technically isn’t an SJT assessment really.

There isn’t a right or wrong answer with these type of personality questionnaires, they weigh it up across all your answers and get a profile, it is not like this is a pass/fail assessment, which an SJT is.

Just answer honestly and consistently across the questions posed (as there is likely to be similar questions). If you think you are both, just go with the “middle” option.

Reactions: OB

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021
    Ah ok. That technically isn’t an SJT assessment really.

There isn’t a right or wrong answer with these type of personality questionnaires, they weigh it up across all your answers and get a profile, it is not like this is a pass/fail assessment, which an SJT is.

Just answer honestly and consistently across the questions posed (as there is likely to be similar questions). If you think you are both, just go with the “middle” option.
    This is very helpful!

kat_

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 14, 2020
    Hi, everyone!
    I'd like to ask whether my approach for A&O application questions is 'correct'. The questions are quite straight forward but I am just getting confused.

Question 1
    Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience, or extracurricular activities.
    • For this, I used examples of when I 'innovated' a process (at work), collaborated on a campaign with a group of people, and lastly how I use 'attention to detail' when checking website articles.

Question 2
    Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful.

• Innovation - I talked about how innovative A&O is (RelativityOne) and how I would put the client first, and look for new approaches
    • Collaboration - I'd have to work with many different people within the firm (so I gave an example of their recent deal where different teams were involved) but also internationally.
    • Attention to detail - proof-reading etc

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.