TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019
For a question asking about what practice areas you're interested in, is it okay to talk about one in detail or should you cut back on the detail to mention another?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
For a question asking about what practice areas you're interested in, is it okay to talk about one in detail or should you cut back on the detail to mention another?
Curious what firm this is for? I think it depends how focused the firm's overall practice is - if you were writing for, say, Kirkland, I'd imagine it's fine to go all in on PE, but I wouldn't necessarily do so in an application to Freshfields even though they also take top marks for high-end buyouts

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A few factors to consider:

- how much exposure you would get to the practice area during your TC. For instance some of the big firms have a strong IP practice but you may only spend three months in that area (if at all).

- how big the practice area is as part of the firm - which in turn means how many NQ roles are likely to be available when you qualify

- what your personal preferences are. There is no point faking interest just for the sake of an application (it probably means the firm isn’t right for you)

- what the rest of your application looks like. If all your work experience is in Shipping you might want to hedge your bets and talk more broadly than just shipping in that answer (unless the firm only does shipping law). It’s your opportunity to show there is a bit more to you than just one practice area.

kmax301

Esteemed Member
Feb 3, 2021
Thank you! Does anyone know what percentile you typically have to hit in order to progress?
From what I heard from other recruiters, different firms use different groups against which your performance is assessed. So, your percentile does not mean too much unless you know against whom you are measured. Consequently, there is no general standard that can give you a pass for all the firms.

em311

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jun 15, 2019
A few factors to consider:

- how much exposure you would get to the practice area during your TC. For instance some of the big firms have a strong IP practice but you may only spend three months in that area (if at all).

- how big the practice area is as part of the firm - which in turn means how many NQ roles are likely to be available when you qualify

- what your personal preferences are. There is no point faking interest just for the sake of an application (it probably means the firm isn’t right for you)

- what the rest of your application looks like. If all your work experience is in Shipping you might want to hedge your bets and talk more broadly than just shipping in that answer (unless the firm only does shipping law). It’s your opportunity to show there is a bit more to you than just one practice area.

Thank you so much for the advice Jessica!

The practice area I'm drawn to the most is a one of the firm's main ones and the way they structure it is different to other firms, so I have a bit to say about why I like this in particular. I am, of course, interested in their other practices but the reasoning isn't as specific and strong, so I wasn't sure whether it was worth adding a few lines in or whether this wouldn't be perceived as a solid enough point.

ltt_12

Star Member
Oct 21, 2021
It usually depends on the firm and in most cases, they won't disclose the benchmark either.
From what I heard from other recruiters, different firms use different groups against which your performance is assessed. So, your percentile does not mean too much unless you know against whom you are measured. Consequently, there is no general standard that can give you a pass for all the firms.
Thank you both for your responses! Appreciate it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone. I got my WG percentile from HL. Just wanted to double checking that im interpreting it correctly; is a lower percentile or higher percentile more favourable?
Higher the percentile they better the ranking (99 is the highest you can get)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.