Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Pinsent Masons interview?

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Pinsent Masons.

Psychometric Test and Interview with a fee earner

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Pinsent Masons interview?

Interview: Very rigid - interviewer read questions off a sheet, in a specific order, and didn't deviate. Usual competency questions and 'why us'. Also asked which other firms I had applied to.

Psychometric Test: pattern recognition, so you have to choose the next shape in the sequence by working out the rules (i.e, black dot moved 180% degrees with every shape). Very, very hard - similar in format to those available online (for free), but much harder.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

February 2017

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

1. Interview. 60 minutes.

2. Psychometric testing. 60 minutes.

Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Pinsent Masons interview?

1. The interview is mostly competency-based. The interviewer (a partner or senior associate) will read from a list of questions and make notes while you answer. The firm has a competency framework that is available on their website; make sure you can demonstrate these competencies with examples from your work history/positions of responsibility.

2. The psychometric test you'll be asked to undertake will revolve around inductive reasoning (i.e. pattern recognition). There are plenty of example tests on the internet. I would recommend the full-length practise test on SHL. Each data set will be linked to a block of five questions. In order to get marks on the block, you'll need to get all five questions right. There will be over 100 questions.

Maral

Dec 8, 2018

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Psychometric Test and Interview with a fee earner

Interview: Very rigid - interviewer read questions off a sheet, in a specific order, and didn't deviate. Usual competency questions and 'why us'. Also asked which other firms I had applied to.

Psychometric Test: pattern recognition, so you have to choose the next shape in the sequence by working out the rules (i.e, black dot moved 180% degrees with every shape). Very, very hard - similar in format to those available online (for free), but much harder.

Do Pinsent Masons have two psychometric tests for their vac schemes? I got an invitation to do a Graduate and Managerial Assessment - Abstract this morning but have seen other threads where people have said there is a psychometric to complete during the actual interview.

heidipercyslinky

Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 28, 2019
    Do Pinsent Masons have two psychometric tests for their vac schemes? I got an invitation to do a Graduate and Managerial Assessment - Abstract this morning but have seen other threads where people have said there is a psychometric to complete during the actual interview.
    Would love to know the answer for this question.

I've read on other websites that there would be an in-tray exercise and SWOT presentation in addition to the interview. Is that true?

NLaw18

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    My partner completed an AC with PM for the Summer Vac Scheme 2020. It just consisted of an in-tray exercise and the interview! No SWOT or another psych exercise.

Thanks a lot for that Asmee, definitely helps! Any tips for approaching the in-tray since this will be my first time doing it?
    Also any idea if the interview was competency based questions or was it based on a case study?

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks a lot for that Asmee, definitely helps! Any tips for approaching the in-tray since this will be my first time doing it?
    Also any idea if the interview was competency based questions or was it based on a case study?

For the in-tray exercise, it's using pen/paper so you have to prioritize the documents based on what you think is most important. It will involve things like email threads, documents to read over, and tasks you have to do as a "trainee". So I just suggest staying calm, keeping track of time, and prioritizing the tasks as best you can! You'll also have a reflection period with someone after where they'll ask you why you chose to complete certain tasks, and things so just keep this in mind. The interview is competency based so brush up on your CV! :)

There should be an in-depth interview experience coming out on the Interview Cycle 2019-2020 page in the forum, so check that out.

NLaw18

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2020
    For the in-tray exercise, it's using pen/paper so you have to prioritize the documents based on what you think is most important. It will involve things like email threads, documents to read over, and tasks you have to do as a "trainee". So I just suggest staying calm, keeping track of time, and prioritizing the tasks as best you can! You'll also have a reflection period with someone after where they'll ask you why you chose to complete certain tasks, and things so just keep this in mind. The interview is competency based so brush up on your CV! :)

There should be an in-depth interview experience coming out on the Interview Cycle 2019-2020 page in the forum, so check that out.
    Thanks a lot for that! I will keep a lookout for the in-depth interview experience:)

Reactions: Asmee DC

ath120

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jul 9, 2020
    Hi! I have a virtual assessment centre for Pinsent Masons and was just wondering whether anyone had any tips? They have said that it will include an in-tray, partner/senior associate interview and a SWOT presentation. I am a bit unsure about the latter, are there any good resources for preparing a SWOT analysis and presentation you would recommend? Thanks in advance! :)

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Hi! I have a virtual assessment centre for Pinsent Masons and was just wondering whether anyone had any tips? They have said that it will include an in-tray, partner/senior associate interview and a SWOT presentation. I am a bit unsure about the latter, are there any good resources for preparing a SWOT analysis and presentation you would recommend? Thanks in advance! :)

Congrats on getting through to the AC! :) I've never done a SWOT before but to prepare, I would just google "swot analysis tips", or "swot analysis tutorials". I'm sure there's a lot of resources online that you can look through to become more familiar with it/prepared. Good luck :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: ath120

ath120

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jul 9, 2020
    Congrats on getting through to the AC! :) I've never done a SWOT before but to prepare, I would just google "swot analysis tips", or "swot analysis tutorials". I'm sure there's a lot of resources online that you can look through to become more familiar with it/prepared. Good luck :)
    Thank you so much! I appreciate that advice, I will do that :)

Reactions: Asmee DC

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.