Slaughter and May Vacation Scheme Cover Letter

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi @Crystal86,

Thank you for the question! Slaughters is a fantastic firm.

To help the community (and me) in guiding you, it would be useful to know a bit of context. For example, what are your thoughts so far?
Sure! I was thinking to start off with a quick intro on the scheme I am applying to, then why commercial law, why the firm then why me?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @Crystal86! I remember from an event that I attended with Slaughter and May that the intro+why law+why the firm+why me structure is perfectly fine to use. Try to keep your cover letter to a page and ensure you back up your motivations for a career in law with evidence and tie back things you like about the firm to 1) how you know you like these things (from events, webinars, work ex etc.) and 2) why they matter to you (what are you looking for in a career, TC etc).

I hope this helps! Bringing in @George Maxwell as well for his insight 😊

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @Crystal86! I remember from an event that I attended with Slaughter and May that the intro+why law+why the firm+why me structure is perfectly fine to use. Try to keep your cover letter to a page and ensure you back up your motivations for a career in law with evidence and tie back things you like about the firm to 1) how you know you like these things (from events, webinars, work ex etc.) and 2) why they matter to you (what are you looking for in a career, TC etc).

Thanks @AvniD!

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner about this @Crystal86 I seem to have missed your reply. 🥸

I think Avni has put it extremely well here. 🚀 Your basic structure is a strong and simple one. I do not have much to add.

In particular, Avni's point about linking back to the firm and ensuring things are 'backed up' is spot on. At interview I was really pushed on these themes and I think that the firm likes to see a well-reasoned, well-rounded and thoroughly thought-out responses.

How is the prep going so far @Crystal86? Have you managed to make any progress since your last post?

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021

Thank you so much really appreciate the help! Glad to know the structure is fine 😅.

Reactions: AvniD

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Thanks @AvniD!

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner about this @Crystal86 I seem to have missed your reply. 🥸

I think Avni has put it extremely well here. 🚀 Your basic structure is a strong and simple one. I do not have much to add.

In particular, Avni's point about linking back to the firm and ensuring things are 'backed up' is spot on. At interview I was really pushed on these themes and I think that the firm likes to see a well-reasoned, well-rounded and thoroughly thought-out responses.

How is the prep going so far @Crystal86? Have you managed to make any progress since your last post?
No worries @George Maxwell ! Thanks for the tip I will definitely back up my points.

For the section that's 'why the firm', I wanted to say diversity inclusion alongside a particular deal but I am not sure if that's a very cliche answer?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you so much really appreciate the help! Glad to know the structure is fine 😅.
No problem at all! Please let me know if you need any more help with your cover letter or any other applications!
No worries @George Maxwell ! Thanks for the tip I will definitely back up my points.

For the section that's 'why the firm', I wanted to say diversity inclusion alongside a particular deal but I am not sure if that's a very cliche answer?
I don't think this is a cliche as long as you tie back your answer for 'why this firm' to your expectations for a TC and the qualities that you want to be reflected in your firm. Ultimately, I assume that firms are used to reading the same type of information in applications since applicants have a limited range of sources (open days, web searches, conversations, webinars etc.) to go refer to when drafting their answers. In my eyes, the stuff that makes you stand out isn't the information you use about the firm, but how you personalise it.

My go-to structure for personalising a 'why this firm' answer is to state what you like about the firm ➡️ how you know you like this aspect (from work ex, attending events, research etc.) ➡️ what you think it means for you/ your TC/ your career. Does that make sense @Crystal86 ?

@George Maxwell what do you think?

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
No problem at all! Please let me know if you need any more help with your cover letter or any other applications!

I don't think this is a cliche as long as you tie back your answer for 'why this firm' to your expectations for a TC and the qualities that you want to be reflected in your firm. Ultimately, I assume that firms are used to reading the same type of information in applications since applicants have a limited range of sources (open days, web searches, conversations, webinars etc.) to go refer to when drafting their answers. In my eyes, the stuff that makes you stand out isn't the information you use about the firm, but how you personalise it.

My go-to structure for personalising a 'why this firm' answer is to state what you like about the firm ➡️ how you know you like this aspect (from work ex, attending events, research etc.) ➡️ what you think it means for you/ your TC/ your career. Does that make sense @Crystal86 ?

Thanks @AvniD! Yes, that makes sense. If I wanted to say that previous work experience strengthened my interest in commercial law for the why commercial law question, how can I develop this for the why part of the question?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks @AvniD! Yes, that makes sense. If I wanted to say that previous work experience strengthened my interest in commercial law for the why commercial law question, how can I develop this for the why part of the question?
I'd say try a structure along the lines of what you like about commercial law ➡️ how you know you like it ➡️ why it matters to you and how it utilises your skills+abilities.

Reactions: Crystal86

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

Thanks for the tag @AvniD!

I agree with this post.

I would try as much as you can to make your answers personal. Link aspects of the firm to your background and experiences, albeit, if you can, in a natural way. If you have strong, well-developed reasons for taking an action your application will be more persuasive (and should stand out too!).

In terms of the specific structure, I think Avni's suggestion is a good one! I do not have much to add :)

Great job @AvniD! 🚀

Hope that helps @Crystal86

Reactions: Crystal86

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.