EVERSHEDS Application question

Emilia Hdsn.

• Aug 3, 2021
    Hi guys,

The question seems simple but I am struggling with the "being chased on something that you have not started" part.

Here is the question:

"
    You are working on a query for a new client, which has to be responded to tomorrow morning. You were told it was important as Eversheds Sutherland want to impress them. However, you have a lot of work on and the query is taking you longer than you expected. You are now behind on your work for today. You also have emails from other people chasing you for work you have not yet started. What would you do? As part of your answer, please also describe what personal strengths would you draw upon and what would you find energising in this situation?"

Do you think that because it is a task that I have not started, I should inform my colleagues and supervisor about it, then try to balance it with my current work (despite also having the query)? Or should I inform my supervisor and colleague, asking for an extension then delegate responsibilities? The word " chase" makes me think that it is urgent but the question does not say much about it.

Thanks for your help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

The question seems simple but I am struggling with the "being chased on something that you have not started" part.

Here is the question:

"
    You are working on a query for a new client, which has to be responded to tomorrow morning. You were told it was important as Eversheds Sutherland want to impress them. However, you have a lot of work on and the query is taking you longer than you expected. You are now behind on your work for today. You also have emails from other people chasing you for work you have not yet started. What would you do? As part of your answer, please also describe what personal strengths would you draw upon and what would you find energising in this situation?"

Do you think that because it is a task that I have not started, I should inform my colleagues and supervisor about it, then try to balance it with my current work (despite also having the query)? Or should I inform my supervisor and colleague, asking for an extension then delegate responsibilities? The word " chase" makes me think that it is urgent but the question does not say much about it.

Thanks for your help
    The key to this is communicating with your colleagues, whether they are the ones who have given you the task or your supervisor who is there to act as a bit of a mentor around matters like day to day time management. They may be chasing but this doesn't necessarily mean its urgent - one way to find out is to liaise with them and see what their expectations are and if there is any flexibility

You may also want to consider the 5 Ds of time management when reflecting on this answer - The 5 Ds and Time Management - LBL Skills

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you, do you think that I should as well delegate some work that they are chasing me on, or not?
    I think you could say you would consider it - you don't have to be definite about what actions you would take as there are too many undefined variables in this question. E.g. saying something like: "Where appropriate, I would consider delegating the other tasks I have worked on to other trainees in the team who have the capacity to help".

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.