TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
@Jessica Booker

Hi guys - on the cover letter section of the Jones Day cover letter, applicants are told that their cover letter will be read by the Graduate Recruitment Manager, but that "you do not need to address [the cover letter] to a person or include your address".

1. Does this mean that the "Dear" bit at the start of the application is surplus to requirements (so that candidates don't even need to state "Dear Recruitment Team" or something similar)?
2. Given that this is still a cover letter, would it be advisable for candidates to round off the letter with "Yours sincerely" followed by their name?

Reactions: WillF

WillF

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
@Jessica Booker

Hi guys - on the cover letter section of the Jones Day cover letter, applicants are told that their cover letter will be read by the Graduate Recruitment Manager, but that "you do not need to address [the cover letter] to a person or include your address".

1. Does this mean that the "Dear" bit at the start of the application is surplus to requirements (so that candidates don't even need to state "Dear Recruitment Team" or something similar)?
2. Given that this is still a cover letter, would it be advisable for candidates to round off the letter with "Yours sincerely" followed by their name?
Hey, I did not write "Dear X" or any "Yours sincerely" type ending and got through to interview with JD :)

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    For those waiting for a response from CMS - I had a conversation with one of their graduate recruiters. They said that if you hadn't heard anything as of yet, there is no need to be worried. They will be dishing out more ACs in the upcoming weeks (most likely after new year) even to those who applied early on. They have also been sending out rejections as well - so in their words 'no news is good news'. Hope this is of use to some. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

I interpret this as no addresses are needed (eg your address/their address) like a formal cover letter would have but that a welcome address (eg Dear Joe Bloggs) is appropriate as well as a sign off (Yours sincerely etc).

Edit - clearly doesn’t matter if you don’t include a welcome/sign off either though going by earlier posts.

Reactions: pfoapplicant

SCN

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 20, 2020
    I applied for HSF Spring Vac in October and have seen people who applied way later get both rejections and ACs. Does this mean anything? Should I email and ask for a follow-up?
    I really wouldn't worry about it because we don't know how and in what order they're reviewing applications. I know it's hard to stop speculating... I just saw someone receive an A&O AC and I applied earlier than them and haven't heard back, so I totally get it. It's unlikely that they will complete all ACs before the new year though so best of luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

SebKru10

Star Member
    Apr 15, 2021
    Hi everyone,

it might be a bit of a silly question but when recording our VI answers are we supposed to round it off with something along the lines of a simple thank you or should we just conclude and move on? Thanks in advance! :)

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    Hi everyone,

it might be a bit of a silly question but when recording our VI answers are we supposed to round it off with something along the lines of a simple thank you or should we just conclude and move on? Thanks in advance! :)
    No thank you is necessary + the given time can be limited so you don't want to waste any time saying thank you

• 🤝
    Reactions: SebKru10
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.