TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
In an SJT, is it aways better to choose the option where you take initiative than to reach out to a manager or a superior when faced with a difficult task?

I think it really depends on the situation. If you have multiple competing deadlines and there's a real danger you won't be able to meet any of them, then yes definitely reach out and let your supervisor know asap. If you need more context on the difficult task, then it's better to ask questions before you start. If, however, you have the tools to find the answer out but you just want someone to tell you what to do, then obviously use your initiative
Completely agree with @SCN, who has done a wonderful job of explaining their reasoning 👏👏👏 Firms can assign varying levels of importance to different competencies, but as you practice, it will become more apparent where you need to take initiative and where you need to reach out to your supervisors. Let me know if you want links to some posts here on the forum with top tips and practice resources for SJTs!

• 🤝
Reactions: SCN

Slawrelated

Distinguished Member
Jan 22, 2021
Completely agree with @SCN, who has done a wonderful job of explaining their reasoning 👏👏👏 Firms can assign varying levels of importance to different competencies, but as you practice, it will become more apparent where you need to take initiative and where you need to reach out to your supervisors. Let me know if you want links to some posts here on the forum with top tips and practice resources for SJTs!
yes please :)

kajsa.persson

Standard Member
Oct 10, 2021
Hi, does anyone know what the format is like for Clyde & Co's Video interview (the one straight after the application form)? Do you have to record your own responses to questions or is there an interviewer?

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    I was just about to do the Reed Smith VI - but the link has expired? The email says 11.59pm on Sunday...

I'll send an email to Grad Rec now, but just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I am currently experiencing the same issue! I have sent an email but I don't know if they'll get back to me today.

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    I think a lot of people are having issues with the RS VI link - I’ve sent them an email but won’t hear back till tomorrow morning probably! I’ll give them a ring in the morning and provide an update as soon as I hear anything.

I’m sure they’ll give us an extra day especially as so many people are having issues!

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    I think a lot of people are having issues with the RS VI link - I’ve sent them an email but won’t hear back till tomorrow morning probably! I’ll give them a ring in the morning and provide an update as soon as I hear anything.

I’m sure they’ll give us an extra day especially as so many people are having issues!
    I really hope so! the first email said that the deadline will be 11:59pm today once we accept the invite, but there's no way of accepting the invite other than by starting the interview. Very strange.

Reactions: AW_08

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    I really hope so! the first email said that the deadline will be 11:59pm today once we accept the invite, but there's no way of accepting the invite other than by starting the interview. Very strange.
    I agree!
    The email does state “11.59pm” as the deadline, and there was nothing to ‘accept’? Glad it’s not just me having this issue! I’m guessing that the link expired for the time that the email was originally sent?

Reactions: RkRk0681

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    I agree!
    The email does state “11.59pm” as the deadline, and there was nothing to ‘accept’? Glad it’s not just me having this issue! I’m guessing that the link expired for the time that the email was originally sent?
    That’s weird bc when you click on the link, it said that the link expires around 5pm today. That’s bc we received the email on Thursday around that time so it makes sense that that is exactly 3 days time.

Reactions: AW_08 and bibss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am currently experiencing the same issue! I have sent an email but I don't know if they'll get back to me today.
    Graduate Recruitment are unlikely to pick it up until the morning. You might want to contact the video interview platform provider to see if they can provide any support.

Reactions: RkRk0681
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.