TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
This will probably sound stupid, but I've just submitted my Burges Salmon app (deadline is at midnight so cut it a bit fine whoops) and I can't remember whether I applied for the Spring or Summer scheme. I've had a look on the app but does anyone know where I can find this?

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
Jul 17, 2020
Anyone who applied to TLT, did you fill in your user 'profile'? It's not part of the actual application but has a space to put your work experience etc - not sure if we're expected to fill it out!

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Always ‘yours sincerely’
    I thought it depends on whether you know who you are addressing it to. So for example Dear (let's say) Emma, you would sign off with 'yours sincerely'. But To whom it may concern or Dear Graduate Recruitment, you would sign off with 'yours faithfully'. At least that is the rule I always use ....

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Does anyone have an idea how many candidates JD recruit for their vacation schemes? I am aware they recruit approximately 15 trainees (15-20) per year (in September).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random but if I know the firms name and I’m sending them a cover letter is is yours sincerely or yours faithfully
    It’s not that if you know the firm’s name, it’s more whether you are naming an individual by their name - eg Miss Jessica Booker. Then it’s “yours sincerely” if it is Dear Graduate Recruitment or Dear Sir/Madam, then it’s “yours faithfully”.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker please do let me know if you think this is something that grads see a lot of, or is it a one off problem that they are likely to ignore? Thanks
    These things happen. They are likely to check whether it’s just a reporting error and if they can see your test score first and if not, they are most likely to just reset it and ask you to take it again.

Contact them ASAP to see what they say.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I thought it depends on whether you know who you are addressing it to. So for example Dear (let's say) Emma, you would sign off with 'yours sincerely'. But To whom it may concern or Dear Graduate Recruitment, you would sign off with 'yours faithfully'. At least that is the rule I always use ....
    This is correct!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Literally same here, was doing so well in practice and absolutely bombed the Linklaters one 🤣 can never win with WG
    Same absolutely bombed! like WTF, I helped a friend the day before the test and she passed it for a paralegal position..I am truly pissed at myself! Well onto the next firm, I wanted to cut the list of firms I am applying to because my wedding is in May and do not have a dress yet, but I guess I need to work my behind off!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Same absolutely bombed! like WTF, I helped a friend the day before the test and she passed it for a paralegal position..I am truly pissed at myself! Well onto the next firm, I wanted to cut the list of firms I am applying to because my wedding is in May and do not have a dress yet, but I guess I need to work my behind off!
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I hope you have a wonderful day 🍾🥂🎉

Reactions: WillF and golden99

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Silver linings though, congrats on your wedding!! That's so exciting 🥳 🥳 🥳

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    It’s not that if you know the firm’s name, it’s more whether you are naming an individual by their name - eg Miss Jessica Booker. Then it’s “yours sincerely” if it is Dear Graduate Recruitment or Dear Sir/Madam, then it’s “yours faithfully”.
    I did not know this previously. As long as you used either sincerely and faithfully, is likely to matter too much ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I did not know this previously. As long as you used either sincerely and faithfully, is likely to matter too much ?
    Will depend on the firm and how much of a stickler they are for these types of details. I wouldn't see it as a one strike and your out type situation though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.