TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11671

I imagine this was the first set of offers - I haven't seen anyone on this forum confirm a response from Skadden prior to today, and I very much doubt that multiple batches of probably ~20+ TI invites have gone out in the past months without anyone active on this forum amongst the recipients.

Skadden was always a longshot for me so I'm not clinging to hope here or anything, but I don't see it as time to throw in the towel yet.
Hi there, I had a TI with Skadden and was told that they're running until 17th/18th.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any tips for curbing nerves the day before/on the morning of the AC? Feeling quite overwhelmed!
It sounds crazy, but treat yourself.

Whether it’s doing something you really enjoy (eg gym, watch a a film cook your favourite dinner) the night before or just treating yourself to something like a nice breakfast in the morning, making sure you relax and enjoy something I personally think can have a positive impact on nerves.

I think also switching off your preparation is actually a positive for your mental focus and nerves.

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
Does anyone have any tips for curbing nerves the day before/on the morning of the AC? Feeling quite overwhelmed!
One of the best pieces of advice that someone on this forum gave me last year was to do something to wake your mind up in the morning. I struggle in the mornings with tiredness for various reasons so this was particularly useful to me but it'd still apply. I chose to do a crossword puzzle for 10 mins in between getting ready which made me feel more awake and switched on, but it could be anything that would help with that! It just made me feel less groggy/foggy and more alert, ready for the day :)

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
It sounds crazy, but treat yourself.

Whether it’s doing something you really enjoy (eg gym, watch a a film cook your favourite dinner) the night before or just treating yourself to something like a nice breakfast in the morning, making sure you relax and enjoy something I personally think can have a positive impact on nerves.

I think also switching off your preparation is actually a positive for your mental focus and nerves.
Thanks so much Jessica, that's really helpful! I'll get up early on the day of my AC and do some yoga, which will hopefully help! :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
One of the best pieces of advice that someone on this forum gave me last year was to do something to wake your mind up in the morning. I struggle in the mornings with tiredness for various reasons so this was particularly useful to me but it'd still apply. I chose to do a crossword puzzle for 10 mins in between getting ready which made me feel more awake and switched on, but it could be anything that would help with that! It just made me feel less groggy/foggy and more alert, ready for the day :)
Thanks a lot for your advice, that's very helpful, I'm not a morning person and I guess we don't have that buffer of getting into public transport anymore!!:)

Reactions: rose0904

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Two things-

1) Accept you're nervous- this is a big day, it's absolutely understandable to be nervous. It only adds more pressure on you if you keep trying to kill the nerves- they're there because you care about this and that's not necessarily a bad thing (in healthy amounts).

2) Do something fun- dance, watch a movie, eat something you love, engage in an activity you enjoy. Anything that lets you enjoy this massive achievement. This will also help turn nervousness into excitement and enthusiasm.

You've got this- I'm rooting for you!!! 👏 👏 👏

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Two things-

1) Accept you're nervous- this is a big day, it's absolutely understandable to be nervous. It only adds more pressure on you if you keep trying to kill the nerves- they're there because you care about this and that's not necessarily a bad thing (in healthy amounts).

2) Do something fun- dance, watch a movie, eat something you love, engage in an activity you enjoy. Anything that lets you enjoy this massive achievement. This will also help turn nervousness into excitement and enthusiasm.

You've got this- I'm rooting for you!!! 👏 👏 👏
Thank you for your lovely message @AvniD , really made my day! I will definitely do both of those things :D

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and Commerciallaw

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
Jul 23, 2020
Hey, I had recently done a WG for bakers for summer scheme. But just got the email that I didn't sit for it and therefore they assume I'm not interested in continuing with my application.

I have emailed them back that I took it within the time. But feel so gutted, does that happen with candidates often? Do grad rec understand that there might be tech errors? @Jessica Booker
Hi @Jessica Booker please do let me know if you think this is something that grads see a lot of, or is it a one off problem that they are likely to ignore? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.