Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner Application Questions

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Think I've double checked that there isn't another thread about this BCLP's applications...

So the firm has an interesting application form and has some questions that I haven't seen before as well as the standard questions:

1. How does BCLP align with your ambitions for your Training Contract and beyond? (A fairly straightforward 'why BCLP' question but if someone could confirm a good structure to use that would be much appreciated)

2. The legal sector is subject to continuous change and competition. What can BCLP do to stay profitable and what should BCLP be highlighting to clients when pitching for work? (I imagine referencing the merger and the firm's great strength in real estate would be a given here but again any pointers are welcomed!)

3. Imagine you are a first seat trainee at BCLP. Your supervisor has asked you to present to a client in a weeks time on a matter that you have been working on. You feel that you have gaps in your knowledge on the subject area and you are already busy with other matters; how would you react? (I have never seen a question like this before so any advice on how to approach it would be much appreciated)

All of the above are given a 250-word limit to answer them if that helps formulate a strategy in any way.

Thanks guys - look forward to reading your responses :)

Reactions: Coralin96 and SameerS

BC2000

Mar 6, 2018
    Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can advise on the correct focus for BCLP's first app question:

How does BCLP align with your ambitions for your Training Contract and beyond? 250 words

My thoughts on this were to dedicate around half of the word count to why law(i.e. explain your ambitions)? and then the rest as to how my particular interests align with the firms strategy/strengths etc.

Does this sound reasonable? Or would you spend more time focussing on the latter/other things?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I see another user has uploaded an almost identical post simultaneously to me, ah!

Reactions: Coralin96

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Interesting indeed. I’m no expert but my views are as follows:

For the first question you have to stress why law at bclp and not say pinsent masons which is also strong in real estate. I have no set structure - it’s somethong I struggle with to be honest. But I structure it on a couple of key points which interest me that I’ve indetified.

The second takes concise writing to the limit. You could do a dissertation just on this question. I would also suggest Innovation/legal tech here.

Agree the third is weird. It’s like a SJT type question rather than multiple choice. Try to identify some of the key words. Present. Gaps. Busy. React. Perhaps consider the key skills it’s trying to get at. Would you take on extra work. I tend to over complicate the questions, but in this case maybe over simplifying. Try to think about what you’d do and write that down in bullet points. From there draft it into a couple of paragraphs. I don’t think it’s possible to fill 250 words for this.

Separately question from me. What is the position on shortening firm name? So Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner to bclp. And say Herbert Smith Freehills to hsf. Bclp I’ve seen refer itself to this. Hsf not so much. Any views? Asking from a word count perspective.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Think I've double checked that there isn't another thread about this BCLP's applications...

So the firm has an interesting application form and has some questions that I haven't seen before as well as the standard questions:

1. How does BCLP align with your ambitions for your Training Contract and beyond? (A fairly straightforward 'why BCLP' question but if someone could confirm a good structure to use that would be much appreciated)

2. The legal sector is subject to continuous change and competition. What can BCLP do to stay profitable and what should BCLP be highlighting to clients when pitching for work? (I imagine referencing the merger and the firm's great strength in real estate would be a given here but again any pointers are welcomed!)

3. Imagine you are a first seat trainee at BCLP. Your supervisor has asked you to present to a client in a weeks time on a matter that you have been working on. You feel that you have gaps in your knowledge on the subject area and you are already busy with other matters; how would you react? (I have never seen a question like this before so any advice on how to approach it would be much appreciated)

All of the above are given a 250-word limit to answer them if that helps formulate a strategy in any way.

Thanks guys - look forward to reading your responses :)
    Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone can advise on the correct focus for BCLP's first app question:

How does BCLP align with your ambitions for your Training Contract and beyond? 250 words

My thoughts on this were to dedicate around half of the word count to why law(i.e. explain your ambitions)? and then the rest as to how my particular interests align with the firms strategy/strengths etc.

Does this sound reasonable? Or would you spend more time focussing on the latter/other things?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I see another user has uploaded an almost identical post simultaneously to me, ah!

I have merged both of your questions so we can cover it here.

1. How does BCLP align with your ambitions for your Training Contract and beyond?
    • You are correct that this question is similar to a "Why BCLP" question. However, to be clear, they have changed the question for a reason. So you should answer the exact question, and not use the similarities an excuse to write an answer for "Why BCLP" (I'm not saying you were going to do this, just to clarify).
    • I would suggest you think about what you want in your career. Mentoring? Opportunities for secondment? To gain an in-depth understanding of real estate? Identify what specific opportunities or experiences BCLP provides to help you get there.
    • Pick 2-4 reasons. A good answer will be very tailored. @Benjamin Cull - I'm not sure writing about why law would be suitable here, unless you are covering the above.
    2. The legal sector is subject to continuous change and competition. What can BCLP do to stay profitable and what should BCLP be highlighting to clients when pitching for work?
    • Good ideas @Daniel Boden, I agree. I haven't got round to a full insight on BCLP yet, but some thoughts on the merger here.
    • Use this question as an opportunity to show off your knowledge of commercial awareness. e.g. How do law firms maintain a competitive advantage? How do they make a profit?
    • Use this question as an opportunity to show off your knowledge of BCLP. e.g. how will Lawyers on Demand support their business?
    3. Imagine you are a first seat trainee at BCLP. Your supervisor has asked you to present to a client in a weeks time on a matter that you have been working on. You feel that you have gaps in your knowledge on the subject area and you are already busy with other matters; how would you react?
    Hi Sameer,

I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to get feedback on your answers?

I can't say I have a particular way of approaching situational judgement questions. My advice would be to just make sure you understand the role and responsibilities of a trainee solicitor and their position within a law firm. When you are asked a question, take your time and have a clear reason in mind for why you are taking a particular course of action. While you do need to give an appropriate answer, don't try to reason for the sake of impressing. Instead, try to put yourself in the scenario and consider your course of action from that perspective.

I can tell you how I would answer the scenario, but remember, I answer in a particular way because I have been in a similar situation. Your answer to this question may well not be the same.
    1. Make sure I understand what is involved in the client presentation and try to estimate how much time it would take to prepare. Add some generous time onto that to cater for gaps in my knowledge.
    2. Inform my supervisor of my situation just so that he or she is aware.
    3. Make a note of the client presentation in my to-do-list.
    4. Determine how long the existing matters will take - I may need to speak to other people to find this out.
    5. On the basis of that information, if I judge that I will have time to prepare for the presentation, then carve out that time in my diary. When the time comes, I will then research and/or speak to people to fill the gaps for the presentation.
    6. If my work won't clear up, or by day 2 or 3 I realise that I will not have enough time to prepare for the presentation, or that other urgent issues may crop up then go back to my supervisor and explain the situation.
    7. Make it clear that I want to help, but I don't want to risk being unprepared. If another person is picked, I can suggest I bring the person up to speed on the topic as I have been working on the task. I can then carve out some time in my diary to explain what I have been working on and anyone that is worth speaking to. I can also help (time-permitting) the person prepare for the presentation.

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi folks,

Thanks in advance!

Hi Benjamin, I’ve just seen in another thread that your application was successful, how did you decide to approach/structure this question? Many thanks and congratulations!!

BC2000

Mar 6, 2018
    Hi Bugsy,

I am wary as to posting my entire answer but as a brief general rule I approached it mostly in the same manner as a Why BCLP question plus including some indication as to career ambition.

So my particular model that I use is to identify area of interest(for me, litigation/contentious practice) and then hone in on their reputation, strategy and culture. I dedicate most of the word count to the first two, using things like Legal500 rankings and significant lateral hires. In BCLP's case, you almost certainly must include something about tech, their entrepenuerial practices and the fact that they fully merged(brand wise and financially) which is quite rare and indicates the commitment of the partnership to the new firm. This has noteably caused some disruption as can be seen by the several lateral departures, but this is almost inevitable when merging two firms with quite different cultures/financial results. In regards to culture, I just said relatively small intake, lots of responsibility etc. Perhaps name some diversity initiatives and why that attracts you to the firm(if that is relevant to you).

Format:

The firm’s strength in Litigation and Corporate risk, its medium-sized intake and strategic vision.

Rep - rankings, significant hires, major cases/deals.

Strategy - merger, tech investment, Manchester service centre. Good to say these investments are allowing lawyers to concentrate on the law, not menial work.

Culture/general - intake size, diverse range of seats, responsiblity, diversity initiatives.

Ambition: It should be clear from your answer what practice area(s) you want to go into.

Good luck, I will post my full answer up once I have completed the process.

EDIT: And as a side note, remember to link each of these facts into why the firm. E.G. Want to work in investigations - "The firm’s strategic focus on growing its litigation department through hires such as Mukul Chawla QC demonstrates how BCLP is aligning with my interest in investigations."

Last edited:

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Hi Bugsy,

I am wary as to posting my entire answer but as a brief general rule I approached it mostly in the same manner as a Why BCLP question plus including some indication as to career ambition.

So my particular model that I use is to identify area of interest(for me, litigation/contentious practice) and then hone in on their reputation, strategy and culture. I dedicate most of the word count to the first two, using things like Legal500 rankings and significant lateral hires. In BCLP's case, you almost certainly must include something about tech, their entrepenuerial practices and the fact that they fully merged(brand wise and financially) which is quite rare and indicates the commitment of the partnership to the new firm. This has noteably caused some disruption as can be seen by the several lateral departures, but this is almost inevitable when merging two firms with quite different cultures/financial results. In regards to culture, I just said relatively small intake, lots of responsibility etc. Perhaps name some diversity initiatives and why that attracts you to the firm(if that is relevant to you).

Format:

The firm’s strength in Litigation and Corporate risk, its medium-sized intake and strategic vision.

Rep - rankings, significant hires, major cases/deals.

Strategy - merger, tech investment, Manchester service centre. Good to say these investments are allowing lawyers to concentrate on the law, not menial work.

Culture/general - intake size, diverse range of seats, responsiblity, diversity initiatives.

Ambition: It should be clear from your answer what practice area(s) you want to go into.

Good luck, I will post my full answer up once I have completed the process.

EDIT: And as a side note, remember to link each of these facts into why the firm. E.G. Want to work in investigations - "The firm’s strategic focus on growing its litigation department through hires such as Mukul Chawla QC demonstrates how BCLP is aligning with my interest in investigations."

Thank you so much for such an extensive answer! Good luck with the rest of the process :)

Amanda

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2019
    I have merged both of your questions so we can cover it here.

1. How does BCLP align with your ambitions for your Training Contract and beyond?
    • You are correct that this question is similar to a "Why BCLP" question. However, to be clear, they have changed the question for a reason. So you should answer the exact question, and not use the similarities an excuse to write an answer for "Why BCLP" (I'm not saying you were going to do this, just to clarify).
    • I would suggest you think about what you want in your career. Mentoring? Opportunities for secondment? To gain an in-depth understanding of real estate? Identify what specific opportunities or experiences BCLP provides to help you get there.
    • Pick 2-4 reasons. A good answer will be very tailored. @Benjamin Cull - I'm not sure writing about why law would be suitable here, unless you are covering the above.
    2. The legal sector is subject to continuous change and competition. What can BCLP do to stay profitable and what should BCLP be highlighting to clients when pitching for work?
    • Good ideas @Daniel Boden, I agree. I haven't got round to a full insight on BCLP yet, but some thoughts on the merger here.
    • Use this question as an opportunity to show off your knowledge of commercial awareness. e.g. How do law firms maintain a competitive advantage? How do they make a profit?
    • Use this question as an opportunity to show off your knowledge of BCLP. e.g. how will Lawyers on Demand support their business?
    3. Imagine you are a first seat trainee at BCLP. Your supervisor has asked you to present to a client in a weeks time on a matter that you have been working on. You feel that you have gaps in your knowledge on the subject area and you are already busy with other matters; how would you react?
    Hi everyone, I have been thinking about question 2. I was wondering whether BCLP want you to focus on what they could be doing or does the question want you to mention what they are already doing when talking to clients and pitching for work? My understanding was that they want you to give them some ideas on how they can develop to remain competitive rather than showing off knowledge about what the firm already does? Or am I not reading the question properly?
    Many thanks :D

Nat

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    Hi everyone, I have been thinking about question 2. I was wondering whether BCLP want you to focus on what they could be doing or does the question want you to mention what they are already doing when talking to clients and pitching for work? My understanding was that they want you to give them some ideas on how they can develop to remain competitive rather than showing off knowledge about what the firm already does? Or am I not reading the question properly?
    Many thanks :D

Hi Amanda

I kinda did both and I got an invitation to an AC. You can see an example below.

To stay profitable, BCLP should aim to improve service delivery by striking for the optimal combination of people, processes and technology to meet client needs. This can be achieved by streamlining internal processes and employing technology to optimise the output of the business. BCLP is well advanced in driving such changes. It has invested significantly in document automation and with the use of Contract Express fee earners save hundreds of hours and focus on legal issues.

I hope it helps!

N

Amanda

Star Member
    Jan 2, 2019
    Hi Amanda

I kinda did both and I got an invitation to an AC. You can see an example below.

To stay profitable, BCLP should aim to improve service delivery by striking for the optimal combination of people, processes and technology to meet client needs. This can be achieved by streamlining internal processes and employing technology to optimise the output of the business. BCLP is well advanced in driving such changes. It has invested significantly in document automation and with the use of Contract Express fee earners save hundreds of hours and focus on legal issues.

I hope it helps!

N
    Thank you so much Nat, I was just wondering was the AC for the vat scheme or TC- I better get a move on with my application haha :D

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
    Just to share my approach to the first question, I started from the pros of the merger that created opportunities for the firm and also included the awards won by the firm.
    I stayed genuine to the practice I'm more keen on and built a bridge to real state which is their strength, finally I concluded the importance of utilising AI by the firm as well as developing tech platforms to improve performance and client service.
    I'm still contemplating the next two questions so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

eleanorbf

Jan 31, 2021
    Hi, I've been trying to apply for the vac scheme, but I'm confused as many of the Questions being asked are about what I would do as a trainee in a variety of situations, and what area(s) of law i'm interested in having to exposure to in my training contract. I find this kind of strange, and hard to answer, as i'm not applying for a TC, and none of the other firms which i've applied to have asked about TC's at all. Would be interested in any feedback? are they trying to see how long term my plans are, or is this a mistake on the application website?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, I've been trying to apply for the vac scheme, but I'm confused as many of the Questions being asked are about what I would do as a trainee in a variety of situations, and what area(s) of law i'm interested in having to exposure to in my training contract. I find this kind of strange, and hard to answer, as i'm not applying for a TC, and none of the other firms which i've applied to have asked about TC's at all. Would be interested in any feedback? are they trying to see how long term my plans are, or is this a mistake on the application website?

It's definitely not a mistake. Most firms hold a vac scheme because it is their main way of recruiting for TCs, which is why the form asks about your interest in being a trainee and why all VS participants are interviewed for a TC at the end of a scheme. I think it is generally assumed that anyone applying for a VS wants a TC.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

eleanorbf

Jan 31, 2021
    It's definitely not a mistake. Most firms see hold a vac scheme because it is their main way of recruiting for TCs, which is why the form asks about your interest in being a trainee and why all VS participants are interviewed for a TC at the end of a scheme. I think it is generally assumed that anyone applying for a VS wants a TC.
    Thank you! That makes sense.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.