TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I have a question - i read that an asset purchase is more complex than a share purchase? why is this? I had initially assumed that, for example, the DD for an asset purchase would be easier because there are just less stuff to consider and attention can be more focused?

VS513

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 2, 2021
    Hi guys,

Any idea if Hogan Lovells and Eversheds London have sent out most of their AC applications/VI for Eversheds for the summer vacation scheme?

I submitted both applications close to the last day and completed the WG for HL on Jan 6th- just trying to manage expectations here!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello forum!

Apologies if you have tagged me over the past week or so and I have not replied. I have been away revising for exams. Thankfully they went ok(🤞)!

I am now very happy to be back.

Please do tag me as normal if I can help at all.

I am delighted to see a number of messages in my personal inbox too. Unfortunately however, just to remind everyone that I, like all the community managers on TCLA, cannot reply individually to messages unless they relate to something personal that should or cannot be shared on the wider forum. So tagging me really is the best way to receive a response!

For example, I know that HSF are currently running interviews and I am very happy to help where I can.

Also I am keen for you to tag me if you have any good news to share! It is always great to hear about our community wins and I will have missed your updates while I was away.

Looking forward to getting involved again everyone!

Im Back Season 7 GIF by Friends

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I have a question - i read that an asset purchase is more.complex than a share purchase? why is this? I has initially assumed that, for example, the DD for an asset purchase would be easier because there are just less stuff to consider and attention can be more focused?
    I'm not sure if 'more complex' is right, especially in terms of DD, but in terms of ownership transfer, share purchase is obviously just the shares of the company - asset purchases you have to deal with the individual assets, if there's real estate involved this can become quite a substantial administrative task. Valuation is probably more challenging in some ways since you're not just (I say 'just' like it's easy, bankers please don't hurt me) forecasting future returns of a going concern based on historic performance. Employment concerns w asset purchases probably also more complicated, also issues around any existing service or supply contracts which would roll over in share purchase (subject to change of control termination rights) whereas asset purchase likely will require more proactive action to ensure continuity. Questions also around whether portion of the seller's financial liabilities should transfer alongside the assets (especially if secured against same) - if not, issue of releasing those assets from security.

There are probably more reasons but hopefully that is helpful

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    I have a question - i read that an asset purchase is more complex than a share purchase? why is this? I had initially assumed that, for example, the DD for an asset purchase would be easier because there are just less stuff to consider and attention can be more focused?
    Not exactly sure but here's my understanding: for a share purchase all the assets/liabilities/obligations will remain in place so you don't have to deal with them separately, whereas for asset purchase you'll need formalities for each asset you purchase, and that the contracts with customer/supplier will not automatically transfer so will again require additional assignment.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Commerciallaw

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Hi guys,

Any idea if Hogan Lovells and Eversheds London have sent out most of their AC applications/VI for Eversheds for the summer vacation scheme?

I submitted both applications close to the last day and completed the WG for HL on Jan 6th- just trying to manage expectations here!
    I have received a VI invite for Eversheds.

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    Hi guys,

I received HL AC on Saturday (I did my WG on the 6th or 7th) but have only seen one or two other people who also got it, so I think it's still early days!

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
    Dec 7, 2021
    Asset purchase tends to require quite a lot of negotiation over which assets the company is or isn’t willing to sell- the company likely won’t want to give away all their best assets and then be left with the less profitable/beneficial ones and so I think the negotiations tend to be pretty intense. Also most companies wanting to sell will want to sell the whole business, not just parts of it and so may refuse an asset purchase.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD and Commerciallaw

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    I'm not sure if 'more complex' is right, especially in terms of DD, but in terms of ownership transfer, share purchase is obviously just the shares of the company - asset purchases you have to deal with the individual assets, if there's real estate involved this can become quite a substantial administrative task. Valuation is probably more challenging in some ways since you're not just (I say 'just' like it's easy, bankers please don't hurt me) forecasting future returns of a going concern based on historic performance. Employment concerns w asset purchases probably also more complicated, also issues around any existing service or supply contracts which would roll over in share purchase (subject to change of control termination rights) whereas asset purchase likely will require more proactive action to ensure continuity. Questions also around whether portion of the seller's financial liabilities should transfer alongside the assets (especially if secured against same) - if not, issue of releasing those assets from security.

There are probably more reasons but hopefully that is helpful
    Not exactly sure but here's my understanding: for a share purchase all the assets/liabilities/obligations will remain in place so you don't have to deal with them separately, whereas for asset purchase you'll need formalities for each asset you purchase, and that the contracts with customer/supplier will not automatically transfer so will again require additional assignment.
    Asset purchase tends to require quite a lot of negotiation over which assets the company is or isn’t willing to sell- the company likely won’t want to give away all their best assets and then be left with the less profitable/beneficial ones and so I think the negotiations tend to be pretty intense. Also most companies wanting to sell will want to sell the whole business, not just parts of it and so may refuse an asset purchase.
    Thank you all! Very helpful ( I love this community)!!

I did some more research and I found also that
    1) employment contracts, for example, may need to be renegotiated
    2) Need to re-title the individual assets
    3) Target board is needed to approve the transaction

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.