TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
Just wondering if anyone had any ideas about Mayer Brown’s strategy - i bombed the job sim but got above average in every category in the tests, will it be down to the job sim alone when progressing to AC or will they take both into consideration?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Kirkland, Latham & Weil - it's a completely made up (by me) designation but they're often grouped together and all in Band 1 for high-end buyouts (along with Freshfields & CC)
    You can add White and Case to that list also. Apparently, they are higher ranked than Weil in PE but White and Case are trying to compete with MC law firms.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    You can add White and Case to that list also. Apparently, they are higher ranked than Weil in PE but White and Case are trying to compete with MC law firms.
    W&C doesn't approach any of those 3 in the high-end rankings - I think W&C do more in sheer volume of deals though.

W&C is also far more diversified in London and is more of a full-service firm.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: IT7, Adrian_S and Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    W&C doesn't approach any of those 3 in the high-end rankings - I think W&C do more in sheer volume of deals though.

W&C is also far more diversified in London and is more of a full-service firm.
    I did not know this thank you for this. It was just at their Legal Cheek event their trainee said they are higher ranked for PE than Weil.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Kirkland, Latham & Weil - it's a completely made up (by me) designation but they're often grouped together and all in Band 1 for high-end buyouts (along with Freshfields & CC)

Respectfully, I think it’s best to be careful with self-made monikers and designations like these. It makes sense to come to them after compiling your own research but I think for people who are newer to law and the legal industry it just leads to confusion. It would be unfortunate if someone mentioned the “magical triangle” in an application or interview, and when pressed about it, didn’t have the insight to explain how they came to that moniker.

Just my own two cents!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Respectfully, I think it’s best to be careful with self-made monikers and designations like these. It makes sense to come to them after compiling your own research but I think for people who are newer to law and the legal industry it just leads to confusion. It would be unfortunate if someone mentioned the “magical triangle” in an application or interview, and when pressed about it, didn’t have the insight to explain how they came to that moniker.

Just my own two cents!
    Fair point - will make a point of clarifying this when using made-up terms in future. I'll take this opportunity to also mention that it's best not to use the term 'magic circle' when interviewing at a magic circle firm, they don't particularly like it.

JM1998

Esteemed Member
    Mar 26, 2021

Just my own two cents!
    I agree with this, I think ‘Magic Triangle’ is also used to describe the elite Portuguese firms. So could cause some confusion at partner interview etc for those with experience in European offices.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and SLKEJRWOI97

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Fair point - will make a point of clarifying this when using made-up terms in future. I'll take this opportunity to also mention that it's best not to use the term 'magic circle' when interviewing at a magic circle firm, they don't particularly like it.
    Can I ask why they don't like being called a MC firm - I would have assumed it would be a privilege?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.