Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    According to the Legal Cheek article, it appears that the majority of Hogan Lovells vac schemers were offered a TC. Those who did not have instead been offered a place on their Winter Scheme. I honestly prefer this approach over having to participate in a virtual scheme.

Had a couple of people reach out after being upset by this. Just a few thoughts:

1. If you weren't one of the people who were offered a training contract, that's going to feel really tough (particularly because I believe some learned that it was a 'majority' through Legal Cheek). It's completely fair to be upset by this, I would be too.

2. Just because you weren't offered a TC doesn't mean you're a weak candidate, even though it may feel that way. The standards for assessing VS v TC are quite different and it's likely the case that the firm just needs more time to see you in action before it can offer you a TC.

3. It's far from ideal, but you still have the winter vac scheme! That's now on your CV, plus you've still got the opportunity to convert that into your TC offer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Had a couple of people reach out after being upset by this. Just a few thoughts:

1. If you weren't one of the people who were offered a training contract, that's going to feel really tough (particularly because I believe some learned that it was a 'majority' through Legal Cheek). It's completely fair to be upset by this, I would be too.

2. Just because you weren't offered a TC doesn't mean you're a weak candidate, even though it may feel that way. The standards for assessing VS v TC are quite different and it's likely the case that the firm just needs more time to see you in action before it can offer you a TC.

3. It's far from ideal, but you still have the winter vac scheme! That's now on your CV, plus you've still got the opportunity to convert that into your TC offer.

Please take this advice to heart.

I wouldn’t necessarily believe crude language like “majority” from a site like Legal Cheek. There is no confirmation of this from the firm and there is no substance on how they have been informed it is a majority. I suspect this is journalistic BS!

Given some people would have already been offered from their 2019 winter vacation scheme, I doubt it is a majority.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

I wouldn’t necessarily believe crude language like “majority” from a site like Legal Cheek. There is no confirmation of this from the firm and there is no substance on how they have been informed it is a majority. I suspect this is journalistic BS!

Given some people would have already been offered from their 2019 winter vacation scheme, I doubt it is a majority.
    Well said @Jessica Booker - I thought the same.

GlamB

Dec 6, 2019

I second this. Obviously, this is just anecdotal evidence but based on what the partner who called me with my offer said, it did not seem like almost everyone/majority got the offer. News outlets and Legal Cheek more so tend to sensationalize everything, so take it with a grain of salt. What I want to say by this is don't be too hard on yourselves, if you didn't get the direct TC offer - you're not alone. You are good enough and you will overcome this!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I second this. Obviously, this is just anecdotal evidence but based on what the partner who called me with my offer said, it did not seem like almost everyone/majority got the offer. News outlets and Legal Cheek more so tend to sensationalize everything, so take it with a grain of salt. What I want to say by this is don't be too hard on yourselves, if you didn't get the direct TC offer - you're not alone. You are good enough and you will overcome this!
    Equally, congratulations on your offer!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and GlamB

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    really well done on your offer and I appreciate you sharing this as well :) Congratulations!

amb98

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    With social distancing measures expected to last till the end of the year even after the lockdown has been lifted, is it a realistic possibility that all summer schemes will be cancelled and HL’s approach will be followed by others?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    With social distancing measures expected to last till the end of the year even after the lockdown has been lifted, is it a realistic possibility that all summer schemes will be cancelled and HL’s approach will be followed by others?
    It’s still probably too early to say. No one truly knows the longevity of this and we are still in the early stages of having the pandemic despite the devastating impact it’s had. I really don’t think it’s possible to speculate on what will happen exactly but I’d still imagine most firms would seek to do the vacs online or in whatever capacity they can or they would probably reinterview for TCs. It does seem like HL’s approach is novel right now but nothing to say that others won’t follow suit if the virtual programmes would be tough to do etc.

Reactions: AY and amb98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is a possibility, but I expect more that firms will run shorter schemes across July/August. I don’t think we will be in lockdown past June.

amb98

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    This is what I’d have thought but social distancing is likely to remain in place, which in theory makes it difficult to attend socials and interact with others on the scheme.

Virtual schemes and TC interviews/offers seem more likely but I guess all options are open as things stand!

Reactions: W

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is what I’d have thought but social distancing is likely to remain in place, which in theory makes it difficult to attend socials and interact with others on the scheme.

Virtual schemes and TC interviews/offers seem more likely but I guess all options are open as things stand!

yes - things like socials might not happen. They aren’t really important/necessary anyway, and might be scrapped more because of lack of budget rather than social distancing.

Social distancing has never been about us not getting it - it’s just been about not getting it now so we can prepare the NHS better and deal with people getting it later on.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: amb98

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    I have a TC assessment centre for Fieldfisher due to take place next Monday, moved from March, my spring and summer vacs for other firms have both been cancelled and I am obviously fully expecting for this to be moved/online etc. Just weird I haven’t heard anything yet and it’s a week away! Wondered if anyone else has heard from them (I know they’ll inform us all at the same time just checking I haven’t missed an email or something! )

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a TC assessment centre for Fieldfisher due to take place next Monday, moved from March, my spring and summer vacs for other firms have both been cancelled and I am obviously fully expecting for this to be moved/online etc. Just weird I haven’t heard anything yet and it’s a week away! Wondered if anyone else has heard from them (I know they’ll inform us all at the same time just checking I haven’t missed an email or something! )

Just give them a call/drop them an email later today to ask for clarity. It will be online, but just say you need to inform people you are living with to make sure everything is set up properly.

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    Fieldfisher have cancelled their final TC AC (due to take place in March moved to April now cancelled all together). Super Frustrating as I was actually invited to the feb AC following my phone interview but an error on their end meant I got moved the the March one... it’s a strange time and a TC is not the be all and end all but f r u a t r a t I n g as seems a loss to cancel all together :(

EJ

Star Member
    Dec 27, 2019
    My vac scheme isn't due to take place until the end of June, however I haven't heard anything from the firm since I returned my screening forms and seat choices. I'm debating getting in touch with them, however don't want to be a pest considering they will be dealing with a significant workload. What does everyone else think?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My vac scheme isn't due to take place until the end of June, however I haven't heard anything from the firm since I returned my screening forms and seat choices. I'm debating getting in touch with them, however don't want to be a pest considering they will be dealing with a significant workload. What does everyone else think?

they won’t have an answer yet. It will be subject to how long the lockdown goes on for. They will update you as soon as they have an answer to give you.

Reactions: EJ

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018

I think it's best to sit tight for now. When they've made a decision/have an update to share, you'll be the first to know about it.

Reactions: EJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.