Interview/Open Day/Vacation Scheme Updates- Coronavirus

Alaw96

Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Personally, I feel a big factor for undertaking a vac scheme (other than securing a TC!) is to experience working in the firm and getting a real feel of the culture, either by being in their offices and/or interacting with fee-earners, in person. I cannot help but feel that the 'virtual' route means that we, as candidates, will not be able to make an informed decision as to whether that particular firm is right for us. Fingers crossed many still go ahead as originally planned, I would rather they were delayed.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Personally, I feel a big factor for undertaking a vac scheme (other than securing a TC!) is to experience working in the firm and get a real feel of the culture, either by being in their offices and/or interacting with fee-earners, in person. I cannot help but feel that the 'virtual' route means that we, as candidates, will not be able to make an informed decision as to whether that particular firm is right for us. Fingers crossed many still go ahead as originally planned, I would rather they were delayed.
Hey there,

I really appreciate what you say. I think the virtual approach is probably the best they can offer right now and it may well have some positives (entirely dependent on viewpoint and individual opinions/preferences), but I do entirely agree this is one of the potentially negative aspects. What I will say is that firms are no doubt aware of this, and I think that if people are offered, they will probably really try to ensure that prospective joiners have had a bit more interaction with the firm, whether it be through offer holder open days or something similar. I know that won’t allay concerns too much at this stage but I would really expect firms to do something like this as I’ve heard of firms being very helpful when people are making final decisions as they appreciate the gravity of the decisions being made for candidates.

I think that if firms are holding TC interviews later on, a bit like CC (I’ve just read the above post) then maybe those AC type days might serve as an extra opportunity to step within the doors and meet the firm again too. Might sound unlikely that a day can have an impact but from my TC AC experiences I think you can still gauge a lot about a firm from being within its doors for a few hours! Obviously that’s not much versus two or three weeks experience but I do think it is quite a good approach given the circumstances and think it will be valuable :)

I also maybe ought to say too that it’s a bit unclear from what I’ve read how these virtual internships will go. If you have regular contact with people at the firm during the time then maybe this will help from a cultural standpoint. Not quite in the same way as if you were physically there and observing everything around you, but perhaps this too would help you to gauge and gain a greater sense of culture too :)

Last edited:
Reactions: S30

Alaw96

Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
Hey there,

I really appreciate what you say. I think the virtual approach is probably the best they can offer right now and it may well have some positives (entirely dependent on viewpoint and individual opinions/preferences), but I do entirely agree this is one of the potentially negative aspects. What I will say is that firms are no doubt aware of this, and I think that if people are offered, they will probably really try to ensure that prospective joiners have had a bit more interaction with the firm, whether it be through offer holder open days or something similar. I know that won’t allay concerns too much at this stage but I would really expect firms to do something like this as I’ve heard of firms being very helpful when people are making final decisions as they appreciate the gravity of the decisions being made for candidates.

I think that if firms are holding TC interviews later on, a bit like CC (I’ve just read the above post) then maybe those AC type days might serve as an extra opportunity to step within the doors and meet the firm again too. Might sound unlikely that a day can have an impact but from my TC AC experiences I think you can still gauge a lot about a firm from being within its doors for a few hours! Obviously that’s not much versus two or three weeks experience but I do think it is quite a good approach given the circumstances and think it will be valuable :)

I also maybe ought to say too that it’s a bit unclear from what I’ve read how these virtual internships will go. If you have regular contact with people at the firm during the time then maybe this will help from a cultural standpoint. Not quite in the same way as if you were physically there and observing everything around you, but perhaps this too would help you to gauge and gain a greater sense of culture too :)

I completely understand that there may no be other alternatives. For me, being from a non-traditional background, I was looking forward to working in London for a few weeks, none of my family members have ever worked in the City, it is all very new to me so this is something a virtual scheme can not replicate (although, my vs hasn’t been moved to virtual yet!). Also, what about those who may live in crowded houses? Or those without the necessary equipment (laptops, weak wifi)? Personally, I do not have a desk or an office in my house, and I’m sure this applies to many others. There is a possibility that the virtual move will put many at a disadvantage, hopefully firms will understand that.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Clifford Chance has moved their Summer VS to be "Virtual", with the work-shadowing aspect taking place in Winter. This is when TC interviews will be held.

I really hope not all firms decide to do this. I know CC's scheme is for second years so they don't have this concern, but if all firms move schemes to Winter or something similar that will leave final year international students like me, with visas expiring in September, in the absolutely horrible position of losing out on the opportunity to do a vac. :(

Reactions: Alison_a and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I completely understand that there may no be other alternatives. For me, being from a non-traditional background, I was looking forward to working in London for a few weeks, none of my family members have ever worked in the City, it is all very new to me so this is something a virtual scheme can not replicate (although, my vs hasn’t been moved to virtual yet!). Also, what about those who may live in crowded houses? Or those without the necessary equipment (laptops, weak wifi)? Personally, I do not have a desk or an office in my house, and I’m sure this applies to many others. There is a possibility that the virtual move will put many at a disadvantage, hopefully firms will understand that.
    Absolutely, I totally agree with you and everything you say and the points which you raise. I would really think firms will take these things into account. I’m just trying to impart my take on the cultural point in case people are worrying about that aspect but I do appreciate the hurdles this approach will bring which extend far beyond that. I wish I had something more positive to say but I really mean this guys, I’m here to help and support in every way I can and if you think I can support you in your approach to these different internships then never hesitate to reach out :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Alaw96

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I really hope not all firms decide to do this. I know CC's scheme is for second years so they don't have this concern, but if all firms move schemes to Winter or something similar that will leave final year international students like me, with visas expiring in September, in the absolutely horrible position of losing out on the opportunity to do a vac. :(
    I would just be sure to communicate with the firm as early as possible if this is something which might affect you, but I really do think they’ll do everything to help you as best as possible.

I think CC are still doing the Vac this summer but doing it online, I think it is the TC interviews that are being held in winter - please correct me if I’m wrong though as that is just based on my reading in the thread! :) However, many people may not be able to attend in person winter TC interviews in London, and so I should think firms will be very flexible with this too.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Dheepa

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I would just be sure to communicate with the firm as early as possible if this is something which might affect you, but I really do think they’ll do everything to help you as best as possible.

I think CC are still doing the Vac this summer but doing it online, I think it is the TC interviews that are being held in winter - please correct me if I’m wrong though as that is just based on my reading in the thread! :) However, many people may not be able to attend in person winter TC interviews in London, and so I should think firms will be very flexible with this too.

Thank you for being so reassuring! I've been preparing for the worst and have made sure firms know my circumstances, so if schemes are moved back to winter, I'm just holding out for the chance that I will be allowed to interview for a direct TC instead.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Thank you for being so reassuring! I've been preparing for the worst and have made sure firms know my circumstances, so if schemes are moved back to winter, I'm just holding out for the chance that I will be allowed to interview for a direct TC instead.
    You’ve done absolutely the best thing and I think being diligent as you have been is the best approach (and actually shows the firm how organised you are too I like to think!). I really hope that things run smoothly for you and that everything turns out ok and I’m sure they’ll be as accommodating as possible :)

• 🤝

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    it’s better than no opportunity, which is the likely outcome for many firms. I get it isn’t ideal, but I would ensure you invest time with the firm after the internship and ask to come in for a “keep in touch” day after getting your offer. I used to do this a lot for those who hadn’t had the opportunity to do a vacation scheme with the firms I worked for (basically was a day’s worth of work shadowing/visiting the office/being wined and dined).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

you should speak to the firm. At worst, you could see if you could do the internship in your home country (if they have an office there). Not ideal, but given circumstances it will be better than nothing.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Considering many lawyers will have had to experience the same issues of lack of space, crowded houses no office space, I suspect they will be very ok with this. If you think it will cause major issues (like no internet) I suspect by this time some restrictions will be lifted and you could seek an interim solution, like using your universities facilities or even looking into an affordable co working space.

GP Salient

Mar 19, 2020
    Looks like a fair few firms are either postponing or holding summer vacations schemes virtually which is fine as you still get that experience. I would be worried if any firms decide to outright cancel the summer vacs. Will that happen? I imagine a lot of resources are put into recruiting those people anyways so hope not

Reactions: W

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Gibson Dunn emailed at the start of the week saying they are still hoping to hold the summer scheme as planned at the end of June till mid July but obviously will be closely monitoring what the government/health advice is saying just so you're all aware :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Zayn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Looks like a fair few firms are either postponing or holding summer vacations schemes virtually which is fine as you still get that experience. I would be worried if any firms decide to outright cancel the summer vacs. Will that happen? I imagine a lot of resources are put into recruiting those people anyways so hope not

Completely feasible that they are cancelled. Even when the lockdown is lifted, there are going to be lots of parents who are going to be sending the kids back to school until September.

this will mean more people have to work from home until then, which will mean things like having appropriate supervisors in the office will be much more difficult.

vacation schemes are resource intense too in terms of preparation. Even everything is lifted by late May, having a few weeks to prep a whole summer internship programme is not necessarily feasible.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.