General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
To everyone getting a FF rejection post-WG. Honestly, I think they simply have fewer places this year. I know they are holding AC's this week for Direct TC applicants, however, they may simply only have a couple of spots to offer after they had given out TC's to their VS candidates. I'd urge everyone who was successful with their application pre-WG to re-apply this cycle for the VS. I think you'll have a better chance.

Keep on grinding guys.

D

I can't find any info on FF's reapplication policy but I'm assuming that when apps open again in October it would count as a new cycle?

Reactions: S87

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I can't find any info on FF's reapplication policy but I'm assuming that when apps open again in October it would count as a new cycle?
    The period applications are open (October-July for Freshfields) is a cycle. Also worth noting Freshfields only accept vacation scheme applications for penultimate year students so anyone final year and above would have to pursue the direct TC route.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Jessica, what's the procedure for asking a firm for an SAR - just sending an email to grad rec? Would they then have to give me any internal communication / notes regarding my application, interview performance, etc.?

Also, would you suggest first asking for feedback informally, or leading with the SAR?

I made two SARs last year. I would say you're making the request under the Data Protection Act 2018 and then state what information the firm has on you that you'd like to see.

E.g:

- notes made in VS interview
    - notes made in TC interview
    - feedback from VS mentor

Hope this helps

GlamB

Dec 6, 2019
    I finally heard back from Freshfields today after my vac scheme earlier this summer and I'm so excited to have been offered a TC! After my final interview, I really thought I messed up and the opportunity was gone. Still quite shocked! This year's been such a rollercoaster for me and I was so lucky to have found such a wonderful community here on TCLA.

Good to luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from firms or having interviews/ACs! Keep going, you're almost there! :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I finally heard back from Freshfields today after my vac scheme earlier this summer and I'm so excited to have been offered a TC! After my final interview, I really thought I messed up and the opportunity was gone. Still quite shocked! This year's been such a rollercoaster for me and I was so lucky to have found such a wonderful community here on TCLA.

Good to luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from firms or having interviews/ACs! Keep going, you're almost there! :)
    Huge congrats! That's absolutely fantastic news - what a start to the week that is! :D

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Amazing, you must have done a brilliant job on the vacation scheme. Well done!

TTD20

Jan 16, 2020
    Hello @Jessica Booker

I made an application to BCLP in April for a direct TC but I still have not got a reply.
    Do you think I should email them? or just wait?

I feel like everyone has already either gotten a rejection or a TC by now.

I applied in February and only just received my AC invite on Saturday and it's taking place on Thursday! I think they only give a weeks notice. I think they have ACs on Tuesdays and Thursdays and when I spoke to them it sounded as though there will be more taking place next week. So you could still get an invite! Fingers crossed!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Zaynob

Zaynob

Standard Member
    Mar 23, 2020
    I applied in February and only just received my AC invite on Saturday and it's taking place on Thursday! I think they only give a weeks notice. I think they have ACs on Tuesdays and Thursdays and when I spoke to them it sounded as though there will be more taking place next week. So you could still get an invite! Fingers crossed!

Thank you! The anticipation is crazy. I can just imagine my application printed out with dust on it in the corner of the room.

Good luck with your AC wish you the best!!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: TTD20

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker

I made an application to BCLP in April for a direct TC but I still have not got a reply.
    Do you think I should email them? or just wait?

I feel like everyone has already either gotten a rejection or a TC by now.

Given what else has been said, give it at least another week. If you have not heard by Tuesday/Wednesday next week, then think about contacting them.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I am not an expert on SARs mainly where they are actually quite rare.

You can find templates online for SAR requests. You need to be explicit including timeframes of the data, type of data you want etc.

This will then form the basis of any information they provide to you.

I would always try to get feedback before putting in a SAR request though. A SAR will be very annoying/time consuming and it will be much easier for a firm to provide you with some feedback rather than going through a process of a SAR. The other issue with SAR is that it doesn’t get the feedback to you in a timely manner - from memory it can take up to 90 days for them to respond with no issues.
    Ah I see, thank you.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I made two SARs last year. I would say you're making the request under the Data Protection Act 2018 and then state what information the firm has on you that you'd like to see.

E.g:

- notes made in VS interview
    - notes made in TC interview
    - feedback from VS mentor

Hope this helps
    That's very helpful, thanks so much!

When you sent our your SARs, did you first request informal feedback or did you got with the SAR straight away?

R29

Feb 10, 2020
    Just received a virtual assessment day invite from Trowers & Hamlins!

The invite says that the day will consist of a written exercise, an analytical interview and a general interview - does anyone have any experience of these?
    Congratulations! I'm still waiting to hear back from Trowers. May I ask which office this is for?

• 🤝
    Reactions: T.W

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I was searching the A&O website, and found something interesting.

A few weeks ago, when the TC apps /VS apps opened, re TC's there were only vacancies for 2023 TC's. I remember, because I was shocked that I passed a cycle already! anyways, Today, I checked, and its showing a 2022 TC , with modified deadlines(17 August- 31 August), whereas the TC for 2023 is from 3rd August to December.

1) Is this common? Or since A&O introduced this new vacancy, does that mean they've got more space for TC's left over from their VS than initially? I honestly cannot recall this particular vacancy being there initially, though if I am wrong, please let me know!

2) I know it's competitive, but should I apply for the 2023 TC, rather than the 2022 intake? Am i correct in assuming that because of Covid-19, there are less TC's available as Vacation Schemers are firming firms due to the nature of the market, and hence, the 2023 intake would be fresher, and more strategic to apply for(as I know, from the past cycle, A&O recruit TC's alongside their VS intake!)

:) any guidance would be helpful .

Reactions: ibs97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was searching the A&O website, and found something interesting.

A few weeks ago, when the TC apps /VS apps opened, re TC's there were only vacancies for 2023 TC's. I remember, because I was shocked that I passed a cycle already! anyways, Today, I checked, and its showing a 2022 TC , with modified deadlines(17 August- 31 August), whereas the TC for 2023 is from 3rd August to December.

1) Is this common? Or since A&O introduced this new vacancy, does that mean they've got more space for TC's left over from their VS than initially? I honestly cannot recall this particular vacancy being there initially, though if I am wrong, please let me know!

2) I know it's competitive, but should I apply for the 2023 TC, rather than the 2022 intake? Am i correct in assuming that because of Covid-19, there are less TC's available as Vacation Schemers are firming firms due to the nature of the market, and hence, the 2023 intake would be fresher, and more strategic to apply for(as I know, from the past cycle, A&O recruit TC's alongside their VS intake!)

:) any guidance would be helpful .

Earlier vacancies can happen all the time - it’s just less common for them to actively advertise it, but they may just be doing that to cover their backs, particularly with a new visa process coming in.

It doesn’t take much for earlier vacancies to happen. People failing then GDL/LPC (might be more relevant this year), people reneging offers (again might be more relevant if people are wondering if the U.K./London is really somewhere they want to be now), some people asking to defer for personal reasons (given Covid, again I would expect this), some people being brought forward from 2022 to 2021 because vacancies have happened to pop up in 2021 for the same reasons. All is it takes is one person to renege, one person to fail, another to be brought forward, and another to defer and nearly 10% of your intake is now spare and will need filling (for instance if they were all the March intake).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: dosblancos7

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Earlier vacancies can happen all the time - it’s just less common for them to actively advertise it, but they may just be doing that to cover their backs, particularly with a new visa process coming in.

It doesn’t take much for earlier vacancies to happen. People failing then GDL/LPC (might be more relevant this year), people reneging offers (again might be more relevant if people are wondering if the U.K./London is really somewhere they want to be now), some people asking to defer for personal reasons (given Covid, again I would expect this), some people being brought forward from 2022 to 2021 because vacancies have happened to pop up in 2021 for the same reasons. All is it takes is one person to renege, one person to fail, another to be brought forward, and another to defer and nearly 10% of your intake is now spare and will need filling (for instance if they were all the March intake).

Thank you! Considering the situation, do you think it's wiser to apply for the 2022 app, or 2023? A&O only make you apply for a vacancy for TC once per 12 months, so it'll be super key to pick the more safer option(unless both are equally competitive?)

Thanks for explaining the vacancies thing!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.