2.2 in first year, can I still apply to MC/US firms

Aicha

Standard Member
Oct 25, 2020
Hi all,

I ended my first year with around 58% in my degree. By the end of second year my grades went to 64.5%. I was wondering whether there it is still worth applying to MC/ US firms or would I be outright rejected?

My extra-curriculars and work experience are strong but will the grades enable me to get through the initial application round?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think you will be in a stronger position once you have your final year results, and then you can show not only are your 2.2s in a minority, but you can also show you have progressed/maintained your strong grades

Reactions: Aicha

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
I think you will be in a stronger position once you have your final year results, and then you can show not only are your 2.2s in a minority, but you can also show you have progressed/maintained your strong grades
Hi just to follow on from this, I really messed up an exam in first year and ended up scoring a 32 on the module. It was only one of two modules that I scored below a 2:1 in my degree, and I went on to achieve a first overall. Will this have a massive impact on my applications? I can't help but feel graduate recruiters will be shocked by it and simply reject me on that basis. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

• 🏆
Reactions: 33c

AH97

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 30, 2019
Hi just to follow on from this, I really messed up an exam in first year and ended up scoring a 32 on the module. It was only one of two modules that I scored below a 2:1 in my degree, and I went on to achieve a first overall. Will this have a massive impact on my applications? I can't help but feel graduate recruiters will be shocked by it and simply reject me on that basis. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Not exactly the same and obviously anecdotal, but in my first year I ended up getting 40% in a module (in a capped first-sitting - long story) and over the years I've had interview invites from Simmons, CC, Travers, W&C, Bristows, etc!

CC and Simmons were in my second year when I only had my first year average grade of 61%.

Reactions: R Cross

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Is it a core law module?

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
Not exactly the same and obviously anecdotal, but in my first year I ended up getting 40% in a module (in a capped first-sitting - long story) and over the years I've had interview invites from Simmons, CC, Travers, W&C, Bristows, etc!

CC and Simmons were in my second year when I only had my first year average grade of 61%.
Thanks this is really encouraging. I probably am overthinking it (it's only one module grade after all!) but I just can't tell how a recruiter would react to it. Here's hoping they mainly focus on the overall degree grade!

• 🤝
Reactions: AH97

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thankfully not! It was in my original history degree

Less concerning then. Yes, they will still spot it along with your other module that you got less than a 2.1 in. But how important that is depends on so much other information on your application, it’s difficult to say how much a firm will care about it (as it will also vary between firms).

• ℹ️

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
Less concerning then. Yes, they will still spot it along with your other module that you got less than a 2.1 in. But how important that is depends on so much other information on your application, it’s difficult to say how much a firm will care about it (as it will also vary between firms).
So it's a strike against me - but not the overwhelming negative I thought it was, providing I do well in other areas of the app? Sorry to keep bothering you, but I've been stressing about this, and it's really been affecting my motivation to do applications. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So it's a strike against me - but not the overwhelming negative I thought it was, providing I do well in other areas of the app? Sorry to keep bothering you, but I've been stressing about this, and it's really been affecting my motivation to do applications. I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice!

Ill be frank - it’s a significant strike and to some firms enough to say no (I suspect especially if there is another low module in the same year). But it won’t be to every firm - I’ve seen enough people with a similar profile of first year results get roles. They do typically achieve it slightly later on it their academic or once graduated though.

• ℹ️

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
Ill be frank - it’s a significant strike and to some firms enough to say no (I suspect especially if there is another low module in the same year). But it won’t be to every firm - I’ve seen enough people with a similar profile of first year results get roles. They do typically achieve it slightly later on it their academic or once graduated though.
The only other result that I got below a 2:1 in my entire degree was a 58. I was really hoping the fact that I finished with a first and got a distinction on the LPC might balance out the 32 from my first year. But thank you, I really appreciate your honesty

R Cross

Dec 19, 2019
You are likely to struggle a bit with S&M (although even then, it isn’t the kiss of death, you’ll just need to make sure the rest of your application is stellar), but otherwise, there are enough people (myself included) with the odd Desmond in a 1st year module who still got an MC TC. It is a hindrance but equally isn’t a killer blow completely.

Being able to show you went on a upwards trajectory is vital though - if you consistently get 2.2s or graduate with a low 2.1 it might be harder.

Not sure if this is directed at me or Aicha, but thanks for this - that's really encouraging. I realise my 32 isn't an odd Desmond, but hopefully I can convince some firms at least that it was a one off, as I did show an upward trajectory. I went from a strong 2:1 in second year, to a first in my last year. So fingers crossed!

• 🤝
Reactions: Aicha and Adam Gilchrist

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.