2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
Hey, I’m working on an application and was wondering if anyone could help me:

‘What do you understand to be the biggest opportunity for one of our key sectors and how the firm should pursue this?’

I’m stuck because everything I seem to think of the firm is already doing. Is there any other way I can approach this question??

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from Ashurst after completing the online tests for the 2023 March training contract application. They said that interviews will be held on week beginning 26th April.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

‘What do you understand to be the biggest opportunity for one of our key sectors and how the firm should pursue this?’

I’m stuck because everything I seem to think of the firm is already doing. Is there any other way I can approach this question??
    Just some questions to consider….

Is there another way they could approach the opportunity?

Is there something other sectors (eg non-law firms) are doing in a similar way that might be a good approach.

Is there a way that they can build upon the work they are already doing?

Is there a sub-section within the opportunity they have already explored, that maybe could be strengthened in some way?

Reactions: MandyAA and Jaysen

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I totally agree with the points Jess has already raised. Only thing I would maybe consider adding as a question for thought would be:
    "Have there been any recent legal or commercial developments in a given sector which dramatically change its landscape and open up new opportunities?"

Hope this helps!

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
    Jan 20, 2021
    Just some questions to consider….

Is there another way they could approach the opportunity?

Is there something other sectors (eg non-law firms) are doing in a similar way that might be a good approach.

Is there a way that they can build upon the work they are already doing?

Is there a sub-section within the opportunity they have already explored, that maybe could be strengthened in some way?
    Thank you Jessica! These questions are really helpful!!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

TCGIRLLL

Star Member
    Apr 21, 2021
    Not TC but I sent my Ashurst Winter Vac app in as the deadline shut (was actually 6 mins late lol) and I got a place on the scheme - if youve done it just send it in there is no harm!
    💗💗💗💗💗. Thank you so much for the encouragement. I’ve turned it in. Any tips for the assessment? Ive been doing a lot of brain exercise games, is that enough? :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: LeilaScott

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Not TC but I sent my Ashurst Winter Vac app in as the deadline shut (was actually 6 mins late lol) and I got a place on the scheme - if youve done it just send it in there is no harm!
    hey- I got an Ashurst SVS coming up- would it be okay to discuss the scheme/your experience on PM? :) Just super curious as to what it entails of, and how it differs from other schemes :D

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    A&O don’t open reopen their applications for direct TC in the summer. Firms like A&O, Linklaters and Clifford Chance open their direct TC applications at the start of winter and that’s the only time you can apply for their direct TC.
    They(A&O) reopened their app last summer(August 2020)- I remember applying for it. I recall even Linklaters had a direct TC app, with a deadline due on either June or July i believe

Reactions: Teniola Adigun
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.