2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Honestly pretty easy. This is my first cycle as a converting student moving to the MA Law/SQE route, so I always thought my legal experience, or lack of, would hinder my chances. I've had several straight rejections which was to be expected, I had one VI for another firm that went terribly (10 seconds to think of an answer and 30 seconds to give the answer with no retakes is very brutal and not my thing lmao).

FF were my first phone interview, first AC and now first final stage interview, so I'm actually quite pleased so far. It's kind of messed with my head that during the employability workshop earlier this month, they essentially said if you receive an offer of the interview post AC, you've ''pretty much already got the job''. No celebrations/commiserations until the outcome!

Overall, the recruitment team are super lovely. I can only speak on behalf of the Manchester team/office (amazing views by the way!). I suppose it depends how many you've already applied for. I applied to mid-tier and smaller firms based on my interests in specific sectors, so I'm not really sure of the larger firms (apart from White and Case) and can't compare. If you feel you've crashed and burnt a little, take time to mentally recharge. No point putting a half-hearted application if you really don't have that desire to work there, plus you want time to recoup.
    That is amazing! Well done especially since this was your first cycle. I started applying in January and I’ve been putting a lot of pressure on myself which is why I already feel burntout. I have been successful post app with some firms but I feel that my nerves and stress always got the best of me. Lol and yeah I also HATE VIs with a passion. They’re not for me either 🤣

I met FF at an employability programme as well and really liked them but got so busy that I didn’t have enough time to write a good application to send off. I think it’s too late now tbh.

I really hope you get the TC!! We’re all rooting for you 🥳🥳

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    That is amazing! Well done especially since this was your first cycle. I started applying in January and I’ve been putting a lot of pressure on myself which is why I already feel burntout. I have been successful post app with some firms but I feel that my nerves and stress always got the best of me. Lol and yeah I also HATE VIs with a passion. They’re not for me either 🤣

I met FF at an employability programme as well and really liked them but got so busy that I didn’t have enough time to write a good application to send off. I think it’s too late now tbh.

I really hope you get the TC!! We’re all rooting for you 🥳🥳
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I wish you every success with your other applications :)

New law in place - no more virtual interviews 🤣

• Love
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    What kind of things have y'all been asked to do presentations on the AC days? I notice a lot of firms say you must do a presentation, and I figure you get told the topic on the day/just before. I was just curious as to what sort of topics y'all have been asked to present on
    I've had one AC where I was told to prepare a presentation. I was informed it could be on literally anything I wanted but had to be no more than 15 minutes long. There were about 15 or so presentations and they varied on legal-ish things (which was funny as we had two on the same topic!! the odds!), to horse-riding to perfume (the girl even brought in a few perfume bottles as a show and tell!). I kept it simple and did it on a poet/poem I liked with a simple powerpoint (and was successful to the next round).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone had recent experience with Topscore? I’ve got an AC coming up with it and was wondering if there’s a timer for each exercise? Also, does Grammarly work on the platform?

Thanks!
    Grammarly shouldn't be able to work. Last time I saw it, it just told you the time the exercise would end rather than having a timer.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Has anyone had recent experience with Topscore? I’ve got an AC coming up with it and was wondering if there’s a timer for each exercise? Also, does Grammarly work on the platform?

Thanks!

In my experience (January 2021), Topscore displayed when the exercise would end, rather than a timer as such.

Although, sometimes I noticed the exercise expired a couple of minutes after it was meant to. So, I would recommend setting your own timer just in case.

Didn’t use Grammarly but my spell check did work.

Reactions: Deleted member 3795

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Does anyone know if White & Case are rolling? Deadline is next month (applied about a month ago), yet I’ve already seen people be offered a TC.

Also would love to know if anyone got through to interviews for Level Law (niche music/entertainment firm in London) they were only taking one trainee on, but I got a really nice email from then despite the rejection.

EVjuji

Valued Member
    Nov 29, 2019
    Does anyone know if White & Case are rolling? Deadline is next month (applied about a month ago), yet I’ve already seen people be offered a TC.

Also would love to know if anyone got through to interviews for Level Law (niche music/entertainment firm in London) they were only taking one trainee on, but I got a really nice email from then despite the rejection.
    As far as I know their TC is non rolling. Would be def worth applying!

This was confirmed in another thread: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....irms-recruit-on-a-rolling-basis-2019-20.1757/

Reactions: Noodles52

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021

I applied to them before (last year, 14th July 2020) and didn't hear back until 28th October 2020 - this was just from the app stage, not any further. They seem to get quite backlogged with apps as I was told by their recruitment team they get about 4,000+ a year, so these might be old ones that are being offered a TC?

That would be my guess anyway, bc I can't remember if they are actually rolling or not.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Hi everyone, just as a side note, if you have been waiting for your Fieldfisher tests a while they did not come up for me on the 'important' label on gmail so I was notified that they had come in. I was going to email them today about the tests but then realised this when I did a word search in my email, thank god it was before the 5 day limit! Does anyone have a word of advice about the tests? Is it like the Linklaters CAPP test?

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I applied to them before (last year, 14th July 2020) and didn't hear back until 28th October 2020 - this was just from the app stage, not any further. They seem to get quite backlogged with apps as I was told by their recruitment team they get about 4,000+ a year, so these might be old ones that are being offered a TC?

That would be my guess anyway, bc I can't remember if they are actually rolling or not.
    I didn't think they were. They're still taking applications until the 31st of next month, but I was just confused with seeing others already having received offers for the same cohort year, or the year previous. I can imagine they get a horrendous number so that's understandable. Thanks!

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Hi everyone, just as a side note, if you have been waiting for your Fieldfisher tests a while they did not come up for me on the 'important' label on gmail so I was notified that they had come in. I was going to email them today about the tests but then realised this when I did a word search in my email, thank god it was before the 5 day limit! Does anyone have a word of advice about the tests? Is it like the Linklaters CAPP test?
    It's not so much academic and the yes or no answer type assessments, but they just want you to be genuine about what you would do in the situations. I *believe* (it's been a while since I actually did the test) it is simply just a set of questions about different scenarios and so forth. It's relatively easy in comparison to other tests, CAPP and WG for example, but still really worth taking your time on if you can.

• 🏆
    Reactions: ZaraB

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Has anyone heard back from simkins
    I gave them an email a couple weeks ago as I hadn't heard anything, and they said they would respond to all applicants by June 30th, with interviews taking place w/c 12th of July. I haven't heard anything either just to clarify, but they just said they had received a significant number more so than any other year, and they don't use an automated system to filter out applications, hence why it takes longer.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.