2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lohana

Star Member
Dec 24, 2020
Hi guys about to submit my Addleshaw Goddard Direct TC app for the London office - but just wanted to know - is AG known for making any direct tc offers? Or does the firm mainly take its trainees from its vac scheme. Dont want to seem like I wasted an app :(

Reactions: TK123

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread but if the application asks you to describe a covid related legal issue and how it has impacted the legal sector, does discussing the impact of covid on future remote working plans qualify?
    I wouldn't consider this as a legal issue, no.

Think about the sorts of legal challenges created by covid - a lot of these are going to be in things like commercial contracts, employment issues, tax issues, insurance (eg the landmark business interruption insurance case etc)... these are all challenges where there are legal concerns at their very core. I would also give some consideration to practice areas which are particularly relevant to the firm you're applying to and where these issues may dovetail with the firm's work.

Reactions: Lawbour

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What are firms looking for in group exercises? An individual in my group wouldn't stop talking and barely allowed anyone else to speak!
    They're certainly not looking for that! Don't worry though, you won't be judged negatively for not contributing if it was impossible for you to contribute.

Have a wee read of my Definitive Guide to Assessed Negotiations, available via the link in my signature, for a discussion of team dynamics in assessed group tasks.

Reactions: Alice94

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys about to submit my Addleshaw Goddard Direct TC app for the London office - but just wanted to know - is AG known for making any direct tc offers? Or does the firm mainly take its trainees from its vac scheme. Dont want to seem like I wasted an app :(
    If you've put the time and effort into creating it, send it off! It would be cutting your nose off to spite your face otherwise.

I cant speak for AG personally, but, generally, if firms think you're strong enough, then they will make you an offer regardless of how you apply. Yes, there are some broad-brush trends, but these don't replace the idea that the best candidates will be offered the best positions!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    freshfields says they do not recruit on a rolling basis so screening starts on 15 july. how have people been sent wg already🤯 did i get binned
    They probably have over 1,000 applications to review, which is easily 90 hours of screening. So it isn’t surprising to hear back at this stage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.