2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Sorry Bianca - just had another thought and wanted to share it

The TLDR is: What's your end game, what do you want to achieve? Because if it's 'become a commercial solicitor' or 'become a partner' then paralegalling for however long you do it, will give you the skills and legal and business accumen to succeed at that.

For instance, I applied for TC's last year while in the second year of my degree. But to be honest, if I'd have got a TC, I doubt I would have thrived in that environment. I wasn't ready. Once you get the skills you need or even the skill of presenting yourself and coping in a high stress environment, or learning how to sift through big documents etc, then you'll be in such a better fit.

If, however, you already have those skills and you're concerned about pay or salary - AND you would actually ENJOY being an architect, then go for it - there is nothing stopping you.

As for the fears regarding "will it look like I've gone down another path and don't really want it" I honestly wouldn't worry about that - As I said earlier, lots of people get TC's later in life. But, as someone who's not an architecht (this also probably includes law firm recruiters) it's for you to shape and portray your experience in a legal way.

If you've suggested architechture can fit nicely into law and that it makes you interesting, it makes you different, it means that you can, idk, see conveyancing and legal tech issues from a different angle, look into that, hone in on that. Because if anything, you'll become "The architecht applicant" and you'll really stand out. But it terms of making yourself relevant, start thinking in that way and you'll find it easier.

It was useful for me to write this to you because tbh, I really need to take this advice myself!!!
    thank you soso much for taking the time to work through your thinking on my situation, i really appreciate it. i will have a long and hard think about what i want to do in the short term and work it out from there to the end game. i think i'm just overthinking because i've not had direct feedback from firms before as to why i've been rejected at post-app/post-wg. i think my ideal job would be something like being a construction counsel but that's really niche so perhaps a generic paralegal experience might build me up to the TC. i'm in a bit of an awkward situation because i just qualified as an architect right before the beginning of my GDL so i've only had max 3 years of architectural practice experience so i don't feel like i'm exactly a "career" changer with a lot to leverage. sorry for the long rant but thank you again for taking the time to write to me 🥲

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It's been so lovely seeing everyone on this forum announce their training contract offers and I never would have comprehended I would be in a similar position so soon.

I was offered a training contract today from my dream firm, to start this year. 🌠

I truly do believe all those rejections I received only opened more doors for me which lead me to the right firm at the right time. So I would encourage anyone who is going through rejections and/or doubtfulness, do continue to persevere!

Thank you so much to the community of TCLA, being able to share my anxieties and to converse with others in the same situations has made this TC process a whole lot less isolating. 💞 💞 💞
    Congratulations! Love these type of posts 😍

You Deserve This GIF by Peloton

• Love
    Reactions: Jaysen and karinny

Tangle

Jan 30, 2021
    Looking for some honest/brutal advice here. I got my GDL results and overall I got a high commendation which I am happy with but I screwed up my contract exam and only got a 52. I want to know whether it’s even worth applying to city firms with this result next year or whether I should focus on another area of law. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Looking for some honest/brutal advice here. I got my GDL results and overall I got a high commendation which I am happy with but I screwed up my contract exam and only got a 52. I want to know whether it’s even worth applying to city firms with this result next year or whether I should focus on another area of law. Thank you!
    Definitely worthwhile applying based on that information alone

• 🤝
    Reactions: Tangle

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    @Jessica Booker i was hoping you could answer a question of mine.
    I previously applied to a firm which I believe was the 2023 intake but was unsuccessful in the last year’s cycle. However, the recruitment cycle has opened up again in the new cycle and they are advertising that they have a couple more spaces for the 2023 training contract. If I made an application, I would be allowed to do this as this is a new cycle, correct?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker i was hoping you could answer a question of mine.
    I previously applied to a firm which I believe was the 2023 intake but was unsuccessful in the last year’s cycle. However, the recruitment cycle has opened up again in the new cycle and they are advertising that they have a couple more spaces for the 2023 training contract. If I made an application, I would be allowed to do this as this is a new cycle, correct?
    You’d need to check with the firm. Some may consider it that you are applying for the same role and therefore no appropriate to reapply. Others may consider it within a new application cycle and so may allow a second application.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    It's been so lovely seeing everyone on this forum announce their training contract offers and I never would have comprehended I would be in a similar position so soon.

I was offered a training contract today from my dream firm, to start this year. 🌠

I truly do believe all those rejections I received only opened more doors for me which lead me to the right firm at the right time. So I would encourage anyone who is going through rejections and/or doubtfulness, do continue to persevere!

Thank you so much to the community of TCLA, being able to share my anxieties and to converse with others in the same situations has made this TC process a whole lot less isolating. 💞 💞 💞

Ahhhhh congratulations!! You've always been super active and helpful on here so really feels like a huge win for the entire team! ☺️

• Love
    Reactions: Jaysen and karinny

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Delighted for you, well done :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    hello! i'd like some career advice regarding most likely not receiving a TC this cycle. i finished my GDL this year and would want to keep applying along with a full-time job. i was wondering whether i should stick with my previous career (i can register as an architect in the UK) and continue building my knowledge within that sector (i am particularly interested in the built environment for legal matters too) or would you think i would have a better chance of securing a TC by paralegalling after my GDL so my record is an obvious transition to the law? i hope this makes sense, i'm just not sure whether having a lack of corporate legal experience is worse or leaving a semi-established career before securing a TC is worse ): to some extent, the salary also does factor into my concern as well as i would have to accept entry-level pay again as a legal assistant. thank you in advance!
    Hey Bianca,

Just wanted to add that I think law firms place a higher value on the kind of experience and responsibility you've had in the role rather than whether or not it's strictly legal. The chances of you having more real responsibility as a long term architect rather than an entry level legal assistant is much higher. I also agree with what's been said about maybe trying to chase any legal opportunities within that role - ie finding more ways to get involved in the environmental stuff you mentioned. Firms might question your motivation for switching careers, but I think this is true of any career changer - and the fact that you've committed to self-funding the GDL may help with that. You could also consider doing some of the virtual internships on Forage, attending more events with law firms, etc - again just to demonstrate your commitment to law. I personally think one of the things that made me stand out in the app process was the fact that I went out of my way to secure non-legal work experience and then relate it to why it made me want to pursue law - so I 100% agree with what's been said about just leveraging your experiences in the right way! :)

• Love
    Reactions: Jaysen and BiancaM
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.