2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
Jul 21, 2020
Long shot but does anyone have a list of firms who hire a lot through the direct TC route and/or prefer graduates?
The MC firms give out a lot of direct TCs. I think Ashurst and Baker Mckenzie do a fair few too. I would say, in general elite US don’t offer many direct TCs. How that helps a little bit.

• ℹ️
Reactions: gg332dd

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
I got an interview with Macs for a direct TC last summer if that helps. Some of the midsized less popular firms (think Kingsley Napley or Marriott Hanson as opposed to Linklaters or A&O) do also.
Hey Matt, just wondering when you applied to Macfarlanes last year. I applied for the VS and am thinking about applying for the Direct TC now rather than waiting for the first response to get it in earlier.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

Go and have a look on the www.lawcareers.net website - they have a list of TC deadlines which you can separate out from Vac scheme deadlines. However, I don't think it differentiates between firms that recruit 90% of their trainees from vac schemes and still advertise for direct TCs and those that only do direct TCs. You'll have to do a bit of research to figure that one out!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: gg332dd

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey Matt, just wondering when you applied to Macfarlanes last year. I applied for the VS and am thinking about applying for the Direct TC now rather than waiting for the first response to get it in earlier.

I'm afraid I don't remember. I think I applied in November and got a response in August. But don't let that dishearten you. I have an acquaintance who is starting her TC there in September who applied in June and was interviewed in July. They do seem to take it quite seriously.

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020
    I applied to Mayer Brown for direct TC over a week ago, but still haven't got the invite to online tests. Should I check with the graduate recruitment team? 🤔

H Chambers

Star Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Posting this again, but I've seen a couple of interviews for Bristows, and a couple of PFO's as well. Is anyone else still waiting on any feedback post-VI-partner review? Not sure what to think because of this.

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I applied to Macfarlanes VC a few weeks ago, however GR emailed me saying I was only eligible to apply for their direct TC, not the vac scheme and that I needed to apply down that route to be considered. Would it be okay to literally copy and paste my answers from my VC application to the direct TC application seeing as it wasn't technically 'considered'? Thank you in advance!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    The MC firms give out a lot of direct TCs. I think Ashurst and Baker Mckenzie do a fair few too. I would say, in general elite US don’t offer many direct TCs. How that helps a little bit.

I applied for two US firms that do direct TCs this cycle actually. But they aren't mainstream firms and only take 2-4 trainees a year so the chances of success are very very slim.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I applied to Macfarlanes VC a few weeks ago, however GR emailed me saying I was only eligible to apply for their direct TC, not the vac scheme and that I needed to apply down that route to be considered. Would it be okay to literally copy and paste my answers from my VC application to the direct TC application seeing as it wasn't technically 'considered'? Thank you in advance!
    Sorry would you mind sharing why you weren't eligible for the Vac Scheme? Is it not open to everyone?

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    I applied for two US firms that do direct TCs this cycle actually. But they aren't mainstream firms and only take 2-4 trainees a year so the chances of success are very very slim.
    I think the problem with elite US firms is that they advertise direct TCs but often only look at them if they don’t get enough people from the vac schemes so chances of getting a direct Tc is very slim as you say. You would have to consider the time and effort required in order to research and write the application in the first place only for it to not even be read.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I think the problem with elite US firms is that they advertise direct TCs but often only look at them if they don’t get enough people from the vac schemes so chances of getting a direct Tc is very slim as you say. You would have to consider the time and effort required in order to research and write the application in the first place only for it to not even be read.

These particular firms did not offer vacation schemes tbh. But I do appreciate your point. There is next to no point applying to a US firm for a direct TC if it takes 90% of candidates from the Vac Scheme. Just on the odds alone it is wasted time, as you say.

Reactions: Dheepa and Abbie4329

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Sorry would you mind sharing why you weren't eligible for the Vac Scheme? Is it not open to everyone?
    Hi I believe it is open to everyone however I previously got to AC stage last year for the Vac Scheme and didn't get it but GR encouraged me to apply again. It seems however that because of this I can only be considered for a direct TC instead. I'm not sure why because the AC is probably very similar so it is a bit strange.

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I applied to Mayer Brown for direct TC over a week ago, but still haven't got the invite to online tests. Should I check with the graduate recruitment team? 🤔
    They vet the initial apps before sending out the test invites, so I wouldn't bother them yet. I imagine that, like so many firms this year, they are struggling with the volume. Plus they probably try to get the VSs sorted first - after all, they would want to be using those as a recruitment mechanism. A week is nothing in pandemic recruitment terms, I'd say.

If you want to check on your status you can log into your account and find out if you've missed an email? That might reassure you at least.

Reactions: CJCH

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Long shot but does anyone have a list of firms who hire a lot through the direct TC route and/or prefer graduates?

Not a long shot, TCLA's got you covered ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.