2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
Did anybody email NRF to find out their WG score? I am unsure whether to email or not.. it can be confusing with these percentages/ percentile differences so not sure how useful knowing my score will be !

Reactions: John Travoni

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
Are direct TCs generally reserved for graduate changers/graduates? Also can you apply for a direct TC after you've failed to get VC with a firm- in the same application window?

MzM

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2019
If anyone is after some timeframe answers from freshies, they are answering people's questions on their insta story.

It says: we hope to get back to all SVS applicants in the next few weeks. TC applicants may not hear from us until mid-march (although many will be sooner). As we receive so many applications, the length of time between applying, receiving a WG test (only those shortlisted), and hearing an outcome can vary greatly as we work our way through all applications.

One of the earlier ones said that they are only now starting to make decisions on TC applicants. Not sure whether that means they are making interview invite decisions or just still making their way through apps and deciding who to give WG invites to.

• ℹ️
Reactions: CK74 and dosblancos7

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Hi all, I just had a thought and would very much appreciate any thoughts. If I’m listing the open days I’ve attended in the work experience section of an application form, will it look bad if I list firms which are quite different than the firm I’m applying to?

Edited to add: I have also attended an open evening with this firm, which I intend to talk about in greater detail.

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Did anybody email NRF to find out their WG score? I am unsure whether to email or not.. it can be confusing with these percentages/ percentile differences so not sure how useful knowing my score will be !
    Nope, I think I'm just going to wait and see if I make it to the next stage, as with yourself I don't know how useful knowing my score would be outside of that.

Reactions: Law2022

Rachel123

Premium Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    Guys, FF are having an IG live and they literally just said they are still reviewing direct TC applications and we can expect to hear back this month or early March!!! 🤩

Are most people currently waiting for a response from Freshfields waiting at the post-Watson Glaser stage?

I applied for direct TC and haven't been sent a WG, but I know that many people have. So I'm assuming that's a PFO but would be interested to know if anyone else is in the same boat

TR17

Star Member
    Jul 3, 2020
    Are most people currently waiting for a response from Freshfields waiting at the post-Watson Glaser stage?

I applied for direct TC and haven't been sent a WG, but I know that many people have. So I'm assuming that's a PFO but would be interested to know if anyone else is in the same boat
    I haven’t heard back from FF for the direct TC either. My application was updated about two weeks ago but no news from them yet. I think a few ppl are on this thread are on the same boat as us :)

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    Hi all, I just had a thought and would very much appreciate any thoughts. If I’m listing the open days I’ve attended in the work experience section of an application form, will it look bad if I list firms which are quite different than the firm I’m applying to?

Edited to add: I have also attended an open evening with this firm, which I intend to talk about in greater detail.
    The type of firm doesn't matter; after all it is an open day, so you're just trying to see if you enjoy the work they do and could see yourself pursuing that type of law.

I would say group all your open days under one work experience heading, just to save space. Briefly mention you attended x y z firm open days, and then go into detail about what you learned on THAT (the firm your applying to) open day, mentioning any practice areas, speakers, activities you engaged in etc.

Jammo58

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2020
    Is it reasonable to expect that I was too late submitting my Mayer Brown TC app? They were rolling and I submitted 2 days before the deadline (29th Jan). I haven't received any invite to online tests or anything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.