2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

websterl

Sep 14, 2020
Hi all, I'm just posting on a couple of a threads in case anyone is interested. As I've come to the end of my TC journey, I am now looking to sell quite a few of texts second-hand at reasonable prices that definitely helped me.

- All You Need to Know About The City by Christopher Stoakes
- All You Need to Know About Commercial Awareness by Christopher Stoakes
- Critical Thinking Skills by Stella Cottrell
- Commercial Law Handbook by CityCareerSeries
- Application Handbook by CityCareer Series
- The Quick and Complete Guide to a Winning Interview by Thea Kelley
- Numerical Reasoning Tests by Heidi Smith
- Brilliant Answers to Tough Interview Questions by Susan Hodgson
- Practice & Pass Professional Numeracy Test by Alan Redman
- Numerical Reasoning Tests by how2become
- Critical Thinking Tests by how2become
- Bar Course Aptitude Tests by how2become (really good practice for the WG)
- Training Contract Handbook - CityCareerSeries

As you can see I went completely overboard on Amazon! I hope this is okay to post on this forum - I was going to advertise on my former uni group, but thought I'd try here first, as preparation for applications and interviews can be quite pricey and this is the right audience! I am also happy to answer any questions about my interview preparation/application tips. Please message me for a complete list and I'll respond on a first-come, first-served basis.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
Dec 8, 2019
Hi all, I just had a thought and would very much appreciate any thoughts. If I’m listing the open days I’ve attended in the work experience section of an application form, will it look bad if I list firms which are quite different than the firm I’m applying to?

Edited to add: I have also attended an open evening with this firm, which I intend to talk about in greater detail.
Hiya!
I agree with the above comments. I don't see anything wrong with this at all, if anything attending a variety of open days provides you with a very broad insight into the legal industry meaning you're in a better place to distinguish between firms and express a true & specific interest in the firm you are applying to. ☺️

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Hi all - If I've got some vac scheme offers and I'm still applying for TCs, should I list the vacation schemes that I have coming up in the work experience section for the direct TC app? I guess I ask this to clarify two things:

1. Do I have to disclose my vs offers?
    2. If I do mention them, will it be looked at (dis)favourably?

Would appreciate any advice and insights (@Jessica Booker or anyone who has been in similar situations before!)

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all - If I've got some vac scheme offers and I'm still applying for TCs, should I list the vacation schemes that I have coming up in the work experience section for the direct TC app? I guess I ask this to clarify two things:

Would appreciate any advice and insights (@Jessica Booker or anyone who has been in similar situations before!)

You don't have to disclose your VS offers, but I would recommend doing it because if anything it shows you're a standout candidate with clear commitment to the career. It definitely won't be looked upon unfavourably. I listed all my upcoming VS-es in my direct TC apps and got past the app stage for some with no issues.

Reactions: ilovetheDLR

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You don’t have to. But it seems silly to not include them when it shows a lot of positives than it doesn’t negative.

The only reason I would suggest you didn’t, is if they were very different firms - eg a small immigration specific firm in Northumbria, and you are applying for major full service firm in London.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.