2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anon 11031

I completely feel you, Im studying the GDL and working full time (salaried) as well so I completely understand how draining it is when you add TC apps to the list to. I would just focus on the firms that you would regret not applying to and if you can do anymore then great but it's not the be all and end all if you cant.

Ive got an excel spreadsheet listing the firms I am interested in and the closing dates so I can make sure that my top picks are submitted in time. I look at the rest by their closing date so try to just do little and often on applications (I tend to spend my lunch break on them as straight to study when I finish work).

I have seen a fair few people be successful when they only submit a few applications per cycle, quality of application, not quantity! (and make time for yourself, easier said than done I know but it makes a real difference just having an hour or two with no pressures)

Good luck!
Hey! For what it's worth I'm super amazed/impressed that you're managing a full time job + uni + applications. I feel like my measly part-time job took up so much of my time at uni, so I can only imagine what you're going through. Honestly shout out to you for doing it all, because not many people can.

You're most definitely doing enough by sticking to 6-8 apps. My first app cycle I only did 10 and I think that's the average number most students (who generally don't have your commitments) manage to do anyway, so you're more than okay with the 6-8 apps. As someone else has said, quality > quantity. I also think application writing is best done in chunks, i.e breaking up your time across several days a week. So I'd suggest trying to build a small reasonable schedule for yourself on how many hours in across a number of days you can spend researching and writing and perhaps that will make you feel less overwhelmed.

There's also this amazing post by a forum user with more detailed advice. The whole thread is worth reading actually. I really hope it helps. Best of luck with your TC apps, I've got my fingers crossed for you!
If you're really short on time but want to up your application numbers, one thing you could do is sign up for lots of different firms to see their questions, and identify ones where you have already answered the majority of Qs before? So for e.g. if you only had to redraft 2 out of 5 questions for a firm that was on your longlist you might be able to get some more off quickly? You might be able to locate 3 or 4 firms you could apply for now with a smaller resource requirement.

But it sounds like you have already done loads and have plans to do loads, so no need to push yourself harder. Especially if it will impact your grades--ultimately you are in a way better position if you graduate now with a great degree, even if it means doing applications in winter.

As someone who has also done the study-work nightmare, I don't think my approach was healthy but basically: sugar free red bull, really aggressive club music playlists, live and die by your spreadsheets that itemise your life!
Hey,

Sorry I didn't reply very quickly to any of you, work has been deadly this week - I just want to say how much I appreciate all of your thoughtful responses to this. I'm completely burned out and it's nice to know that there's people that can sympathise/empathise with feeling like this! As per @RoughWood and @HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh I've actually set up a spreadsheet and I'm already finding I'm way more motivated (filling in spreadsheets is oddly satisfying). Also, @Dheepa the advice on breaking it up has been really helpful! I think a realistic aim for me is an application a week (prioritising deadlines and rolling apps). I now have an evening a week of research and dedicated writing time at the weekend! :)

Thanks again guys, and also to @CharlotteLegal who also sent me a really thoughtful and lovely reply. I don't think I could cope with all of this without the support of this forum! 🥰

A

Anon 11031

Quick question - filling out an app that asks me about a personal achievement I've made that I'm particularly proud of. Last year I took steps (on my own) to get over a fear of flying that was extremely bad (I didn't get on a flight for like 10 years haha)...is this too personal to talk about for an answer to that question?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Quick question - filling out an app that asks me about a personal achievement I've made that I'm particularly proud of. Last year I took steps (on my own) to get over a fear of flying that was extremely bad (I didn't get on a flight for like 10 years haha)...is this too personal to talk about for an answer to that question?
    No, I wouldn't say this is too personal to be honest. I'm a fan of quite left-field answers for these sorts of questions, they show a lot more about you as a person.

As long as you feel you can justify it well and use a good structure for your answer, you'll be fine :)

A

Anon 11031

No, I wouldn't say this is too personal to be honest. I'm a fan of quite left-field answers for these sorts of questions, they show a lot more about you as a person.

As long as you feel you can justify it well and use a good structure for your answer, you'll be fine :)
    Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your input - as always! :) Would you say linking a lot of the skills/motivation from this back to general skills needed to be a solicitor should be included? I'm struggling with Pinsent's application as a whole because a lot of the questions like 'What are your spare time interests?' are so open I never know what to include!

Reactions: MLF

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your input - as always! :) Would you say linking a lot of the skills/motivation from this back to general skills needed to be a solicitor should be included? I'm struggling with Pinsent's application as a whole because a lot of the questions like 'What are your spare time interests?' are so open I never know what to include!
    Hard to answer this one definitively in all honesty - there are loads of ways of going about it, all of which could be considered as great answers if done correctly.

When I answered a question very similar to the outside interests one you mention, I discussed a (rather nerdy) hobby of mine. I discussed why I enjoyed it, centring that discussion around the skills I feel it let me use while also giving me a recreational activity to enjoy (I'm genuinely one of those people who always needs something new to nerd out on, it's espresso at the moment...). While I would talk about those skills, and those skills genuinely so happened to overlap heavily with those a solicitor might use (I think this is mainly because law requires so many skills which are heavily transferable), I didn't go so far as to say "This is similar to a solicitor blah blah blah...", just let it be more implicit.
    Be genuine though, talk about real hobbies and interests. I've talked about trading and car detailing in the past, if I were answering the same question now I might talk about getting nerdy into coffee as I mentioned. If it's a genuine interest, you'll 100% be more authentic in discussing it - it also would not be the first time where I've had an interviewer tell me they share a hobby/ interest with me, which is great if you're genuinely into the thing as it gives you a great way to build rapport with them, but would be awful if you'd been blagging and they were to ask you more about it.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jacob,

No - that isn’t necessary.

• Love

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    They are just trying to find out more about you. What you are proud of says a lot about your character. Doesn’t have to be linked to being a lawyer at all.
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I'm working on the same application as @lawnoodle and was wondering if I could use an example from a big project I worked on as part of my job as they only specify it has to be "non-academic"?

Many thanks,

Marie

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Which part of the application is this on? I'll have to add it to my Word document!

Best of luck with the application! 🥰
    It's the Pinsent Masons one: "Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you. (max 4000 characters including spaces) (500 words)"!

Good luck as well :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I'm working on the same application as @lawnoodle and was wondering if I could use an example from a big project I worked on as part of my job as they only specify it has to be "non-academic"?

Many thanks,

Marie
    If it is something you are truly most proud of, then yes.

A

Anon 11031

It's the Pinsent Masons one: "Describe your greatest non-academic achievement of the last two years and why this achievement is important to you. (max 4000 characters including spaces) (500 words)"!

Good luck as well :)
    Ahhh, I thought this was a different question - clearly I've just paraphrased it haha!

Also, I think a big project at work is a great example - but I think you'd have to mention why you were extremely passionate about that (as opposed to other projects you've worked on!). ☺️

FlapJack3000

Dec 3, 2020
    Not sure if this has been asked before, but currently working on Pinsent Masons TC application. Maximum character limit (with spaces) for each question is 4,000 words, which would mean writing around 500 words. This seems a lot to me. Being used to the 250 word limit, without rambling, I cannot write more than 300 words max.

Just wondering how everyone else has gone about it?

A

Anon 11031

Not sure if this has been asked before, but currently working on Pinsent Masons TC application. Maximum character limit (with spaces) for each question is 4,000 words, which would mean writing around 500 words. This seems a lot to me. Being used to the 250 word limit, without rambling, I cannot write more than 300 words max.

Just wondering how everyone else has gone about it?
    I think writing until you feel you have included all the information that is relevant is a good method to follow. Anything more than that will just sound waffley and wordy. An answer that's 350-400 words of quality is better than 500 of nothing! Besides, being clear and explaining yourself concisely is a key skill for a lawyer! ☺️

Reactions: FlapJack3000
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.