2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone know if Baker McKenzie will look at your WG mark and application holistically or is their WG like a benchmark type deal - I haven't heard back yet also not meaning to panic anyone lol just wondering

A M

Distinguished Member
Dec 28, 2020
Does anyone know if Baker McKenzie will look at your WG mark and application holistically or is their WG like a benchmark type deal - I haven't heard back yet also not meaning to panic anyone lol just wondering
Have you got a WG invite?

As far as i know, first they consider your app. and if you pass at that stage then they send you a WG invite and then if you meet the WG benchmark then they send you a VI invite.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Have you got a WG invite?

As far as i know, first they consider your app. and if you pass at that stage then they send you a WG invite and then if you meet the WG benchmark then they send you a VI invite.
No I haven't heard! I was just wondering as some firms take into account the strength of your application and it can outweigh a mediocre WG but seems like you are saying that isn't the case :)

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 25, 2020
Has anyone who attended a Mayer Brown AC between Feb- March heard back yet? I haven’t heard back in 3 weeks and I know of people who haven’t heard back in 1 month plus ( all the way from mid Feb)

Mo M

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020
    I think writing until you feel you have included all the information that is relevant is a good method to follow. Anything more than that will just sound waffley and wordy. An answer that's 350-400 words of quality is better than 500 of nothing! Besides, being clear and explaining yourself concisely is a key skill for a lawyer! ☺️
    I used all the word count and was invited to AC

A

Anon 11031

I used all the word count and was invited to AC
    That's great!

What I was trying to convey though is that you don't have to. For some people hitting a 4000 character word limit on hobbies might be hard to do! Explaining yourself clearly and concisely depends on a number of things, how many points you have, what you want to discuss etc! It's almost always about quality over quantity :)

Reactions: FlapJack3000

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    That's great!

What I was trying to convey though is that you don't have to. For some people hitting a 4000 character word limit on hobbies might be hard to do! Explaining yourself clearly and concisely depends on a number of things, how many points you have, what you want to discuss etc! It's almost always about quality over quantity :)
    While I do agree that it is important to be concise and not waffle, I think that the character count is purposefully quite long as PM doesn't have a pre-AC interview so it's their chance to get to know you. I also think that it is better to be as close to the word count as possible (maybe at a maximum of 10% under) as it clearly demonstrates that you can follow instructions and work to a brief. Even if you don't have 4000 characters worth of hobbies, perhaps you could go into more detail and demonstrate the skills that those hobbies taught you or your motivations for doing them!

I also got to the PM AC and my answers were all just under the maximum character count :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Which firms recruit heavily from TC please?
    Hey! You might find this helpful!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.