2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi all,

I'm currently working on an application and I'm struggling with a specific part of the question. I need to explain the transferable skills I have, how I demonstrated them and how I will apply them as a trainee solicitor. I am fine with the first two parts but I'm not sure how to do regarding the last one.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi all,

I'm currently working on an application and I'm struggling with a specific part of the question. I need to explain the transferable skills I have, how I demonstrated them and how I will apply them as a trainee solicitor. I am fine with the first two parts but I'm not sure how to do regarding the last one.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

This is a tricky question because it asks you to do a lot of things a once. The trick is to not focus too much on the detail, as the firm is clearly looking for multiple skills rather than just one. So don't get too caught up in the first two parts of the question, to start with. As for applying your skills to being a trainee, have a think about what your skills are, and how it would actually be useful for the job.

For instance, take the example of resilience. Perhaps you have an experience which has taught you to thrive under pressure in a competitive environment (e.g. playing sports to a high level). In your answer, you could probably mention that law remains a stressful job, and that you would therefore use your resilience to guarantee your success in any situation, no matter how stressful.

Then just find another skill that trainees desperately need and approach it the same way one or two more times depending on the word count.

That's what I would do at least, but don't take my word for it!

Reactions: Jaysen

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    This is a tricky question because it asks you to do a lot of things a once. The trick is to not focus too much on the detail, as the firm is clearly looking for multiple skills rather than just one. So don't get too caught up in the first two parts of the question, to start with. As for applying your skills to being a trainee, have a think about what your skills are, and how it would actually be useful for the job.

For instance, take the example of resilience. Perhaps you have an experience which has taught you to thrive under pressure in a competitive environment (e.g. playing sports to a high level). In your answer, you could probably mention that law remains a stressful job, and that you would therefore use your resilience to guarantee your success in any situation, no matter how stressful.

Then just find another skill that trainees desperately need and approach it the same way one or two more times depending on the word count.

That's what I would do at least, but don't take my word for it!
    Thank you that's helpful, the way I understood it (because the question covers a lot) is that I would explain how to apply my transferable skills to concrete situations but it's clearly not possible as I'm not a trainee, your approach makes more sense!

Reactions: Oroma

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 6
    Nov 9, 2020
    heyy just wanted to confirm if White & Case, BCLP, Macfarlanes and Hogan Lovells are all rolling? I think their VSs are but it’s not clear from their websites whether their TCs also are! Would really appreciate it if anyone knows :) also I’m still waiting for BM and I applied on the first day!

Reactions: Oroma

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Very off topic but I am for the first time on the "other end" of an application process where I shortlist candidates and I can't imagine what grad rec have with thousands of applications. Having said that, I also realise how being rejected really doesn't always mean you're not good as genuinely so many applicants are good! I hope this makes someone feel better as I know it did for me 🧡

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen, Dheepa, JoNo and 5 others

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    heyy just wanted to confirm if White & Case, BCLP, Macfarlanes and Hogan Lovells are all rolling? I think their VSs are but it’s not clear from their websites whether their TCs also are! Would really appreciate it if anyone knows :) also I’m still waiting for BM and I applied on the first day!
    Macfarlanes are rolling.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Very off topic but I am for the first time on the "other end" of an application process where I shortlist candidates and I can't imagine what grad rec have with thousands of applications. Having said that, I also realise how being rejected really doesn't always mean you're not good as genuinely so many applicants are good! I hope this makes someone feel better as I know it did for me 🧡
    Thanks for posting this! Couldn’t agree more. You often end up making very difficult decisions as a recruiter and end up turning down a lot of very good candidates.

Gabriella7498

M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 23, 2020
    Macfarlanes, HL and BCLP are rolling! W&C is not according to their graduate brochure :)

Reactions: AspiringSol
    A

Anon 11031

Quick question - filling out an app that asks me about a personal achievement I've made that I'm particularly proud of. Last year I took steps (on my own) to get over a fear of flying that was extremely bad (I didn't get on a flight for like 10 years haha)...is this too personal to talk about for an answer to that question?
    I asked this the other day. However, I'm really struggling to flesh it out as a genuine answer to reach (or be close to) the 500 word limit. However, the question specifies the achievement has to be in the past 2 years and well...I've had a horrible past two years so there's no other achievements I can think of.

Anyway, if mentioning the flying I was thinking about explaining the methods that failed when trying to get over this fear. Moving onto what I did that worked. Affter this, I was going to talk about how the skills learned have made me into a more confident person. And how this mas made me tackle my fears and anxieties better.

This is all true to me. However, I feel like this answer just seems really weak by comparison to someone that has done extensive charity work etc.

Am I structuring it right? Is there anything I should include? Or should I just pick another example altogether?

Sorry for the ramble

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.