Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry for following up, but I'm in the midst of this too. Because it asks you about the best team, do you have to come up with a specific example of what you achieved.

For example, I'm using being the president of the law soc as mine, as the committee was great. But should I give a specific example, like planning a ball or just a general overview or achievements?
The team will need some kind of purpose, otherwise is it really a team? It won’t necessarily be a specific example - you may have worked with that team for many years and had multiple “examples” within it, but I think you have to think about why the team was good, not only to work in but because it met it’s purpose.

raquelk

May 28, 2021
Hi, I haven't got an invite but I did go to the workshop last night and they gave a lot of info about each stage if you want me to DM you that? :)

Hi! I also got an invite to the workshop but unfortunately I wasn't able to attend due to technical difficulties. I would very much appreciate it if you could DM me the info they gave in the workshop as well since there isn't a lot of info online.

Thank you!

• 🤝
Reactions: Anon 11031

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Wondering if anyone who did the Baker AC got an email yesterday saying that they would be contacted with feedback on 7 June? Strange bc I haven't received an outcome yet, and hope I'm not getting rejected over the phone :(
    Obviously they could have changed this but I’m like 70% sure they do rejections for TC offers over email and only call when it’s good news. Don’t lose hope! Fingers crossed you get it!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I swear, if I don't get a TC this year after all the pain and exhaustion I am putting myself though I might just cry.

It's awfully tough and draining.
    head pat perfect loops GIF

A

Anon 11031

❤️

I'm starting to feel really overwhelmed and rundown I think. I mean, I've taken on so many responsibilities at work, I have my exams, I'm doing an extra curricular law school at Yale, I watch a webinar nearly every single day and I'm looking for volunteering too.

Maybe this comes across as a bit of a first world problem, but I'm just so exhausted. And I know I have to prove my worth to law firms but I still feel like I'm not good enough/doing enough every single day.

Sorry for the vent, thank you for the cute GIF ❤️

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    ❤️

I'm starting to feel really overwhelmed and rundown I think. I mean, I've taken on so many responsibilities at work, I have my exams, I'm doing an extra curricular law school at Yale, I watch a webinar nearly every single day and I'm looking for volunteering too.

Maybe this comes across as a bit of a first world problem, but I'm just so exhausted. And I know I have to prove my worth to law firms but I still feel like I'm not good enough/doing enough every single day.

It's hard and you are completely justified in feeling burnt out. Just reading about all the things you're doing made me tired. If a law firm doesn't see your worth, it's their loss.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    ❤️

It sounds like something needs to give. Do you really need to do the additional volunteering when you have so many other commitments? You wouldn’t need to for any reason than your personal interests, but if that is important to you, maybe find something that is less important to step back from instead.

You are less likely to prove your abilities to law firms if you are exhausted. You need to make sure you are in good form so you can shine in applications and interviews. Being exhausted will make that more difficult for you.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    ❤️

It sounds like you are doing way too much! You really don't need to run yourself down to be able to show firms that you're a worthy candidate. Heck, chances are that it will end up being your undoing, if you're going into interviews feeling exhausted.

Make sure you take time to rest and look after your mental well-being. I can't stress how important that is! ♥️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just applied to Orricks' TC tonight. Would I even have a chance if it was rolling?
    You have submitted it, so yes you have a chance - those who wouldn’t would be those who didn’t apply!

I wouldn’t torment yourself by assuming the worst now you have submitted it.

Reactions: layk

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    ❤️

As others have said, I'd highly recommend you take a step back from some responsibilities if you can to give your mind and body a break as it will only hinder your progress as a candidate - you're doing great already so definitely no need to do anymore! Hope you're able to get some rest this bank holiday weekend :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

It sounds like something needs to give. Do you really need to do the additional volunteering when you have so many other commitments? You wouldn’t need to for any reason than your personal interests, but if that is important to you, maybe find something that is less important to step back from instead.

You are less likely to prove your abilities to law firms if you are exhausted. You need to make sure you are in good form so you can shine in applications and interviews. Being exhausted will make that more difficult for you.
    It sounds like you are doing way too much! You really don't need to run yourself down to be able to show firms that you're a worthy candidate. Heck, chances are that it will end up being your undoing, if you're going into interviews feeling exhausted.

Make sure you take time to rest and look after your mental well-being. I can't stress how important that is! ♥️
    As others have said, I'd highly recommend you take a step back from some responsibilities if you can to give your mind and body a break as it will only hinder your progress as a candidate - you're doing great already so definitely no need to do anymore! Hope you're able to get some rest this bank holiday weekend :)

It's hard and you are completely justified in feeling burnt out. Just reading about all the things you're doing made me tired. If a law firm doesn't see your worth, it's their loss.
    Thank you for all your kind words.

I was feeling so deflated and overwhelmed last night. I took some time this morning to sit and think, and I've decided not to take anything else on. I'm also going to drop one of my responsibilities at work, which won't make a whole lot of difference to my application but it will make my working week less exhausting.

I really need to focus more on building my confidence and skills again. The pandemic has severely affected my ability to feel confident and communicate with others. I think my energy would be better used focusing on my own self worth and value.

Thank you again. I really appreciate you all taking the time to point out what I should have seen a lot time ago.

Have a lovely bank holiday!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I've been in the car all day, just stopped for a break and to check in here - it's so amazing to see so many of you supporting each other here!

This has been an extraordinarily tough cycle and there's no shame whatsoever in feeling burnt out and disenfranchised.

Hope you all have a wonderful Bank Holiday weekend.

A

Anon 11031

Anyone that competed the TLT application, how long did it take you?

My Shoosmiths one took me longer than anticipated and I don't know if I should bother trying to submit an app to TLT before the deadline tomorrow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.