2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
just got the link to the BCLP test and was wondering if i could ask about what to expect from it - from the sounds of it, its not like a watson glaser at all?? is that right?

Mea

Star Member
Apr 5, 2019
This is a little of topic but does relate to TC apps, I’m currently debating deffering an LPC exam, M&A elective, to sit in august rather than June as I have an urgent neurology referral hospital appointment at the same time. I’d rather have the exam hanging over me than questions about my health. It won’t affect when I finish the course as I’m doing it part time whilst working full time and this is year 1 of 2. If I did this the august exam would be classified as an additional first attempt on my transcript, to show I sat it at a later date than I should have but not as a resit. If I did this would I have to tick the have you had to resit an exam box on a TC app as it is an additional first attempt?
I did this with my LPC module in January and if you get it deferred, it will be first attempt next time. In other words, it won't appear on your transcript that you deferred it. Try to get the application in ASAP though, BPP (if you're there) is quite slow with the response for deferral. My friend has his exam tomorrow and is breaking down because BPP hasn't responded yet.. Good luck!

TCGIRLLL

Star Member
Apr 21, 2021
Hi guys, Ive just noticed that in an app instead of September 2018 to June 2021 I put 2022 however, in the additional information section, I put that my undergraduate degree is a three-year law degree while explaining the grading system. Do you think its worth emailing grad rec or I should just leave it?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys, Ive just noticed that in an app instead of September 2018 to June 2021 I put 2022 however, in the additional information section, I put that my undergraduate degree is a three-year law degree while explaining the grading system. Do you think its worth emailing grad rec or I should just leave it?
    I would leave it!

Reactions: TCGIRLLL

EagerBeaver

May 26, 2021
    hello! has anyone gone through the BCLP online test? it has scenario based questions, situational judgement and watson glaser all rolled into one, i think... any advice and pointers would be great! i've not done one this extensive before and it says you can't really prepare for it but i'm a skeptic👀👀👀👀👀👀
    Hi Bianca, I just got the email for the BCLP test and I am freaking out. I completely agree with you. There must be some way to prepare for it. Have you submitted yours? How did you prepare? Any tips? :):):)

Mea

Star Member
    Apr 5, 2019
    Hi Bianca, I just got the email for the BCLP test and I am freaking out. I completely agree with you. There must be some way to prepare for it. Have you submitted yours? How did you prepare? Any tips? :):):)
    I did mine with BCLP a few months ago and it had a few elements to it. Firstly, it was a test of what your personality is like. I received a report in the aftermath of what I am like - strengths and weaknesses. I do think they pick personalities they think would fit with the firm (I might be wrong on this though).

Secondly, keep in mind that after the personality test, there is a small critical thinking test (WG). I think they could have given me a heads up so I could practice it.

Reactions: Georgina Evans

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I have an AC tomorrow where they've said that the written exercise will be a "memo" - what does this actually mean? Is that just an email or a letter? Any tips would be really appreciated.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have an AC tomorrow where they've said that the written exercise will be a "memo" - what does this actually mean? Is that just an email or a letter? Any tips would be really appreciated.
    More than likely more of an email than a letter format.

This is a good article that explains the purpose and format of a memo.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    On the LPC, we get given templates/precedents of letters, emails, memos and attendance notes as we get assessed for legal writing! I'd be happy to send them to you. Just PM me if so! ^^

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    On the LPC, we get given templates/precedents of letters, emails, memos and attendance notes as we get assessed for legal writing! I'd be happy to send them to you. Just PM me if so! ^^
    There's very little structure, if any, to a memo. It's probably giving you more freedom to show how you draft, write and tackle the question they've given you

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    There's very little structure, if any, to a memo. It's probably giving you more freedom to show how you draft, write and tackle the question they've given you
    Agree with this^

Tbh the best approach you can have with a memo is to always think about presenting and explaining your points in as clear a manner as possible. Definitely use bullet points and headings to make it easy to read as, if you think what a memo is for, it's for a client/supervisor to get and understand key points in as quick a way as possible.

If you have that thought process you won't go far wrong! Best of luck for the AC :)

Reactions: FM302989

MD

Jan 17, 2021
    Hi! I had an interview with them today. They said they’ll be wrapping up interviews this week and we should expect to hear back by the end of next week! When did you have your interview?
    Ah I hope it went well! I had my interview on the 11th May and they said they were going to wrap up the interviews the following week and expect to hear back then which was 2 weeks ago! Which office are you applying to?

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    I did mine with BCLP a few months ago and it had a few elements to it. Firstly, it was a test of what your personality is like. I received a report in the aftermath of what I am like - strengths and weaknesses. I do think they pick personalities they think would fit with the firm (I might be wrong on this though).

Secondly, keep in mind that after the personality test, there is a small critical thinking test (WG). I think they could have given me a heads up so I could practice it.
    Hi Mea, I was just wondering which parts of the WG test form BCLP's? (eg for Linklaters CAP test I think the WG part was assumptions ques). Thanks :)

Mea

Star Member
    Apr 5, 2019
    Hi Mea, I was just wondering which parts of the WG test form BCLP's? (eg for Linklaters CAP test I think the WG part was assumptions ques). Thanks :)
    I can't remember.. All I remember is that it had a smaller critical thinking part at the end. So draw assumptions and your reasoning was one of them. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.