2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I was wondering if anyone has an tips on tackling this question:

What personal or career goals do you have for yourself at present? (200 words max)

I'm not sure how personal these should be e.g. I am trying to improve my running distance currently but I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing to include. Should the personal goals be things that would make me a better candidate/make me more desirable for the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I was wondering if anyone has an tips on tackling this question:

What personal or career goals do you have for yourself at present? (200 words max)

I'm not sure how personal these should be e.g. I am trying to improve my running distance currently but I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing to include. Should the personal goals be things that would make me a better candidate/make me more desirable for the firm?
    I'd personally go with a mix of both personal and career but maybe focus slightly more on the work ones or the personal ones that have a connection to the career. The distance running is fine to include I just wouldn't have it as the most important/main point.

Having goals outside of work (and completely unrelated to work) make you a more desirable candidate as it shows you aren't going to be consumed by work.

A

Anon 11031

Hi all!

This feels completely unbelievable to say. But I was offered a training contract last week to start in 2022! 🎊

I genuinely have felt like I wasn't good enough for so long. After having a few hard years mentally and getting some horrible grades at university, I thought I wasn't capable of this.

I just want to say a huge thanks to this forum. You have all been so amazing (especially @Jessica Booker and @Alice G). Thank you for lifting me up when I was down and didn't believe in myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I'd personally go with a mix of both personal and career but maybe focus slightly more on the work ones or the personal ones that have a connection to the career. The distance running is fine to include I just wouldn't have it as the most important/main point.

Having goals outside of work (and completely unrelated to work) make you a more desirable candidate as it shows you aren't going to be consumed by work.
    Thanks Jessica, thats really useful

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hi all!

This feels completely unbelievable to say. But I was offered a training contract last week to start in 2022! 🎊

I genuinely have felt like I wasn't good enough for so long. After having a few hard years mentally and getting some horrible grades at university, I thought I wasn't capable of this.

I just want to say a huge thanks to this forum. You have all been so amazing (especially @Jessica Booker and @Alice G). Thank you for lifting me up when I was down and didn't believe in myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    That is fantastic!

Throughout my time on this forum your name has consistently popped up offering support and invaluable insight so it is great to see that this has been noticed! Thank you for everything that you have contributed to this forum. You are a star!

Well done and well deserved

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    YOU ARE SO AMAZING AND I HOPE THIS FINALLY MAKES YOU REALISE IT. I AM SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Congratulations!! So well deserved!

A

Anon 11031

That is fantastic!

Throughout my time on this forum your name has consistently popped up offering support and invaluable insight so it is great to see that this has been noticed! Thank you for everything that you have contributed to this forum. You are a star!

Well done and well deserved
    YOU ARE SO AMAZING AND I HOPE THIS FINALLY MAKES YOU REALISE IT. I AM SO INCREDIBLY HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations!! So well deserved!
    Thank you so much guys! I'm going to attempt to believe in myself a bit more now I think haha!

I'm not going anywhere though, I will be sticking around and continuing to help people out of course! I love this forum and I hope I can continue to give back ❤️

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️

So incredibly happy for you!!! Just having followed your journey through these forums I can honestly say this feels like a huge win for all of us at TCLA. 💓

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Massive congratulations to you!! I knew you had this in the bag! For the short time that I’ve known you on this forum, I have never doubted your worth and potential 💕💕💕 You deserve this so very much ♥️♥️♥️

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    You are so deserving of this - you have helped so many others in the forum and I am just over the moon for you!

• 🤝
    • Love
    Reactions: Alison C and Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Fantastic news and lovely to see how much everyone has been behind you while you have been on this journey.

I am sure you will help to lift our current and future members in the same way people have supported you.

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️

AHHH! That is AMAZING news! Congratulations! We all knew you would smash it, and the firm you got an offer from is lucky to have you!

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    Please submit it this week if you want a good chance at being invited to the voice interview! I attended the AG masterclass with Aspiring Solicitors and they said latest submission should be this week.
    Hi! Ive been preparing for an AC for another firm and I haven't had a chance to complete mine yet - I can probably do so in about two days. In your opinion do you think it would still be worth it?

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    So I am applying for Freshfields as my final app. I've never really had to write a personal statement for a firm before, and the nerves of this whole cycle of rejections I think it making it harder for me to think of where to start and putting me off. I am going to try and break the personal statement up in to bits or questions I can answer then bring it all together.

If that makes any sense... My brain is complete mush these days.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to break it up? I think I will start with the obvious why law/why commercial law and why Freshfields but I think once I get to talking about myself I get less sure on how to approach it. I've never been good at selling positive things about myself etc.

Reactions: em311

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hi! Ive been preparing for an AC for another firm and I haven't had a chance to complete mine yet - I can probably do so in about two days. In your opinion do you think it would still be worth it?
    I don't think they've started to send out invites so it's worth the shot especially if you've already started your application! Best of luck with it :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: RkRk0681
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.