Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
So I am applying for Freshfields as my final app. I've never really had to write a personal statement for a firm before, and the nerves of this whole cycle of rejections I think it making it harder for me to think of where to start and putting me off. I am going to try and break the personal statement up in to bits or questions I can answer then bring it all together.

If that makes any sense... My brain is complete mush these days.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to break it up? I think I will start with the obvious why law/why commercial law and why Freshfields but I think once I get to talking about myself I get less sure on how to approach it. I've never been good at selling positive things about myself etc.
Hi there,

You may find this piece I wrote helpful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....tres-interview-tips-2019-2020.1423/post-16889

This was based on guidance received at an open day in Dec 2019 and was the approach I followed.

saraleslie26

Standard Member
Jun 7, 2021
Just finished my first AC with shoosmiths and it was horrendous :( I didn’t finish the written exercise, let nerves get the better of me in the presentation and finished the group task early which I’m not sure is a good thing.

Glad it’s over with now but honestly do not know how you guys succeed at AC’s!? I found it so difficult today!

Just going to try and put this one behind me and chalk it up to experience rather than let myself get disappointed.

Asbi

Star Member
May 15, 2021
Hi all!

This feels completely unbelievable to say. But I was offered a training contract last week to start in 2022! 🎊

I genuinely have felt like I wasn't good enough for so long. After having a few hard years mentally and getting some horrible grades at university, I thought I wasn't capable of this.

I just want to say a huge thanks to this forum. You have all been so amazing (especially @Jessica Booker and @Alice G). Thank you for lifting me up when I was down and didn't believe in myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️
Congratulations on your TC offer! Hope you are celebrating

• Love
Reactions: Anon 11031

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi all!

This feels completely unbelievable to say. But I was offered a training contract last week to start in 2022! 🎊

I genuinely have felt like I wasn't good enough for so long. After having a few hard years mentally and getting some horrible grades at university, I thought I wasn't capable of this.

I just want to say a huge thanks to this forum. You have all been so amazing (especially @Jessica Booker and @Alice G). Thank you for lifting me up when I was down and didn't believe in myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Huge congrats!

• Love

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Ah what wonderful news! I'm so so happy for you and delighted to hear you'll be sticking around to give back to future candidates - really says a lot about you as a person and no doubt your firm is lucky to have you! Which firm is your TC with if you don't mind me asking? Huge well done again - make sure you take time to celebrate :D

• Love

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Feeling rather deflated. Got to the final stage interview for Fieldfisher, had it almost 2 weeks ago, and I’m the only one to have not heard back from them despite offers being made last week.

A rejection is a rejection - I had a good cry about it yesterday lmao, but what really bothers me most is that A. During their employability session before the AC, they told us if we were successful with the AC and were invited to the final interview, we had ‘more or less already got the job’ so were more than likely to receive an offer, and B. The fact they couldn’t have told me on Friday, or even yesterday, thus prolonging the stress and anxiety of knowing it’ll be a no? I don’t really understand. I would’ve accepted the decision as it comes (and still will when it’s made official, probably today), but I find it really disheartening that they allow people to go into the final interview with that already ringing in their ears.
    It was the only firm that I’d even passed the first stage for, every other application I’ve made this year so far I’ve been rejected outright, and with about 3 left, it’s looking less likely I’ll get the opportunity this year.
    Really feeling like I want to give up at this point if I’m completely honest 😂

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Feeling rather deflated. Got to the final stage interview for Fieldfisher, had it almost 2 weeks ago, and I’m the only one to have not heard back from them despite offers being made last week.

A rejection is a rejection - I had a good cry about it yesterday lmao, but what really bothers me most is that A. During their employability session before the AC, they told us if we were successful with the AC and were invited to the final interview, we had ‘more or less already got the job’ so were more than likely to receive an offer, and B. The fact they couldn’t have told me on Friday, or even yesterday, thus prolonging the stress and anxiety of knowing it’ll be a no? I don’t really understand. I would’ve accepted the decision as it comes (and still will when it’s made official, probably today), but I find it really disheartening that they allow people to go into the final interview with that already ringing in their ears.
    It was the only firm that I’d even passed the first stage for, every other application I’ve made this year so far I’ve been rejected outright, and with about 3 left, it’s looking less likely I’ll get the opportunity this year.
    Not sure if I've missed prior correspondence, but you haven't been rejected yet?

You are right that it may very well still be a rejection, but it could also mean they are taking more time to get feedback and make a final decision. I can appreciate it's frustrating when others have heard back, but they won't be holding out for the sake of it.

I also think it's a great sign you made it to the final interview, even if you didn't make it to the final cut. That would tell me you must be doing something right.

hd112211

• Feb 20, 2021

Sorry to hear. But always remember that reaching that stage is a fantastic achievement even if you didn't pass the last hurdle. It's a strong endorsement from the firm that you were one of the top candidates.

It is always stressful not to hear back even if it is confirmation of a rejection. Sometimes I think they don't get back to you because they are waiting on the offers they have made to be accepted.

Keep your head up and plough on. I've been in your shoes this year and it's a feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone. But take the feedback and use it to better your next attempt!

Reactions: karinny

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Did they give you a timeframe as to when you would hear back? If that timeframe is up/over, it might be worthwhile giving them a call.

Sometimes firms can say things that are wrong where things change from year to year. From the bits of info I have picked up on Fieldfisher this year, I suspect they had a stronger batch of candidates at the AC stage which meant inviting more people to final round interview. If they have also had a strong acceptance rate, that might be why their system this year if very different.

To me, I’d look at it potentially the other way though. You haven’t been unsuccessful yet - you are still in contention until told otherwise. There are 101 reasons why they are still considering you.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Not sure if I've missed prior correspondence, but you haven't been rejected yet?

You are right that it may very well still be a rejection, but it could also mean they are taking more time to get feedback and make a final decision. I can appreciate it's frustrating when others have heard back, but they won't be holding out for the sake of it.

I also think it's a great sign you made it to the final interview, even if you didn't make it to the final cut. That would tell me you must be doing something right.
    As of 2 minutes ago I had the official rejection. They basically told me they didn’t see the qualities they wanted but want me to apply next year.

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Did they give you a timeframe as to when you would hear back? If that timeframe is up/over, it might be worthwhile giving them a call.

Sometimes firms can say things that are wrong where things change from year to year. From the bits of info I have picked up on Fieldfisher this year, I suspect they had a stronger batch of candidates at the AC stage which meant inviting more people to final round interview. If they have also had a strong acceptance rate, that might be why their system this year if very different.

To me, I’d look at it potentially the other way though. You haven’t been unsuccessful yet - you are still in contention until told otherwise. There are 101 reasons why they are still considering you.
    As of two minutes ago, they gave me a quick call and just basically said the interviewing partner’s didn’t see what they were looking for but want me to interview next year. They said I’d receive in-depth feedback, so to set up a time where I could have that at some point end of this month or something.

dext92

Apr 1, 2021
    As of 2 minutes ago I had the official rejection. They basically told me they didn’t see the qualities they wanted but want me to next year.

I'm really sorry to hear this. But try and think of it as re-direction to another opportunity. I truly believe getting through to the AC is an amazing achievement in itself and shows that you are on the right track! So you should be very proud of yourself. Give yourself a few days to process the news, reflect, take on their feedback, and then put your energy into the next opportunity! you WILL get there! I am in a similar position to you, and keep telling myself this every day!!

Reactions: Jaysen and karinny

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    Sorry to hear. But always remember that reaching that stage is a fantastic achievement even if you didn't pass the last hurdle. It's a strong endorsement from the firm that you were one of the top candidates.

It is always stressful not to hear back even if it is confirmation of a rejection. Sometimes I think they don't get back to you because they are waiting on the offers they have made to be accepted.

Keep your head up and plough on. I've been in your shoes this year and it's a feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone. But take the feedback and use it to better your next attempt!
    Thank you for your words, I’ll be back next year 👍🏻

Noodles52

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 24, 2021
    I'm really sorry to hear this. But try and think of it as re-direction to another opportunity. I truly believe getting through to the AC is an amazing achievement in itself and shows that you are on the right track! So you should be very proud of yourself. Give yourself a few days to process the news, reflect, take on their feedback, and then put your energy into the next opportunity! you WILL get there! I am in a similar position to you, and keep telling myself this every day!!
    For sure, thank you for your words and good luck to you too!!

Reactions: dext92

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all!

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Late to the party here, but I couldn't be happier to read this. Well done and well deserved :)

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031 and FM302989
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.