2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hi all!

This feels completely unbelievable to say. But I was offered a training contract last week to start in 2022! 🎊

I genuinely have felt like I wasn't good enough for so long. After having a few hard years mentally and getting some horrible grades at university, I thought I wasn't capable of this.

I just want to say a huge thanks to this forum. You have all been so amazing (especially @Jessica Booker and @Alice G). Thank you for lifting me up when I was down and didn't believe in myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Weight off your back, must be such a relief to be done with applications!

Best of luck for the future!

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi all!

This feels completely unbelievable to say. But I was offered a training contract last week to start in 2022! 🎊

I genuinely have felt like I wasn't good enough for so long. After having a few hard years mentally and getting some horrible grades at university, I thought I wasn't capable of this.

I just want to say a huge thanks to this forum. You have all been so amazing (especially @Jessica Booker and @Alice G). Thank you for lifting me up when I was down and didn't believe in myself.

❤️❤️❤️❤️

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: YESSSSS YESSSS YESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    I can’t believe I’m writing this but I’ve been offered a TC…..!!!!!! This was my third app cycle so I have literally been waiting years for the call and I was so over the moon I cried!!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum I was pretty active last year but have kept a much lower profile this season partly because I’ve been so exhausted by the entire process but all the support and resources have been invaluable!!!!!

I fully understand how difficult balancing work apps and life can be… but keep going guys we’ve all got this!!!!

A

Anon 11031

I can’t believe I’m writing this but I’ve been offered a TC…..!!!!!! This was my third app cycle so I have literally been waiting years for the call and I was so over the moon I cried!!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone on this forum I was pretty active last year but have kept a much lower profile this season partly because I’ve been so exhausted by the entire process but all the support and resources have been invaluable!!!!!

I fully understand how difficult balancing work apps and life can be… but keep going guys we’ve all got this!!!!
    MASSIVE CONGRATS! Make sure to celebrate - three cycles of hard work has paid off! :)

Who is the lucky firm?! Again, huge well done!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020

WOOOOOO congrats!!!! That's amazing!!! Who is the lucky firm?

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Anyone know when firms generally start getting back to candidates for Direct TCs? Waiting on quite a lot of applications now- DWF, Macfarlanes, BCLP, eversheds, WFW and others!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Amazing news!!

Share Discover GIF

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

So thrilled for you! What an amazing moment for - make sure to celebrate lots with your family and friends :D

Reactions: c1070

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    hiya, wondering if anyone knows how many trainees White and case recruit directly from training contract apps and also am I right in thinking that there is no word limit for the cover letter? - trying to decide whether I should put effort into this application or just focus on others as Im so busy with full time work atm :(

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Hi, I'm currently completing an application and oddly noticed that there isn't a word count to the questions. The questions are very wide, I feel like I can go on and write an essay haha... With that being said, how many words would you say is appropriate, should I limit myself to a specific amount (250-500 words)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I'm currently completing an application and oddly noticed that there isn't a word count to the questions. The questions are very wide, I feel like I can go on and write an essay haha... With that being said, how many words would you say is appropriate, should I limit myself to a specific amount (250-500 words)?
    What are the questions?

lawgal101

Esteemed Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    What are the questions?
    The questions are regarding the following:
    - Key business challenges for the firm over the next 3-5 years (I don't know when to stop with this one)
    - Extracurricular activities and how these skills will help in becoming a successful lawyer
    - What first class client service looks like to you and examples of where you have delivered first class client/customer service
    - Example of when you have been able to identify an opportunity and make it happen
    - How you believe you fit with X firm's corporate value?

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Finishing work to come online to all the TC announcements has been a lovely way for my evening to go! Many congratulations to all those who have secured offers.

To those who didn't, especially after AC's etc - as hard as it is, try not to fret too much. People go through this at different paces, some of those who go on to be the best lawyers were 2nd/ 3rd/ 4th cycle applicants! Take some time to recover emotionally (ice cream/ takeaway/ wine/ dogs are all highly recommended), and don't beat yourself up about it. You'll get there.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The questions are regarding the following:
    - Key business challenges for the firm over the next 3-5 years (I don't know when to stop with this one)
    - Extracurricular activities and how these skills will help in becoming a successful lawyer
    - What first class client service looks like to you and examples of where you have delivered first class client/customer service
    - Example of when you have been able to identify an opportunity and make it happen
    - How you believe you fit with X firm's corporate value?
    I’d go with up to 400 per question. More than 2,000 words is a lot to read.

One question could be slightly longer if another is shorter though.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Anyone know just how strict A Level requirements are with firms? I imagine very strict, but just wanted to check. I am running out of firms I can apply to, and most of the firms I wanted to apply to have high A Level requirements so I ended up avoiding them.

I got CDE on my A Levels after struggling with my mental health. The flip side of this is that I don't like explaining it in mitigating circ. because I feel they don't view my mental health particularly favourably either lol, but I do it if I need to.

@Jessica Booker , do you have any info on this?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.