2022 TCs and GDL

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Have just spotted that a firm I applied to has postponed their ACs until autumn and it seems a number of firms are going this route.

As a career-changer I need to do the GDL but don’t plan to do so unless I have secured a TC (if I can’t get a TC then it’s a huge risk given I already have a good job).

To start a TC in 2022 I’d need to do the GDL in September. Will providers shift the course start date to January and either condense the length of the course or extend so that it finishes over the summer? Or will law firms be recruiting more law grads and those who have self-funded the GDL for their 2022 intake as a consequence?

Just weighing up my options as seems I may end up having to wait until next year.

Thanks.

Reactions: NadineBusty

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
Might be worth contacting the firm directly. BPP for example offer Jan start dates for the GDL. In theory you could still do the GDL in Jan and still be able to start a TC in the later 2022 TC intake (August/September).

It really depends on the firm in question which is why I think it's best you contact them directly. Some firms are flexible on start dates and others are more strict in their recruitment schedules.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Have just spotted that a firm I applied to has postponed their ACs until autumn and it seems a number of firms are going this route.

As a career-changer I need to do the GDL but don’t plan to do so unless I have secured a TC (if I can’t get a TC then it’s a huge risk given I already have a good job).

To start a TC in 2022 I’d need to do the GDL in September. Will providers shift the course start date to January and either condense the length of the course or extend so that it finishes over the summer? Or will law firms be recruiting more law grads and those who have self-funded the GDL for their 2022 intake as a consequence?

Just weighing up my options as seems I may end up having to wait until next year.

Thanks.

Given it’s the last year of the GDL (for the solicitor route anyway), I doubt they will change dates this year. Also won’t help when people then need to start the LPC the following September either.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Given it’s the last year of the GDL (for the solicitor route anyway), I doubt they will change dates this year. Also won’t help when people then need to start the LPC the following September either.

My thinking was GDL ending in August and then straight on to the LPC, or a temporary shift where they offer extra dates for both LPC and GDL. Otherwise I’d imagine their September course will be undersubscribed (though numbers wise it might be fairly insignificant thinking about it, since a lot of larger firms are continuing to recruit as normal but via virtual ACs instead and only about half of their intakes would be taking the GDL anyway).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My thinking was GDL ending in August and then straight on to the LPC, or a temporary shift where they offer extra dates for both LPC and GDL. Otherwise I’d imagine their September course will be undersubscribed (though numbers wise it might be fairly insignificant thinking about it, since a lot of larger firms are continuing to recruit as normal but via virtual ACs instead and only about half of their intakes would be taking the GDL anyway).

Not that straight forward unfortunately.

8 month course meaning exams could run until August or September. That leaves little to no time for results, which then means on boarding to the LPC could be tricky as there isn’t enough time.

They are unlikely to provide additional dates for courses that are already been run down.

Best case scenario is to join the last Jan/Feb GDL intake, but that means you may need to consider a March/September 2023 intake instead...

Their courses are always undersubscribed (usually by about 30%).

• ℹ️
Reactions: Daniel Boden and Changes

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Not that straight forward unfortunately.

8 month course meaning exams could run until August or September. That leaves little to no time for results, which then means on boarding to the LPC could be tricky as there isn’t enough time.

They are unlikely to provide additional dates for courses that are already been run down.

Best case scenario is to join the last Jan/Feb GDL intake, but that means you may need to consider a March/September 2023 intake instead...

Their courses are always undersubscribed (usually by about 30%).

Useful - thanks.

So they wouldn’t shift the dates around in light of coronavirus to accommodate firms needs? Hence the most likely scenario is firms who delay, assuming they are committed to recruiting their usual number, are going to be offering places to self-funders and law grads instead?

At least if they’re 30% undersubscribed, they won’t just offer more places to make up the shortfall, so I guess there’s a small chance they’ll do things differently.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Useful - thanks.

So they wouldn’t shift the dates around in light of coronavirus to accommodate firms needs? Hence the most likely scenario is firms who delay, assuming they are committed to recruiting their usual number, are going to be offering places to self-funders and law grads instead?

At least if they’re 30% undersubscribed, they won’t just offer more places to make up the shortfall, so I guess there’s a small chance they’ll do things differently.

Firms’ needs are not going to be determined by assessment centres dates. They will be determined by trainee intake start dates if anything.

Plus it will cost an awful lot more money to put on additional courses across the summer. It’s not as simple as thinking that can be done - you’ll have to find academic and support staff willing to work over the summer. The cost of doing so will be significant - you’ve got to be pretty confident you would get that money back from a course that would only impact a small number of people.

Lots of applicants come to this later in their academics. A higher proportion of law students and self funders are not uncommon for many firms anyway.

Also, this is a good opportunity to test out the SQE on non law students. You could recruit them this year for a 2022 start date and potentially put them through the SQE in one year or less, rather than putting them through two years of the GDL and LPC.

I think they always just offer “to make up the numbers” unfortunately. These courses aren’t difficult to get on to and have a fairly low benchmark unfortunately.

Reactions: Changes

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Firms’ needs are not going to be determined by assessment centres dates. They will be determined by trainee intake start dates if anything.

Plus it will cost an awful lot more money to put on additional courses across the summer. It’s not as simple as thinking that can be done - you’ll have to find academic and support staff willing to work over the summer. The cost of doing so will be significant - you’ve got to be pretty confident you would get that money back from a course that would only impact a small number of people.

Lots of applicants come to this later in their academics. A higher proportion of law students and self funders are not uncommon for many firms anyway.

Also, this is a good opportunity to test out the SQE on non law students. You could recruit them this year for a 2022 start date and potentially put them through the SQE in one year or less, rather than putting them through two years of the GDL and LPC.

I think they always just offer “to make up the numbers” unfortunately. These courses aren’t difficult to get on to and have a fairly low benchmark unfortunately.

Good points re: additional costs of running over summer. Interesting thought on the SQE. If that happened that would be ideal as could work and save for another year and only have one year of virtually zero income.

Yeah, was aware of the courses not being all that challenging to get onto and being undersubscribed. More thinking that that means supply of places already exceeds demand, so any shortfall in GDL numbers is unlikely to be increased by just sending out more offers to self-funders.

So essentially I just need to wait and see. Potentially will need to apply for 2023 instead.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Good points re: additional costs of running over summer. Interesting thought on the SQE. If that happened that would be ideal as could work and save for another year and only have one year of virtually zero income.

Yeah, was aware of the courses not being all that challenging to get onto and being undersubscribed. More thinking that that means supply of places already exceeds demand, so any shortfall in GDL numbers is unlikely to be increased by just sending out more offers to self-funders.

So essentially I just need to wait and see. Potentially will need to apply for 2023 instead.

For someone in your position, you may just want to wait for the SQE anyway... could save you a lot of time and potentially money too.

Reactions: Changes

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
For info - the firm in question got back to me and said they were planning to enrol people on the fast track GDL in January. So a bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

That would actually work better for me as a career changer. Didn’t realise there was a fast track GDL.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jessica Booker

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
It’s not, are they delaying TC assessments too? This is a smaller city firm. Saw another firm has delayed until early 2021. Not sure how that’ll work for people who need to do the GDL, maybe they’ll shift to SQE.

Reed Smith doesn't hold TC assessments. But they have delayed their summer vacation scheme to Autumn. I genuinely do not know how they are approaching it. It may work for someone going on their final year of an LLB but won't work for non-law students.

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Reed Smith doesn't hold TC assessments. But they have delayed their summer vacation scheme to Autumn. I genuinely do not know how they are approaching it. It may work for someone going on their final year of an LLB but won't work for non-law students.

It’s less than ideal. But seems there is an accelerated GDL programme. I still haven’t found it but presumably it exists if law firms are talking about it?

University of law have a GDL that starts in January, so presumably that finishes on time to start the LPC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.