3 Vacation Schemes - 3 Rejections

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Hi all,

Last year I had two VS, and this year I had another, all well-known firm. I was unable to a training contract in all 3 VS. I feel really depressed from this, I don't know If I am good enough anymore, I feel like the number of firms I can apply to is limited and this VS was my last chance.

The last few days have been pretty hard on me mentally, I just don't know what to do anymore, I really want a TC. If anyone could offer some advice on my situation that would be great and would mean a lot to me.

Thanks in advance.

• 🤝
Reactions: divaination

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Hi all,

Last year I had two VS, and this year I had another, all well-known firm. I was unable to a training contract in all 3 VS. I feel really depressed from this, I don't know If I am good enough anymore, I feel like the number of firms I can apply to is limited and this VS was my last chance.

The last few days have been pretty hard on me mentally, I just don't know what to do anymore, I really want a TC. If anyone could offer some advice on my situation that would be great and would mean a lot to me.

Thanks in advance.
Hi @Moon,

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling this way! First things first, take some time to relax and get out of the law application mindset for a bit - when I’m feeling down surrounding myself with family and friends always helps! 🙂

Secondly, I would take the time to reflect on any feedback given at each VS, or request feedback where possible. Sometimes it is something small you can work on and sometimes it might just not be the right firm/s for you!

Thirdly, make the most of your network. When I applied, I contacted future trainees on LinkedIn (they tend to be less busy!) at each firm I applied to and asked them politely to review my applications and/or discuss later stages of the application process. This will give you a better insight into the specific firm, which you will likely find useful during any future vacation scheme itself.

And lastly - I know this will be a confidence knock, but as resilience is one of the key attributes of lawyers, when you succeed it will be all the more of an achievement. I have every confidence as long as you reflect on feedback and implement any constructive criticism going forward, you will have every success.

I hope this helps 😊

• 🤝
Reactions: Erin and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @Moon,

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling this way! First things first, take some time to relax and get out of the law application mindset for a bit - when I’m feeling down surrounding myself with family and friends always helps! 🙂

Secondly, I would take the time to reflect on any feedback given at each VS, or request feedback where possible. Sometimes it is something small you can work on and sometimes it might just not be the right firm/s for you!

Thirdly, make the most of your network. When I applied, I contacted future trainees on LinkedIn (they tend to be less busy!) at each firm I applied to and asked them politely to review my applications and/or discuss later stages of the application process. This will give you a better insight into the specific firm, which you will likely find useful during any future vacation scheme itself.

And lastly - I know this will be a confidence knock, but as resilience is one of the key attributes of lawyers, when you succeed it will be all the more of an achievement. I have every confidence as long as you reflect on feedback and implement any constructive criticism going forward, you will have every success.

I hope this helps 😊
I don't think I could've said this any better! @Moon you've done son well by reaching out for support on the forum and trying to find a way to bioynce back. The first, and most important, order of business is to take care of yourself and be extra kind. You've worked hard and made it through to application stages that most people don't and you've done incredibly well. Try to do things outside being an spiring solicitor to remind yourself of who you are beyond a TC applicant- engage in your hobbies and spend some good time with your family and friends to get through the initial stress of these rejections, and then as @Blue cacti said, begin reflecting on each VS and also your motivations for a career in commercial law. Wishing you the very best- you have got this, you just need a bit of a break and some time to reflect so you can come back to TCs, if this is what you truly want, with full steam.

Reactions: Blue cacti

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Thank you both.
I don't think I could've said this any better! @Moon you've done son well by reaching out for support on the forum and trying to find a way to bioynce back. The first, and most important, order of business is to take care of yourself and be extra kind. You've worked hard and made it through to application stages that most people don't and you've done incredibly well. Try to do things outside being an spiring solicitor to remind yourself of who you are beyond a TC applicant- engage in your hobbies and spend some good time with your family and friends to get through the initial stress of these rejections, and then as @Blue cacti said, begin reflecting on each VS and also your motivations for a career in commercial law. Wishing you the very best- you have got this, you just need a bit of a break and some time to reflect so you can come back to TCs, if this is what you truly want, with full steam.
Hi @Moon,

I hope this helps 😊

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.