axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone,

I have been studying the LPC part time since 2021 and was due to complete the course in 2023, however I have had to defer many of my final exams due to mitigating circumstances and therefore won't finish until the middle of this year.

I was wondering since I will have to put from 2021 - 2024 in my VS/TC applications, will this impact the way I'm seen by firms? I am worried that it will be seen as a negative as it will have been essentially 3 years to complete the LPC rather than the usual 1 for full time or 2 for part time.

Thanks

@Jessica Booker
Hey @abrzq,

I think it would be best to discuss your extenuating circumstances with the firm as I am sure they will take those into account. However, I personally do not think it will hurt you as much as you had to defer for a year and you were working part-time. As much as it is hard to look at the positives, you should focus on all the skills you are showing by just stating that you attended the LPC part time whilst working and applying to vacation schemes and training contract and also experiencing mitigating circumstances. This shows tenacity, perseverance, growth, strength, confidence and they will appreciate all of these.

In conclusion, they will not judge you negatively based on that, I am sure of it!

Good luck with the application and always believe in yourself and your experiences as they make you unique!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.