a lost student and her future uncertain career

pri

Standard Member
Mar 8, 2024
Hey guys! I'm a scond year law student. I'm interested in corporate law and quite sure I want to work in this field which I find very fascinating. I've always wanted to work in a law firm in a big city, I find that working in highly stimulating environments is very good for me. What I'm struggling with is making a plan for the fututre... I'm a good student and will hopefully graduate with first class honours. My degree is focused on global and comparative law. I'm debating on getting a post graduate degree in European Business Law to strengthen my knoweldge in corporate law. In the meantime I'm planning on starting with work experiences at some local law firms and maybe attend some firms' open days and workshops. I'd also like to get involved with ELSA (european law students assosciation) and get a prominent role in the community. Furthermore I'm planning on opening an online newspaper where I can keep fellow students updated on relevant commercial law news and events. This is how I plan to build my CV
What I struggle with the most is what to do after... On this platform I hear a lot on vacation schemes, which are not really a thing where I come from (Italy). Should I apply for one? Or can I still land a training contract with good education background and some work experiences? I'd like to work for an intenrantional firm, potentially either in the UK or the US. Are there some general rules and requirements to apply for training contracts in these countries? How long in advance is one supposed to apply for training contracts? I'm scared it'll take too long and eventually it'll be too late to start my career. I'm so lost I'd really appreciate if anyone could help.

pri

Standard Member
Mar 8, 2024
The problem is that I'm already a second year student and haven't applied for any yet... I'm not sure I'll be able to apply for next summer but there's a variety of problems I'm facing when it comes to applications. First of all, the majority of firms specifically state that the students applying for the vac schems should have the "permission" to work in the UK which is someting I don't have as a non UK citizen. That would mean I'd have to get a Visa which is quite expensive and usually won't allow me to work the hours the vac scheme is asking me to do. I've had these issues in relation to the majority of the firms people talk about on this platform but maybe if I look for other firms I won't, idk. Secondly, even if I did apply for a vaction scheme next year, I don't have any experience in the field so I doubt any firm would be interested in my application... I coould wait to get some more experience before applying, the problem is that the majority of firms ask for second/last year students, I think I'll be able to get some working experiences only after I graduate... Everything I'm saying is based on the firms people talk about on this platform (so usually important ones) and what they ask for. Do you think if I looked for smaller firms I'd be able to get in more easily? So sorry for the long message I have so any doubts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The problem is that I'm already a second year student and haven't applied for any yet... I'm not sure I'll be able to apply for next summer but there's a variety of problems I'm facing when it comes to applications. First of all, the majority of firms specifically state that the students applying for the vac schems should have the "permission" to work in the UK which is someting I don't have as a non UK citizen. That would mean I'd have to get a Visa which is quite expensive and usually won't allow me to work the hours the vac scheme is asking me to do. I've had these issues in relation to the majority of the firms people talk about on this platform but maybe if I look for other firms I won't, idk. Secondly, even if I did apply for a vaction scheme next year, I don't have any experience in the field so I doubt any firm would be interested in my application... I coould wait to get some more experience before applying, the problem is that the majority of firms ask for second/last year students, I think I'll be able to get some working experiences only after I graduate... Everything I'm saying is based on the firms people talk about on this platform (so usually important ones) and what they ask for. Do you think if I looked for smaller firms I'd be able to get in more easily? So sorry for the long message I have so any doubts.
are you studying law in Italy?

pri

Standard Member
Mar 8, 2024
Yeah I'm studying law in Italy but it's an english degree so I'm not studying italian law but more like international law and various fields of law from a comparative perspective

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I'm studying law in Italy but it's an english degree so I'm not studying italian law but more like international law and various fields of law from a comparative perspective
If you are not studying English law, then you’d not be applying for vacation schemes or training contracts until your final year anyway.

Vacation schemes will be tricky without the right to work in the U.K. However, you could look to build up equivalent experience in Italy with firms who have offices both in Italy and the U.K. This would be good equivalent experience to then apply for training contracts for.

You may also want to consider looking into postgraduate studies in the U.K., as this will currently give you the right to work for two years after graduating, and will open up a lot of different opportunities to you.

Reactions: axelbeugre

pri

Standard Member
Mar 8, 2024
Thank you for your suggestions, I think looking for a firm in Italy that has offices in the UK too is probably a very good idea, I'll look into that. A postgraduate degree in the UK on the other hand I'm not sure if it can work, I'm trying to avoid loans and I'd definetely need one to study in the UK. Thank you again, it's nice to have some support and help, no one knows anything about these things here.

Reactions: axelbeugre

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
Thank you for your suggestions, I think looking for a firm in Italy that has offices in the UK too is probably a very good idea, I'll look into that. A postgraduate degree in the UK on the other hand I'm not sure if it can work, I'm trying to avoid loans and I'd definetely need one to study in the UK. Thank you again, it's nice to have some support and help, no one knows anything about these things here.
Maybe try the reverse of a U.K. firm with a presence in Italy?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I totally agree with the advice @Jessica Booker gave you. I am from Italy myself and I did study politics and I was able to secure a training contract because I came to the UK for a postgraduate degree in a non-law subject at LSE. I did have to take some loan (unfortunately, since I got a full scholarship for my undergraduate degree) but I think that it was very worth it because now I am on the path to qualify as a lawyer here. I also did receive a scholarship from LSE (which is possible) so I would not be discouraged and still apply for masters!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.